Is metal detecting worth it?

I buy a lotto ticket too and i will probably never hit the lotto but there is that small chance.The excitement of first getting a glimpse of the item i have found keeps me going...

I detect because:

1. Enjoy being outside.
2. Thrill of the "hunt"
3. Potential for monetary gain.

In my case here in LA, there are no places I can go close by to look for relics, so I am after the clad and jewelry from the beaches.

In less than a year I have paid for my detector twice with finds and all though the "value" of my time may be worth more, I would not trade my time near the ocean for anything. It is therapy of sorts for me.

Great thread!!! I bought my MXT, first day, 2 tot lots, 1=Platinum ring,1=White gold pendant with 1/4 carat diamond,almost paid for my detector 1st day, I know this is not normal,but I got very lucky...you don't need to spend alot of money on a detector, but better machines=better results...Curt:grin:

Great thread!!! I bought my MXT, first day, 2 tot lots, 1=Platinum ring,1=White gold pendant with 1/4 carat diamond,almost paid for my detector 1st day, I know this is not normal,but I got very lucky...you don't need to spend alot of money on a detector, but better machines=better results...Curt:grin:

I agree with you, especially the last part.....as I am already trying to justify an upgrade. The Delta that I have would make a good backup or guest detector. Now I just need about 100 more reasons.....lol

Metal detecting to me is one of the greatest things I've ever done. It's incredible and I don't know exactly why and frankly don't care. I've never had to ask myself if it's worth it. I just really enjoy the moment I see what it is I dug for. It's great.

Besides, we can get used detectors from all the disgruntled ones at great prices:cool: I got a CZ-5 brand new in the box for $300, a Royal Sabre in great shape for $75, etc.Who says detectors are expensive?:D

If I was detecting to get rich, I would have probably quit thirty years ago. The true treasure is having fun. The thrill of the unknown, of what your next find will be. When people start doing it for the money, they get greedy. They don't trust anyone. They are disappointed when their next find isn't a silver coin or a gold ring. It doesn't take long to lose interest when that's all you're doing it for. I don't expect to find riches, If I ever do, that will just be a bonus to the best hobby a person can have..

My top ten reasons for taking up the hobby.

1. I am an adrenalin junkie, and need the exercise. (I love the thrill of the chase)
2. It is safer than riding my Harley.
3. I am a combat veteran and it helps me deal with............
4. It is something I can do with my grandson, whom I am raising (4 year old)
5. It is alot cheaper than going to a bar. (typically won't get you arrested either)
6. I am into the scientific aspects of detecting.
7. I can get in from work and be detecting and having fun within minutes.
8. I might find something very valuable.
9. It is relatively cheap to do on a regular basis.
10. My wife is ok with it!!!!!

I didn't pick up the hobby (a hobby, for fun and not to make a living) expecting to get rich, but I am ok with it if I do.:gettinmoney:

Chief, did you retire from the military? The reason I ask is that I'm a 21 year Air Force retired E-7......thanks for serving!!!!!!!!!!!:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Dusty

does this mean im not going to get that good deal on all that barely used equipment, ??? ,,, hang in there medic chief, welcome home, not all wounds are visible, so ive recently been diagn----,,, told,,, i remember the corpsmen we had when i was in, those guys were a breed all there own, happy huntin yall,

Hey all. I'm a newbie. I was wondering what keeps you going. Alot of you out there spend $500 on equipment and you will never find $500 worth of finds. Is it the thrill that the next thing could be a 24k bar? is it the history behind coins? Is it that you are uncovering the past? I want to convince myself that it's good enough to spend a few $$ to find less than what I paid for my equipment.

I play softball. Guys pay $300 for a bat. They never make a penny.

I fish. Guys pay $7,000 for a boat. They never make a penny.

I watch TV. Guys pay $2,000 for a TV. They never make a penny.

Get it? Metal detecting is one of the few hobbies that, after you've bought a detector, puts money in your pocket rather than takes it out.

I think I'll use this topic for my next podcast.

If you answered this thread, and would like your real name mentioned on my show (if I use your note), please email me the info at [email protected].

I'm just glad most people in my area spend all their extra cash on ATVs and snowmobiles......I don't mind being the only one in town with a MD!!!!!

Dusty

Wish I could say the same... with all the new detectors for XMAS I may have to take a number at the beach... :no:

I can imagine the beach thing would be cramped......I used to go to North Padre in Texas back in the 90's and people were always walking the beach with detectors....

Dusty

I fish. Guys pay $7,000 for a boat. They never make a penny.

Get it? Metal detecting is one of the few hobbies that, after you've bought a detector, puts money in your pocket rather than takes it out.

fisherman never make a penny but fishing puts valuable food on the table :D

I think I'll use this topic for my next podcast.

If you answered this thread, and would like your real name mentioned on my show (if I use your note), please email me the info at [email protected].

i prefer a link to the podcast you'll make.

fisherman never make a penny but fishing puts valuable food on the table :D

Fishermen who spend $7,000 on bass boats generally follow catch-and-release programs - they don't eat what they catch. I've fished for over half a century and have never eaten anything I caught. (Of course, there's not a lot of meat on 8-inch smallmouth bass).

i prefer a link to the podcast you'll make.

The link is in my sig block: http://thetreasurecorner.com. Thanks for asking!

When I bought my first detector a year and a half ago my wife said that's 200 dollars you could have spent on something else. I started finding some stuff then found a 10k bracket with 60 diamonds. Sold it and paid for my next detector in my first full year I made a little over $1000 with all the change and old coins and other jewelry so it definately pays for itself over time.

Back
Top Bottom