• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Sonoma County California

nova3351

I am hoping to find someone around the Sonoma, Marin, Napa or Mendocino County that would like to hook up for a hunt in May. My family and I are coming down around May 1st and staying until around May 10th in Santa Rosa, Ca. I grew up here but have been away for 18 years so I was hoping I could hook up with someone for a fun hunt day. Thanks

Hey nova I'm sure there are some Sonoma county hunters that will be chiming In soon they seem like a good bunch of guys , good luck and happy hunting.

Thanks Roob, looking forward to a good time. I have permission to an old winery while down there too so maybe someone will pique their interests.

I am in the East Bay and wouldnt mind meeting up to hunt when you come down here.

Hey Nova. I'm in Petaluma and been lookin for somefolks to go with. I havent got any good leads for the best places but I'd be willing to meet up while your down here on your trip. Just found another guy on another forum who may be down for a hunt too. Let me know and lets make it happen!

Cheers,
Zach

Napa Area

I'm out in the Napa area so pretty close. Have a few spots that I've been researching and would certainly enjoy the company. I think I've already burned the kids out on the hobby with how long I stay out :)

Stephen

Awesome, I'll try and send you guys a message later this week as I'm at work right now. My step dad is an operations manager of a winery in Healdsburg that was built in the 1800's and gave permission to search the area.

Newb

Hello,
I live in Sonoma and am brand new, so I have some catching up to do. Looking for ways to figure out where in Sonoma County is okay for treasure hunting....Leah

I am hoping to find someone around the Sonoma, Marin, Napa or Mendocino County that would like to hook up for a hunt in May. My family and I are coming down around May 1st and staying until around May 10th in Santa Rosa, Ca. I grew up here but have been away for 18 years so I was hoping I could hook up with someone for a fun hunt day. Thanks

I live in vallejo

But i like to know where can i go in sonoma to do hunting with my metal detector please any recomendations?

I live in vallejo

But i like to know where can i go in sonoma to do hunting with my metal detector please any recomendations?

Leo707, welcome aboard.

As for your question : What is your objectives of type stuff to chase ? Eg.: jewelry ? Old coins ? relics ? nuggets ? Etc....

If it's jewelry, then any swimming beach (fresh or salt water) are your best odds .

If it's nuggets, then Sonoma is in the wrong part of CA for that.

If it's "old coins" (new coins are boring after all, eh ? :laughing: ) or relicky type persuits, then you're going to be in a bit of a pickle asking that question. It would be like asking a trout fisherman: "Where's your trophy trout holes on the creek ?" They might clam up. Unfortunately, old coins are not a renewing resource, as is jewelry on the beach (or never ending like nuggets or whatever).

There is a monthly club meeting in Santa Rosa. If you attended there, and paid close attention to who's bringing in oldies to show & tell, you *might* be able to befriend them, buddy up, etc.... I say "might", because even then/there, some are tight-lipped if they've got a good site. Eg.: defunct resort spots, stage stops, old camp grounds, etc....

You just have to research.

I will say this: Your part of CA has a LONG history of m'ding. Hunters plying those parks since the 1960s even. I've tried a few old parks in your area (Napa, for instance), and you have to be very skilled to pull any more silver out of them. If all else fails, you can knock on doors and do the yards of old homes. Or watch for old town urban demolition tearouts (old town sidewalk tearouts, or building teardowns, for instance. And get in there before they dig too deep, and/or before fill-dirt is added.

Leo707, welcome aboard.

As for your question : What is your objectives of type stuff to chase ? Eg.: jewelry ? Old coins ? relics ? nuggets ? Etc....

If it's jewelry, then any swimming beach (fresh or salt water) are your best odds .

If it's nuggets, then Sonoma is in the wrong part of CA for that.

If it's "old coins" (new coins are boring after all, eh ? :laughing: ) or relicky type persuits, then you're going to be in a bit of a pickle asking that question. It would be like asking a trout fisherman: "Where's your trophy trout holes on the creek ?" They might clam up. Unfortunately, old coins are not a renewing resource, as is jewelry on the beach (or never ending like nuggets or whatever).

There is a monthly club meeting in Santa Rosa. If you attended there, and paid close attention to who's bringing in oldies to show & tell, you *might* be able to befriend them, buddy up, etc.... I say "might", because even then/there, some are tight-lipped if they've got a good site. Eg.: defunct resort spots, stage stops, old camp grounds, etc....

You just have to research.

I will say this: Your part of CA has a LONG history of m'ding. Hunters plying those parks since the 1960s even. I've tried a few old parks in your area (Napa, for instance), and you have to be very skilled to pull any more silver out of them. If all else fails, you can knock on doors and do the yards of old homes. Or watch for old town urban demolition tearouts (old town sidewalk tearouts, or building teardowns, for instance. And get in there before they dig too deep, and/or before fill-dirt is added.

I like to find old coins

But i don t konw if you know the sonoma raceway there is a big parking lot

Icanni go there or is iliigal

I like to find old coins

But i don t konw if you know the sonoma raceway there is a big parking lot .....

Uhhh, why would you detect a "Parking lot" ? I'm looking at it now, on google satellite and street view. That's paved. Not even gravel (or extremely hard-packed, if so). And it only dates to the mid to late 1960s (not old). So I don't understand why you'd have that in mind for "old coins".

... never really found an old coin.:shrug:

And .... alas .... such is the story for ANYONE picking up a machine in current times, for hard-hit areas. They rush to the same obvious parks. And read the SAME history books that we did 20 or 30+ yrs. ago. Rushing out to the SAME "country picnic sites" and "stage stops", etc.... that we did 20 or 30 yrs. ago.

When I think back, at some of the places that were our "stomping grounds" (nice old silver), I wouldn't touch some of those places now, with a 10 ft. pole. You'd have to be one-sly-feller to pull any additional out. And pity-the-poor newbie who shows up now :(

However, there's geographic zones which didn't get the research, or that the sites (stage stops, picnic sites, etc...) were not "obvious historic colorful spots". The more obscure it was/is (while at the same time, experiencing heavy use), then more likely it is that I'll get off my duff to investigate. But any spot that's "no secret to the history books", I tend to be on my guard about. However, as I say, it's a geographic thing. Oddly, if I travel a mere 100 miles, I find spots that it defies logic, that no one ever pursued before.

Hey all, I'm new to the site and just saw this thread. I'm from Marin and while I go to college out of state I headed back for the holidays and a bit after and would love to meet up with someone.

Hey there, I'm here in Forestville as well.
I would be down to hunt anytime.

Back
Top Bottom