10k GF ring

corky569

So I found a ring stamped 10K GF. I'm pretty sure this means gold filled. My question is...is there a difference between gold plated and gold filled? If they're synonymous, why the different terms? I would include a pic but it really isn't that great a find.

According to eBay

Believe it or not, I got this from eBay:

Gold Filled: Gold filled is an actual layer of gold-pressure bonded to another metal. Gold filled is not to be confused with gold plating as filled literally has 100% more gold than gold plating. Gold filled is much more valuable and tarnish resistant. It does not flake off, rub off or turn colors. As a matter of fact, anyone who can wear gold can wear gold filled without worries of any allergic reaction to the jewelry. Gold filled jewelry is an economical alternative to solid gold!

Nice find.....

HH, Dave.....

Not to take over the post of and thing. Just got a question about (GF)gold filled. Has anyone ever cashed GF in for money? Or is it not worth it?

No personal experience, but I doubt the gold buyers would want it. It may have 100% more gold than gold-plated, but it's still not much gold. It might be possible to strip off the gold using electrolysis, then recover it (?).

Back
Top Bottom