• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Folly Beach SC Clad Find

pennysaver

Drove 240 miles to Folly Beach to have some dental work done and did a little detecting on the beach. Found a little bit of clad and nothing more. I did not find one pop top or any trash at all. Folly beach was a camp during the Civil War. There are lots of lead bullets on the island but none on the beach. One picture is of a sandstorm yesterday. Monday was very pretty and I was glad to be outside in the fresh are and sunshine. Hope you enjoy the pictures. I also got invited to detect near Beaufort, SC where there was a rice plantation in the swamp that slaves made in the 1700,s and early 1800's. That will keep me dreaming for awhile. Jim

Attachments

• CladCoins.JPG
    CladCoins.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 2,092
  • FollyBeach.JPG
    FollyBeach.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 1,956
  • FollyBeach2.JPG
    FollyBeach2.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 1,923
  • PrizmIVandScoop.JPG
    PrizmIVandScoop.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 1,993
  • FollyBeachSandStorm.JPG
    FollyBeachSandStorm.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,766
Nice pictures!! Looks like a beautiful part of the country! :yes: Thanks for sharing! Guess you didn't find enough to pay for the dental work?!?:D:p:lol:

Great looking beaches, and great story. History is kind of short here, looking forward to your future exploits!! Thanks. :yes:

Thanks for the pictures. How's the wet sand there? On the left coast, it's very highly mineralized and difficult to hunt. Did your Prizim IV handle it okay?

John, the Prizm IV didn't do very well in the wet sand. The tide was coming in fast when I got to the beach so I stayed on dry sand. Playing around with the settings I found most of the crazy one time beeps were hitting on the nickel a lot. So I just notched that out and it got about 50 percent of the beeps out. I also turned down the sen control two notches and it was useable. On dry sand it was perfect. If you have any tips for wet sand for the prizm I would sure like to here them. Jim

John, the Prizm IV didn't do very well in the wet sand. The tide was coming in fast when I got to the beach so I stayed on dry sand. Playing around with the settings I found most of the crazy one time beeps were hitting on the nickel a lot. So I just notched that out and it got about 50 percent of the beeps out. I also turned down the sen control two notches and it was useable. On dry sand it was perfect. If you have any tips for wet sand for the prizm I would sure like to here them. Jim
Jim...not many VLF detectors do well in mineralized, wet sand. It sounds like you did all you can do...turning sensitivity way down. Of course, when you do that you loose depth.

My Prizim III (basically the same as your IV without the notch) doesn't like the California wet stuff and my MXT goes bonkers.

I live close enough to the coast to warrant a couple of detectors to handle the situation, but for those who only occasionally hunt mineralized beaches...just stay in the dry stuff.

Good luck at the plantation jim. Good job on the clad. Something is always better than nothing. WOLF

Those pics bring back memories. I used to vacation there with my parents every year when I was little. <from about age 5-14> It doesnt look like its changed at all.

Congrats on the finds.

Back
Top Bottom