California instituting a mandated 4 day work week

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Well finally you guys in California will get the welfare people & druggies back to work by making them work 4 days a week. Hey it is a start.

But will be kind of hard on the retired detectorists in CA having to go back to work for 4 days each week.

(I am avoiding the political aspects of this because most of us are aware getting political is a no-no on the forum and can get the thread closed :lol:)

Now I could understand wanting people on welfare to work if they are able, but not people who are retired on Social Security, because Social Security is not a government handout but people getting money back that they paid into the system over their years working, it is their own money they are getting back.

Anyhow, I did a search for a related news story online and did not yet see anything about making people work, but here is some of what I did find from one news site:

https://www.foxla.com/news/shorter-work-week-proposed-under-new-california-bill

from the above link:

"LOS ANGELES - Could some Californians soon be saying TGIT?

That's what's being proposed under AB-2932, which would officially shorten a workweek from 40 hours to 32 hours for companies with more than 500 employees.

A full workday would remain 8 hours but would require overtime pay for employees who work longer than 32 hours or four full days a week."

(see link for full story)

They did this in Europe I don't know how many years ago to combat high unemployment rates. The idea being that with a shorter work week, there will be more work for everyone.
In Europe you have to remember they have Free Health Care and Free College, and so a plan like that works.

The problem with doing something like this in America is that most Americans are already (Barely) Living paycheck-to-paycheck, and a lot of Americans have a second Part-Time job because their "Real" job doesn't pay enough.

I'm thinking the reason behind a 32hr work week is so Employers don't have to give -->ANY<-- Benefits to their employees, NONE What-so-ever!!

This would result in most Americans having two 32hr jobs with No Benefits!
<<POST EDITED FOR POLITICAL COMMENT>>

IT'S A MADHOUSE, A MADHOUSE!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking the reason behind a 32hr work week is so Employers don't have to give -->ANY<-- Benefits to their employees, NONE What-so-ever!!

This, too, is where my thoughts immediately went. Get guv-mint to require a shortened work week, but don't change the laws concerning what "full time" is. Then industry gets to declare all the hourly workers part-time, and cut thier benefits out completely.

No insurances, no 401k's, no retirement plans. Talk about a savings. :shock:

Roger

This, too, is where my thoughts immediately went. Get guv-mint to require a shortened work week, but don't change the laws concerning what "full time" is. Then industry gets to declare all the hourly workers part-time, and cut thier benefits out completely.

Roger

FUnny enough ny states minimum wage laws has the same effect. I order to stay open and afford 15 bucks an hour for bare minimum labor, employers just cut everyones hours to under full time. No benefits, less hours, no over time. People need to let the free market prevail sometimes, cause intervening has always lead to inflation, wage compression, and many other problems.

Yeah sure ... shorten the workweek AFTER I retire ... dang it.
A day late and a dollar short even for this.

KT is certainly glad His Majesty is already retired! Imagine how small your social security benefit will be when you are classified by the feds as a not full time worker! Perhaps if they cut the hours and raised the pay to compensate, but there is no thought of that! The basic problem is there are people who have never worked getting more on the gov’mint dole than someone busting their arse holding down 2 part time jobs! Just is not right.
And that is not a political statement, just a statement of fact. KT is off the Royal Soap Box now.

Roger

Companies have already started doing this by mass hiring temp workers and migrants with no benefits. They pay their skilled labor better when they have no choice. When some got excited over the mandatory $15 an hour minimum wage, I would say just wait and see what inflation does once that happens. It can be wiped out in one fail swoop........Now look what we have. Not only did the folks getting the pay bump loose but everyone lost.

Last time my company sold All new employees were hired with no pension. Only a slightly better 401k that can be changed any time the company wants. In another 10 years there will be no more pension and who knows if they will even offer a 401k.

Things are changing folks.

When people say they want a 4 day work week, They want it with 5 days of pay. That simply isn't going to happen. It's just another way to keep people behind the 8-ball.

All I can say is if you think you have seen it all, you haven't....It's just getting started.

When some got excited over the mandatory $15 an hour minimum wage, I would say just wait and see what inflation does once that happens.

Yep, some folks don't stop and think of WHERE the money for higher wages is coming from, given a choice between cutting their profits or raising the prices of whatever they profit from, what do they think most companies might choose ?

I strongly recommend that people try to reduce how much money they need to survive each month.

Try to eliminate any credit card debt and then pay off cards each month so no interest is charged.

Try to pay off your home and/or car sooner so as to no longer have any monthly mortgage or car payments.

Shop the sales on necessities and stock up on sale items when possible.

The closer people can get to only needing to pay out each month for things you can't "pay off" like your electric bill, food, ect. the better.

Yep, some folks don't stop and think of WHERE the money for higher wages is coming from, given a choice between cutting their profits or raising the prices of whatever they profit from, what do they think most companies might choose ?

I strongly recommend that people try to reduce how much money they need to survive each month.

Try to eliminate any credit card debt and then pay off cards each month so no interest is charged.

Try to pay off your home and/or car sooner so as to no longer have any monthly mortgage or car payments.

Shop the sales on necessities and stock up on sale items when possible.

The closer people can get to only needing to pay out each month for things you can't "pay off" like your electric bill, food, ect. the better.
Been thinking about this…would it not be a good idea to load up a credit card at say, a fixed 10% APR, buying with pre-inflated dollars, when inflation is running at say, (speculation) 20+% annually? (I currently pay off my CC balance monthly).

Been thinking about this…would it not be a good idea to load up a credit card at say, a fixed 10% APR, buying with pre-inflated dollars, when inflation is running at say, (speculation) 20+% annually? (I currently pay off my CC balance monthly).

Congrats on being able to pay off your CC balance monthly ! :thumbsup:

I could be misunderstanding but if you're paying off your CC balance monthly to avoid any interest charges, then the % APR shouldn't matter, unless you ever need the card for a much larger emergency purchase that couldn't be paid off by the end of the month.

We use credit cards for grocery and other shopping as well as buying gas but completely pay off the cards before payment is due each month so no interest is charged, but we actually make some money using the cards because of the reward points we earn !

Two of our vehicles have been paid off for a good while, still paying on our 2020 car but we round up the amount we pay each month to more than the minimum due and have even made a double payment which we plan to do occasionally to get it paid off a good bit sooner then normal. (we made sure there was no penalty for paying off the loan early) Also, when we bought the 2020 car we managed to negotiate a 0% interest rate on the car loan, so we still don't pay any interest no matter what, but still want to pay it off sooner.

Last edited:
Congrats on being able to pay off your CC balance monthly ! :thumbsup:

I could be misunderstanding but if you're paying off your CC balance monthly to avoid any interest charges, then the % APR shouldn't matter, unless you ever need the card for a much larger emergency purchase that couldn't be paid off by the end of the month.

We use credit cards for grocery and other shopping as well as buying gas but completely pay off the cards before payment is due each month so no interest is charged, but we actually make some money using the cards because of the reward points we earn !

Two of our vehicles have been paid off for a good while, still paying on our 2020 car but we round up the amount we pay each month to more than the minimum due and have even made a double payment which we plan to do occasionally to get it paid off a good bit sooner then normal. (we made sure there was no penalty for paying off the loan early) Also, when we bought the car we managed to negotiate a 0% interest rate on the car loan, so we still don't pay any interest no matter what, but still want to pay it off sooner.
Nice! Well carrying a balance on a card wouldn’t apply to me personally, but say all of a sudden you need an unaffordable new roof on the house in a few years, get it done now, put in on the card at today’s cost, ride it out at a lower fixed rate for the term as in a few years the cost could double, you could save thou$ands due to inflation.

Nice! Well carrying a balance on a card wouldn’t apply to me personally, but say all of a sudden you need an unaffordable new roof on the house in a few years, get it done now, put in on the card at today’s cost, ride it out at a lower fixed rate for the term as in a few years the cost could double, you could save thou$ands due to inflation.

Okay, I understand what you mean now, try to take care of any major expenses before inflation and possible higher interest rates later would make it cost much more later, good idea !

Another thing I just remembered, we at least once (maybe twice) had gotten a credit card during one of those promotions they had where if you spent a total of $500 or more within a certain time frame they would give you $200 back on your card. We did it at a time when we did have enough extra things we had wanted to buy for the house (in addition to every month purchases) that we spent the $500 in time to get the $200 back, but with still paying off the card before the monthly payment due date so as to still avoid any interest charges, about one of the easiest $200 we ever made :lol:

My job offers a 4 day work week option. Only catch is they are 10 hour days.... :(

Which, in itself, isn't so bad. It's when you get over ten working hours that production starts to suffer, and o-t-j "accidents" start escalating.
My former, pre-retirement workplace instituted that about a decade ago. Most everybody loved it. Three-day weekend, and overtime if there was work needed on Friday to fulfill the week's goals.
It might soound like a dark cloud, but it does have it's bennies.

Roger

Back
Top Bottom