Gold and Silver Jewelry Sound Characteristics.

ToddB64

Elite Member
Digger27,

In your post # 8 here > http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=106480 you show a picture of the Compadre faceplate Discrimination arc, labeled with numbers 1 through 6 to designate where you get a solid signal before it discs out on gold. You said that these dial positions are all approximate and you also listed several conditions to help us identify targets, including tiny studs, silver and gold chains.

Since there are many different metal targets that are regularly found in the 1 through 6 arc that can fool us by sounding somwhat similar to gold and silver jewelry in the various sizes and purities, can you describe the sound characteristics that trigger your instincts to pause and dig Silver or Gold ? Perhaps listing sounds for Gold and Silver separately ? This information would go hand-in-hand with your post #8 ! You've no doubt already covered all these sound characteristics in previous posts over the years, but it would be nice to have them listed altogether and a big help for all the newbies joining the Church of the Compadre ! :friends:

Tabdog was/is great and God bless him, but I believe you have an extra-special gift for describing methods of detector operation with specific details and you never seem to shy away from writing a "novel" when you feel it will help members succeed in this hobby. I second what clydesdale said "Digger, that was an awesome post. That is a great visual for us to work with THANK YOU!!"

ToddB64

Last edited:
Digger27,

In your post # 8 here > http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=106480 you show a picture of the Compadre faceplate Discrimination arc, labeled with numbers 1 through 6 to designate where you get a solid signal before it discs out on gold. You said that these dial positions are all approximate and you also listed several conditions to help us identify targets, including tiny studs, silver and gold chains.

Since there are many different metal targets that are regularly found in the 1 through 6 arc that can fool us by sounding somwhat similar to gold and silver jewelry in the various sizes and purities, can you describe the sound characteristics that trigger your instincts to pause and dig Silver or Gold ? Perhaps listing sounds for Gold and Silver separately ? This information would go hand-in-hand with your post #8 ! You've no doubt already covered all these sound characteristics in previous posts over the years, but it would be nice to have them listed altogether and a big help for all the newbies joining the Church of the Compadre ! :friends:

Tabdog was/is great and God bless him, but I believe you have an extra-special gift for describing methods of detector operation with specific details and you never seem to shy away from writing a "novel" when you feel it will help members succeed in this hobby. I second what clydesdale said "Digger, that was an awesome post. That is a great visual for us to work with THANK YOU!!"

ToddB64

comp gold.jpg

photostudio_1498905468385.jpg

Top right #2-3 rings...
3 RINGS side.jpg

compadre gold.jpg

That pic was a lot of the gold I found up to the point when I took it except for the chain which is my wife's and I borrowed and the #6 and #4 top left targets which are my wedding ring and my wife's.
After that I went on to find dozens more using the VAQ, the Compadre, my F2 and now my F70.

As far as sound characteristics of gold there is only one area of gold that I can "hear and know" I am swinging over gold using a Tesoro and that would be the ones that come in at the #6 position, zinc.
This would be where the bigger 10k or higher gold class rings come in and as I mentioned my old style wide 14k wedding band does it too.
Could be that unique sound could also be triggered by smaller but high 22-24k objects or large ones like big gold Panda coins or Krugerrands or our $20 gold coins but I don't really know as I have never run across any of those with a Tesoro, hope to one day but up to now I have only heard that distinct gold tone twice and they were men's gold 10k class rings...one with a Compadre and one with a high tone Vaq.
I have a 22k ring around here I found with a Fisher so I will have to pull it out and test it on my Compadre and Mojave and see how it sounds.
This one is not huge but came in as a beaver tail tab on my F70, a 41 and I also have a large 9 gram 14k religious medallion so I will test that too.
That distinct sound on an analog Tesoro is unique and I have tried to describe it before...sweet, sustaining, clear, deep, sharp ends, like the most perfectly cast bell you have ever heard.
Out of the thousands upon thousands of sounds I have heard over targets using my Tesoros for thousands of hours I have only heard that sound twice but once you do you will never forget it.
The first time I heard it was with my Compadre on a zinc signal.
It did sound different but I just assumed it was a shallow zincoln because I never heard that exact sound before.
It must have affected me though because a few months later I heard it again using my Vaq and on his one I knew I was swinging over big gold before I dug it...the only time I ever did in my career.
I have read some hunters say they have heard that gold sound using Tesoros on smaller targets but I don't know which models they were using and that could matter.
On my higher frequency pair and the way I hear things I can't hear it on the small stuff but the biggest ones I can.

The rest of the gold I have found and/or tested also has certain sound characteristics but this is more of a function of what I hear by manipulating the disc knob....my thumb past the fade out point then back down to listen how targets come in method but none have the unique sound like that bigger gold does to my ear.
All the gold I have found with my Tesoros has always just "come in" turning the knob back down.
No ticks, clicks, fuzziness or noise of any kind, just silence and then they were there loud and clear...so far.
All my gold has been 5" or less so deeper ones could act different but many of the gold pieces I found with those Tesoros were surrounded by trash so gold seems to stick out in even those environments if you are lucky enough to get your coil over some.
Most silver has acted the same way for me too by the way, be it coins or jewelry even around all this trash and iron I hunt in at most of my sites nowadays.
Some trash can act the same way and come in clean as do other good targets like coins so all the other gold I have found has surprised me.
I was just going after the solid targets and on a few they happened to be gold, but those are the best kind of surprises we can get in this hobby.
One thing that might be useful is on nickels and those are the iffiest coins out of all of them and that is on all my detectors.
Sometimes I have dug them on my Tesoros and they were not clean signals, sometimes weren't exactly at the nickel mark but either higher or lower and came in with at least a little bit of noise.
I usually dig those signals in that area because of that and also because my X Ray vision is still not working and have found many nickels that way but nickel area gold still comes in sold and clear or has for me every time up to this point.
Solid, clear signals that come in with absolutely no noise in the nickel area has to be one of my favorite sounds to dig because they don't come around often and on any one it could be gold.
Most times it isn't, usually some solid trash of some kind or a nickel from time to time but once in awhile it has been gold...so I dig.

I am still looking for one of those zinc area, beautiful sustaining big gold tones every time I take out a Tesoro, lately my new Mojave which I am having a blast using.
It is my holy grail sound, if I am lucky enough to hear it just one more time before I hang up this hobby I would be a happy man indeed.

Last edited:
Title: Gold and Silver Jewelry Sound Characteristics.

Hi Digger27 ! :tiphat:

WOW ! You went "All Out" with that reply ! THANKS MUCH !

Now it's my turn to go to work. I'm going to read and re-read that reply and try to make a brief pocket-size booklet summarizing all of the significant points you made. This will help to keep me focused in the field until I commit to memory what has taken you thousands of hunts to learn by empirical evidence.

Assuming you would not object to sharing with browsers and members, I also created a pocket booklet for some of your basic Compadre Operation Methods, and have attached pictures below of the (4) pages.

I used a yellow plastic duo-tang folder for the booklet covers and cut it down to an overall size of 4¾"W x 5½"L . I typed the text using Word Pad, divided the topics into separate pages and printed master copies on standard printer paper. Then, used my copier machine to replicate the pages for the actual booklet on professional 10mil matte finish photo paper, cut down to booklet size and hole-punched.

Let me know if you feel I have infringed on any of your author's rights and I will immediately ask Admins. to permanently delete this post. Send me a PM if you want this post deleted altogether, or if it needs changes or corrections, etc..

I give you all the credit for sharing with us your hard-won methods of operating the Compadre to it's full potential !

Best Regards,

ToddB64

Attachments

• Pocket Booklet of Digger27's Compadre Operation Methods 001.jpg
    Pocket Booklet of Digger27's Compadre Operation Methods 001.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 380
  • Digger27's Compadre Operation Methods #2 and #3 002.jpg
    Digger27's Compadre Operation Methods #2 and #3 002.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 362
  • Digger27's Compadre Operation Method #4 001.jpg
    Digger27's Compadre Operation Method #4 001.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 372
  • Digger27's Compadre Operation Method #5 001.jpg
    Digger27's Compadre Operation Method #5 001.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
Gold and Silver Jewelry Sound Characteristics and other Aspects.

Hi :tiphat:

Here's some additional Information gleaned from Digger27's Post #2 dated 7-1-2017 in the FMDF thread titled: Gold and Silver Jewelry Sound Characteristics and is presented for everyone's use as an additional chapter in the yellow Pocket Booklet pictured in my post #3.

This is a booklet of references for field use created primarily for the Compadre and other Tesoro detectors when hunting for Gold and Silver Jewelry.

The Index and subject paragraphs #1 to #5 can be made into separate pages for a pocket booklet. The overall size of my yellow duo-tang booklet is 4¾" wide x 5½" long (Cut down from full-size duo-tang folder.) and a little large for average shirt pockets, but fine for cargo pants pockets, small back-packs, etc....something to think about before making this handy booklet for field use.

ToddB64
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

---------------------------INDEX----------------------------------------------
Gold & Silver Characteristics: Sound, Dial Positions, Depth, Trash Foolers
and Nickels using the Compadre and other Tesoro detectors, by Digger27

#1..Sound
#2..Dial Indicator Positions
#3..Depth of targets
#4..Trash Foolers
#5..Nickels
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#1..SOUND..Sweet, Sustaining, Clear, Deep, Sharp Ends
sound, like a perfectly Cast Bell, your "Holy Grail" that
you will hear, know and never forget is either a Large
10K or higher gold Class Ring, Wide Band 14K Ring,
high 22-24K Smaller Ring or Heavy and/or Large Silver
Religious or Coin Medallion.

#2..DIAL INDICATOR POSITIONS..where sound is lost
thumbing the dial UP and then "comes in" thumbing
DOWN. Refer to attached Compadre faceplate image.
The targets mentioned in #1..SOUND will usually just
"come in" when turning the dial DOWN, with no ticks,
clicks, fuzziness or noise of any kind, just silence and
then BAM !, they are there, loud and clear, and usually
at the zinc position #6 before going silent and then
coming in again. Targets mentioned in paragraph #1
can ocassionally be found in the Nickel zone.
(Refer to paragraph #5..Nickels.)

#3..DEPTH OF TARGETS..Gold and most Silver Jewelry and
Coins surrounded by trash and iron in the ground will
usually be 5" deep, or less.

#4..TRASH FOOLERS..Some trash signals might "come in"
clean and solid like gold or silver coins and Jewelry, even
with other trash and iron around in the ground. Although
these finds will usually be trash, ocassionally you will get
a surprise !

#5..NICKELS.. Signals in the 5¢ +/- area of the arc are the
iffiest coins of all, sound or positionwise ! Normally, the
signals are not clean or exactly at the Nickel icon, i.e.
either higher or lower and "come in" with a little bit of
noise. Usually the target is trash or a nickel, but some-
times when the signal is solid and clear, & absolutely no
noise, you will get a surprise and the target is nickel area
gold ! Most times not, but always dig to find out. :ewink:

Attachments

• Compadre Discriminator Points, Digger27's Post no..jpg
    Compadre Discriminator Points, Digger27's Post no..jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom