County records searchers

Big Treble

Forum Supporter
Simple question I have for those who visit the local county archives. Other than property records what types of info are you finding there, that can't be found on line?

Been wanting to go over ther but continue to question whether it will be worth my time, with all the online resources.

I enjoy all the old maps at the archive center. Also the historical records of all the old schools and churches. I've developed many detecting leadsby pouring over all of the history available. You will also come across things you didn't expect that can point you to new detecting sites. Great winter activity! Take notes and bring a camera. Good luck

Simple question I have for those who visit the local county archives. Other than property records what types of info are you finding there, that can't be found on line?

Been wanting to go over ther but continue to question whether it will be worth my time, with all the online resources.

One thing I find useful about the county gis records ets is that sometimes they show a picture of a house or building that used to be there that is no longer. Sometimes it can help you figure out if it was a house or just a barn, saving you time wasted figuring it out the hard way...

Good points guys and thanks.

I should have indicated the online info I have right now for my area is selected Plat Maps back to the mid to late 1800's and aerial imagery back to the late 1930's

Would there be much usefulness for public places?

Good points guys and thanks.

I should have indicated the online info I have right now for my area is selected Plat Maps back to the mid to late 1800's and aerial imagery back to the late 1930's

Would there be much usefulness for public places?

If you were to overlay those maps with current maps, it would show you where things were in relation to whats there now

Old land patents and old survey notes are often helpful in revealing the history of a property and are often available for public review at a county clerks office. On mining properties that I own, I always obtain copies of the original land patent and all subsequent deeds. Also, many old records on mines and mineral claims are available through the BLM. Legally recorded liens that are on file in public records can also provide much information about the use/development/history of a property. Mineral rights and or mineral estates and their ownership can also be tracked through public records.

I have also found legal abstracts from title companies can also be very useful to a landowner so if you purchase a property, be sure to ask for (or pay for a copy) of any old abstracts they might have on file at a closing.

These are just some related thoughts as to what might be available for review/research in land records.

Many counties have their own historical societies. That would be a great place to start.

A good place to go is your public library,
finding old books about the town & county, with old photos,& comments of events, like fairs, or other shin-digs can be very helpful knowledge.
take your smart phone for pictures to compare with current earth google...

Back
Top Bottom