2 foot depth gold broach target

ac3100

decorative broach/necklace piece 18k gold

1.5 inches in diameter

-

2 feet in the ground.

Will a higher end traditional detector find something that size that deep assuming normal soil conditions?

If so do you have a recommendation?

Gold is not very conductive and gold that deep will always be difficult. I would think that some sort of two-box detector might work, but we are talking serious money there. If you were hoping for a detector under $1K to do this, I don't think that's going to happen.

--Tom

Yes, gold conducts electricity, but not as well as other metals. Silver conducts better, but also oxidizes easier, and that's why gold contacts in electronics are often used. I just wanted to clear that up.

--Tom

Gold is not very conductive and gold that deep will always be difficult. I would think that some sort of two-box detector might work, but we are talking serious money there. If you were hoping for a detector under $1K to do this, I don't think that's going to happen.

--Tom

Thanks Tom,

I have a larger budget than 1k. 3-5k would be approaching the limit. 3 would obviously be better than 5. But at the same time you don’t want to go without the right equipment. Doing so, and failing would be worst case.

So.. I am open to more expensive suggestions.

This is a broach that you KNOW FOR A FACT IS THERE? And you know that it is 2 feet deep? This seems like an extremely specific request…are you looking for part of a hoard or….? I’m just curious about your situation. And yes, as Tom said…resistance of electron flow in gold is higher than silver but the use of gold plating in contacts and connections is due to gold not oxidizing. Bring us in, tell us more!

This is a broach that you KNOW FOR A FACT IS THERE? And you know that it is 2 feet deep? This seems like an extremely specific request…are you looking for part of a hoard or….? I’m just curious about your situation. And yes, as Tom said…resistance of electron flow in gold is higher than silver but the use of gold plating in contacts and connections is due to gold not oxidizing. Bring us in, tell us more!

It has to do with a 40 year old treasure hunt called "The Golden Apple Tale". The author buried a Necklace with an 1.5 inch diameter 18K Gold Apple adorned with precious gems at a specific depth of 2 feet. I have a pretty good idea where it is and would like to take a shot at it.

It has to do with a 40 year old treasure hunt called "The Golden Apple Tale". The author buried a Necklace with an 1.5 inch diameter 18K Gold Apple adorned with precious gems at a specific depth of 2 feet. I have a pretty good idea where it is and would like to take a shot at it.

That is awesome! I sure hope it’s real and you at least have a great time looking for it!

How thick or dense is the 1.5 inch target? If it's thin it's a tougher target.

If it's dense almost like a fishing weight, I would chase after it with one of my mid power pulse induction detectors: White's TDI, Eric Foster Goldquest SS or my modified Detector Pro Headhunter pulse. You would have to have some experience to set up your machine to run with a very smooth threshold. If the ground is cluttered, fuhgeddaboudit.

How thick or dense is the 1.5 inch target? If it's thin it's a tougher target.

If it's dense almost like a fishing weight, I would chase after it with one of my mid power pulse induction detectors: White's TDI, Eric Foster Goldquest SS or my modified Detector Pro Headhunter pulse. You would have to have some experience to set up your machine to run with a very smooth threshold. If the ground is cluttered, fuhgeddaboudit.

Not sure about the ground being cluttered - That will be TBD.

The Gold piece is more of a Round apple shape with spokes - so that might be more difficult to detect than a solid disc I guess.. I'm guessing at the actual size - maybe it's 2 inches in diameter? Hard to tell exactly.

There's nothing out there except this picture of it which has a horrible background:

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 248
If it is buried flat and not on edge, which it probably is flat, it would be a good target for a mid-power pulse induction detector.

I hunt saltwater beaches but I don't think anybody would intentionally bury a nice prize like that on a saltwater beach.

I’ve since read quite a bit about what you’re looking for AC. I assume you have scouted that area thoroughly and nothing really comes to mind as to where the author would’ve buried it? I believe it would have to be on public land so NOT past the gate, correct? Does the area look like it has changed or been developed at all since the early 80’s? Perhaps look for a marker, a large rock….something out of place he put over it. It wouldn’t make sense that he would make it SO hard to find that it COULDNT be found using reasoning and good clues. Even if he knew about metal detectors back then, he must’ve known that most metal detectors can’t see an object like that at that depth. You’re sure it hasn’t been found? How would you know either way? The big question…IS THE STORY REAL AND IS THERE AN ITEM TO ACTUALLY FIND?
If I was looking for it, I would have to make one important assumption…that the author knew that this could take a long time to find, and properties of various kinds could change hands over time, effectively making it IMPOSSIBLE to find if said land somehow became private. So….I would be looking in a park, in a preserve, on Natural Resources land….somewhere that never had the chance of becoming private property.
It’s an interesting and exciting thing you’ve got cooking, I wish you the best of luck in your venture!

I’ve since read quite a bit about what you’re looking for AC. I assume you have scouted that area thoroughly and nothing really comes to mind as to where the author would’ve buried it? I believe it would have to be on public land so NOT past the gate, correct? Does the area look like it has changed or been developed at all since the early 80’s? Perhaps look for a marker, a large rock….something out of place he put over it. It wouldn’t make sense that he would make it SO hard to find that it COULDNT be found using reasoning and good clues. Even if he knew about metal detectors back then, he must’ve known that most metal detectors can’t see an object like that at that depth. You’re sure it hasn’t been found? How would you know either way? The big question…IS THE STORY REAL AND IS THERE AN ITEM TO ACTUALLY FIND?
If I was looking for it, I would have to make one important assumption…that the author knew that this could take a long time to find, and properties of various kinds could change hands over time, effectively making it IMPOSSIBLE to find if said land somehow became private. So….I would be looking in a park, in a preserve, on Natural Resources land….somewhere that never had the chance of becoming private property.
It’s an interesting and exciting thing you’ve got cooking, I wish you the best of luck in your venture!

Is the story real? That is the real question.

From the pic you posted and finding gold designed that way of sorts, you won't be finding that with a detector deeper than 6 inches in the ground.

If it is buried flat and not on edge, which it probably is flat, it would be a good target for a mid-power pulse induction detector.

I hunt saltwater beaches but I don't think anybody would intentionally bury a nice prize like that on a saltwater beach.

Would a minelab 3030 suffice then? Is that considered mid-power pulse induction detector?

From the pic you posted and finding gold designed that way of sorts, you won't be finding that with a detector deeper than 6 inches in the ground.

Is there a different technology other than a metal detector that could “detect” it? I’m not saying I have tons of money here but there’s got to be something that could detect Metal that size at that depth. If there is only an expensive option, maybe I could rent a machine.

I’m open to all ideas here.

The CTX 3030 is not a pulse induction machine. It is a very good multi frequency VLF detector.

A big concern is if there is any EMI in the area. If there is a cell tower, a power substation, overhead power lines, WiFi hot spots, airport radar will all effect the performance of a metal detector trying to operate at this depth. If you think the target area is out in the country free of EMI, this could be a good thing.

If you can narrow the area down as much as possible because you would have to hunt slow and grid the area.

If you know anyone who is a gold prospector with a high end Minelab pulse machine such as a SDC 2300, GPX 4000, GPX 5000, GPX 6000, GPZ 7000 or Garrett ATX you could hire them. Their experience in finding small nuggets would help.

Is there a different technology other than a metal detector that could “detect” it? I’m not saying I have tons of money here but there’s got to be something that could detect Metal that size at that depth. If there is only an expensive option, maybe I could rent a machine.

I’m open to all ideas here.
You'd probably need to use ground penetrating radar to look for dug holes if you are close to the spot. Aluminum is your worse enemy when looking for gold. CTX, Equinox, Deus ll won't pick gold up two feet deep unless its a big block of gold coins or something. A pulse induction won't pick that up two feet deep either IMO.

How small of an area do you have it narrowed down to ? could you take off some dirt first ? does any one know if a twin box gti would hit anything that small?because if so you could buy a used gti2500 pretty cheap and then just buy a twinbox coil setup

Back
Top Bottom