Garrett Pro pointer is a hunk of junk! I'm sick of it. (UPDATE: ordered vibra 580)

I've been looking really hard at the Vibra probe...Seems like its built much better than the Garrett or Fisher pinpointers.

I have had what I believe to be the original model since 2001 I think. Everyone I hunted with thought it was unnecessary but then would always call me over to borrow it! I would eventually just yell "No!!" whenever I heard my name called.

Anyways...it has been great. Gets a little fussy when batteries are getting low but I guess thats its way of telling you to change them! SOLID product.

ATPro

I wouldn't say the ATPro is a piece 'o junk. I just think it's terribly overrated and is a success due in large part to marketing on the "Diggers" TV show.

Notice an explosion of users after that show got popular? Nothing wrong with that mind you = it's the American way - market, market, market!

Bottom heavy, buttons feel smooshy, no backlight, tiny display (no help for my aging eyes), no all metal mode.

There are machines that offer more technical bang for buck. Being waterproof is a huge plus in favor of the ATPro if you intend on swimming with it but for the most part, a land machine is fine.

Flame away oh ATPro users!

A 4 year old thread resurrected :laughing: Does Bonesquat even post here anymore???? Calling the ghost of Bonesquat, Bonesquat, where are you??? We miss your finds and videos!

Its just great that there are so many more reliable options these days -:cool:

Four years ago the Garrett Probe had no real competition. There are quite a few good ones out there now. Old threads die hard.

Mine has never failed me

Mine did at a very bad time. I moved to the SunRay after the bad switch issue, and never looked back. As a mini-coil, it shows nail here, coin there. No brainer in my book, unless you like more digging time, or don't have a MD that supports it. Hopefully, the new hand-helds are of better quality these days.

Anyone got the vibraprobe currently? I'm thinking of ordering one soonish.
Need a strong vibrating one Coz of headphones, hood, etc.

My Propointer lasted under two years, so did my buddy's.

These things should not cost much more than the cheap Harbor Freight unit for $18, which I also own, and it's junk also.

I too have had two Garrett pin pointers - one each black and orange. Both developed problems of the switch failing to turn the unit ON/OFF, the vibrate function intermittently not working, etc. with eventual complete failure.

The carrot recently developed a leak in the switch seal. The first clue of what was wrong was that dirt got into the battery compartment. Then washing the unit under a garden hose allowed water into the unit and caused the battery to swell. After that it would not work at all. You can detect this issue by blowing into the open battery compartment end. If air escapes around the switch, the seal is gone.

However, in defense of Garrett, both units were quickly repaired/replaced. That's not the best solution to the problem - but it helps a lot.

HH

Back
Top Bottom