Business cards?

bilder

Anyone ever have business cards made as a permission tool?

Thinking of getting some. They are cheap and might be a good way to come across as someone who knows what they are doing.

The card would have "The Metal Detector Guy" in large print, with "Finder of lost things" underneath.

Next would be my name, email and phone number.

What do you think? Worthwhile or a waste of 15 bucks?

card.jpg

Still on the fence

Some folk have said they use them with success and others have said they seem like a business solicitation. I'm still up in the air about getting some made

I've had some made recently and I'm starting to score more permissions. I sincerely think that they are helping. Originally I was up in the air about getting cards made but recently when I was hunting in a park and someone walked up to me asking if I had a business card because his dad was looking for someone to detect his yard. That pretty much made my mind up about getting some cards made. Heck, if you knock on a door to get permission and the landowner says "no" hand him a card and say "here's my card just in case you lose something of value or you change your mind". The way I see it is even if he or she doesn't lose anything of value, they might know someone that has or will in the future.

Last edited:
I had cards made, just simple basic ones, and on occasion give them out. Kinda a neat idea but by no means are they necessary, I'd consider them kind of a novelty really. As cheap as they are online for a small order though why not?

Scubadee has them and he does real good by using them...Beephead dont have them and he does real good too...I guess its a viable tool and introduction that makes you look a bit more professional that could gain you a site that could be THE ONE....Beephead just talks his way into about anywhere he pleases!:laughing:

I had a set of cards made, and I definitely feel that they help while requesting permission on private property, or for establishing a network of potential permissions.

When door knocking/cold-calling, I think it creates a certain level of credibility to what otherwise is a pretty odd request - we are asking someone to allow a complete stranger to dig little holes all over their lawn, after all :lol: Plus, I think it also helps to generate some trust: I have my home address on my card in addition to my other contact info - in my mind, if I know where they live, they should know where I live. Along the same vein as trust, I splurged and had double sided cards printed, using the back to list my version of "the code of ethics". It serves as a reminder that I intend to fully respect their property.

But the greater value of cards may well be for building up a network of potential permissions. How many times have you been out detecting, and someone asks, "found anything good yet?" In most cases, I'll engage that person in conversation for a little while, and they'll most likely walk away with one of my cards in hand. I want to make sure that if they really are interested in finding out what might be hiding in their yard or if they ever lose something, they remember me, and I'm the one they call :grin:

Heck, if you knock on a door to get permission and the landowner says "no" had him a card and say "here's my card just in case you lose something of value or you change your mind". The way I see it is even if he or she doesn't lose anything of value, they might know someone that has or will in the future.

+1 on this! One of the huge benefits of having a card to give out! Without a card, a "no" is (somewhat) permanent once they close the door. If they change their mind, or lose something, they have no way to contact you. But left with a card, I'm likely the first person they'll think of, and I can be readily reached.

Sure, the vast majority of my cards will end up either thrown away or in the bottom of someone's junk drawer. But if only a couple of those cards results in a new, unsolicited permission, then they easily paid for themselves!

I've had some made recently and I'm starting to score more permissions. I sincerely think that they are helping. Originally I was up in the air about getting cards made but recently when I was hunting in a park and someone walked up to me asking if I had a business card because his dad was looking for someone to detect his yard. That pretty much made my mind up about getting some cards made. Heck, if you knock on a door to get permission and the landowner says "no" had him a card and say "here's my card just in case you lose something of value or you change your mind". The way I see it is even if he or she doesn't lose anything of value, they might know someone that has or will in the future.

This seems like a good move to me and Vista Print is pretty inexpensive.

Heck, if you knock on a door to get permission and the landowner says "no" hand him a card and say "here's my card just in case you lose something of value or you change your mind". The way I see it is even if he or she doesn't lose anything of value, they might know someone that has or will in the future.

This. I printed some on my computer with my name, number, and stated I would help find lost jewelry, keys, etc., as well as I was looking for older properties to detect.

Don't cram the card full of too much text, simpler is better......remember old eyes don't see as well....ask me how I know :lol: :no:

ETA: Forgot to add, even if I get a yes, I still give them a card.

This. I printed some on my computer with my name, number, and stated I would help find lost jewelry, keys, etc., as well as I was looking for older properties to detect.

Don't cram the card full of too much text, simpler is better......remember old eyes don't see as well....ask me how I know :lol: :no:

ETA: Forgot to add, even if I get a yes, I still give them a card.

No matter if I get a yes or a no, I still hand them a card. It might get tossed in the trash before I'm off the porch, but I'll take my chances.

In order to aid in retention of the card, put a coupon on the back, saying something like, "Good for one free lost item search", or, "Good for a free 15 minute lost item search". Best to limit the free offer to protect yourself.

If you have deeper pockets, I've heard that metal tokens are seldom thrown away, and can be used in lieu of a business card.

Back
Top Bottom