County parks in New Jersey

njal

Forum Supporter
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone from N.J
Knows if it's ok to MD in our county parks?
Thanks in advance Al

Hi Al
What I do is call the county offices first, Ocean County where I live, is funny, Ive called several times and each time I got a different answer depending on who answers the phone, just stay away from state and Federal parks. Ive gotten permission for some of the county parks with the use of a permit. The permit was free but there was a designated date and time as to when I can go. and in some parks Ive actually had the police tell me the best place to hunt. There are also times when I just go and hope I don't get chased out. I always try to do the right thing but things don't always go as planned so I just dig and hope for the best

Jersey Digger, thanks for the input. So you have been asked to leave a county park?

al

Jersey,I just called union county parks commission,and was told one can't MD in the parks.

what a bummer!

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone from N.J
Knows if it's ok to MD in our county parks?
Thanks in advance Al

Njal, I live in Gloucester county. There are four county parks here. I was able to secure permission form the parks director. He sent me an email in case any rangers had a problem. He also notified all the rangers that I had permission to detect there on Saturdays and Sundays in the months of September and October. Some state parks you can hunt in as well but you must get permission and a permit before hand. Another good place to check out are the fish and wildlife areas all over the state. There is one in my town and I just need to get the guy on the phone to get a permit. Good luck...

county parks

spm,thanks for the input,however it does not sound that straight forward here in union county..
I'm going to do some more re-search and what out why .

Thanks again al and happy dirt fishing!!

Njal, please keep us updated on what you find out. I recently moved to union county and have been meaning to call to see if i could hunt in some westfield parks.

Njal, I live in Gloucester county. There are four county parks here. I was able to secure permission form the parks director. He sent me an email in case any rangers had a problem. He also notified all the rangers that I had permission to detect there on Saturdays and Sundays in the months of September and October. Some state parks you can hunt in as well but you must get permission and a permit before hand. Another good place to check out are the fish and wildlife areas all over the state. There is one in my town and I just need to get the guy on the phone to get a permit. Good luck...

I got chase out of one in Gloucester Co. last year. Didn't know you could secure permission, we were just told there was no detecting in any of the county parks.

I got chase out of one in Gloucester Co. last year. Didn't know you could secure permission, we were just told there was no detecting in any of the county parks.

Hey cntrydncr, if you need the director's info just PM me. He is a nice guy and will give permission. He just wants you to have a specific date or time period in mind. He let me do it at Scotland Run park in Clayton...

Hi Marcus , I didn't do anymore re-search other then my phone call,where I was told NO
I have just been hitting the jersey shore when I have some free time.
Westfield has an awesome park I would love to hunt..
Marcus if you find out anything please post..

al

I've hunted county parks in 4 different counties in North Jersey. Never had a problem or been asked to leave. I did have a woman complain to a county police officer, but he just came over to ask what I was finding and talk awhile. Park workers do the same thing but the older guys always have some good info about spots to try. I also hunt town and city parks, it all depends on who you ask for permission. In my town I asked the town clerk if I could detect in the parks, she said you cant dig holes so no detecting. I ran into the chief of police and he said go ahead, the head DPW guy said the same thing so I hit the parks a few times a year.

Jersey,I just called union county parks commission,and was told one can't MD in the parks.

what a bummer!

The best way to ensure you will NOT get permission to hunt in a park is to call the city or county. If there are no signs saying you can't hunt I'd say go for it. The worst that will happen is you will be told you can't detect there and you need to leave. No one is going to arrest you unless you are belligerent or are destroying the place.

That does not apply to parks run by the National Park Service or State Parks. Most people say "federal" parks are off limits, but that really isn't true. It is mainly the ones the NPS run. The National Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management (which you don't have back east) allow detecting on much of their land.

re-County parks in New Jersey

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your input.I have been sticking to the beaches in Jersey
no problem at all there.. I here what your saying about if you call it is an automatic strike out..I think I will give it a go one day soon and see what happens..
No big finds yet,just a cell phone and small silver chain and a few bucks in clad.
I'M still learning this dfx 300.

Thanks again al

The best way to ensure you will NOT get permission to hunt in a park is to call the city or county. If there are no signs saying you can't hunt I'd say go for it. The worst that will happen is you will be told you can't detect there and you need to leave. No one is going to arrest you unless you are belligerent or are destroying the place.

That does not apply to parks run by the National Park Service or State Parks. Most people say "federal" parks are off limits, but that really isn't true. It is mainly the ones the NPS run. The National Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management (which you don't have back east) allow detecting on much of their land.

I like your thinking. :cool:

Hi there new too site..

Hi there..I am from Bayville Nj near Toms River and It is hard too find good old places too detect with out being hassled.. So I decided next weekend I am going too gettysburg Pa and find some places too prospect... Deep in the woods..

I hunted a lot of areas in NJ without getting permission or a permit... like ball fields, parks, and woods. I have had cops see and me without doing anything and some of the workers who cut the grass and stuff actually told me some other place to chec out. I agree with that idea that if there's no signs, just go ahead and hunt it unless you're told otherwise. There was one case where I saw a sign at a park saying no metal detecting, so I just left.

I have gave up on dirt hunting for now.
My plugs just are not pretty!:laughing::laughing:

Old thread .:D

I'm in Ocean and have metal detected the county parks. I just go directly to the park security building with a big pleasant smile and ask if I could metal detect in the park and they said sure. If they ask, never say dig, use the phrase "cut a plug". And guarantee them they won't ever know you were there.

Back
Top Bottom