• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Great yard! Silver Dollar, 20 cent piece, more silver too!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Well, got permission at a ca 1930 home here in town, and turned out to have a great couple of hours detecting with the AT Pro!

First coin was a wheat penny, and other than a couple of Memorials and a clad dime and quarter, all the targets today were old. First precious was a Silver Rosie followed by a clipped Silver GW quarter. I am calling that coin my first US 20 cent piece as about 1/5 of the coin is gone, knocking the value down to 20 cents!

Another section of the front yard produced a large but kinda shaky signal that still had some good high tones. I dug a generous plug, and was delighted and surprised to pull out a 1922 Silver Dollar! This coin is the second Silver Dollar I've dug, last year I found a 1925-S Peace Dollar in a local curb strip. So, I guess I've renewed my membership this year!

Wondering why the signal was odd (for a silver dollar), I rechecked the hole with my pinpointer, and found a 1940 Jefferson Nickel. I replaced the dirt from my towel and watered the grass roots from my gallon jug of water. As it turned out, I should have rechecked again, as swinging the coil over that area produced a nice faint high tone, and out came a 1936 Silver Merc.

Other finds in the yard were another Silver Merc and Silver Rosie, along with a Silver charm bracelet with some precious and non precious charms. The one legged figurine or soldier was a cool find too. The ratio today of shiny to copper was great, with 7 silvers and 3 wheaties. Usually that ratio is very skewed the other way! Anyway, a fun couple of hours and am grateful for some good finds!

Attachments

• silvers1.jpg
    silvers1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 730
  • silvers2.jpg
    silvers2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 686
Last edited:
Great photos and great hunt! I love that dollar design. Awesome!

Oldest coin dug- 1927 wheatie.

Wow, congratulations!!
Nice photos too- America used to have some beautiful coins:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, appreciate the comments! Yep... was sure surprised to pull that Silver Dollar out today, plus the other goodies!

What a great silver day. Think the peace dollar is one of the nicest and I want to find my own badly. Congrats to you sir.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Thank you ecmo, and stiffwrists... yeah, I figure that that clipped quarter is probably the closest I'll come to a real US 20 cent piece out here in Montana!

Wow! Great stuff there. I have done a couple of older yards this week but I haven't found the silver yet. I did best my oldest coin by two more years - 1936 Wheat -. I know the silver is there, maybe I need a more modern detector., Yeah..... that's it... I need a new detector!!:grin::grin:

Congrats on a good hunt with really nice finds. I'd hunt that site again with all the silver finds. Grid it and take your time. Maybe more goodies ??

Thanks for the comments!

MTtrashdigger - congrats on your oldest wheatie, and keep checking those private yards they are the last untouched areas to metal detect with a good chance of finding nice stuff.

bubbaron - good advice, and I did just that. After finding the first two silvers then the dollar, I really searched carefully and from different directions.

Love the backdrop you got all those coins displayed upon.....you should probably go throw a few of them back to reseed the place...! :laughing:

Congratulations on a massive Silver Streak you got going LTS!

Those are some great finds! The dollar coin produced on the shaky signal reinforces digging every good signal and always rechecking the hole. Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom