Tesoro Silver Sabre II

RRW

I just ordered a new MD and told my 9 year old that he could use my old one when I get it. The old one (silver sabre) has been leaning in the corner of the garage for about 9 years. I bought it about 18 years ago and never spent enough time to learn how to use it. The MD I just ordered (Ace 250) will be my 2nd, but since 18 years of collecting dust doesn't count as experience, I consider myself a newbie. Anyway I took the old batteries out (yes they were in about 8 years),and put in new. They hadn't really leaked much, but now there is just a loud constant tone when I turn it on. I was really hoping to let my son play with this one so we could detect together. Anyone have any ideas for a possible fix? One thing I thought of as I was typing is, I do a lot of woodworking and it may be full of sawdust. Will these things hold up to being blown out with a compressor? Thanks in advance for any help.

I just ordered a new MD and told my 9 year old that he could use my old one when I get it. The old one (silver sabre) has been leaning in the corner of the garage for about 9 years. I bought it about 18 years ago and never spent enough time to learn how to use it. The MD I just ordered (Ace 250) will be my 2nd, but since 18 years of collecting dust doesn't count as experience, I consider myself a newbie. Anyway I took the old batteries out (yes they were in about 8 years),and put in new. They hadn't really leaked much, but now there is just a loud constant tone when I turn it on. I was really hoping to let my son play with this one so we could detect together. Anyone have any ideas for a possible fix? One thing I thought of as I was typing is, I do a lot of woodworking and it may be full of sawdust. Will these things hold up to being blown out with a compressor? Thanks in advance for any help.
Give Tesoro a call ..

Tesoros are guaranteed for the life of the original owner. You could send it back to tesoro and they'd fix it for free, if it wasn't abused, etc. Or battery leakage. I wouldn't blast it with high pressure air........ maybe "canned air" for cleaning electronics.

Are you sure there's something wrong with it? You could try taking it outside, point the coil in the air, turn the discriminate up to around nickle, sens halfway, see if it still buzzes........ could be lots of interference in the house.......

A lesson learned the hard way, DO NOT LEAVE BATTERIES IN DETECTOR FOR EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. More than likely Tesoro will fix it for you, depending how bad the batteries leaked - you might just need to clean the contacts in the battery compartment. If it leaked into the electronics the acid could of ate away some of the components.

See what Tesoro can do for you. It might help to mention that you are a member of detecting online forums where you have read how good their customer service is. They may be inclined to do more if they dont want a disgruntled customer telling about how they didnt help him when he had a problem with his machine. :lol: Just a suggestion , not sure if it would do any good or not.

Silver Sabre problem

RRW, We must be the only 2 people in the world that with the original Silver Sabre, its a great machine and I still use mine off an on, great silver finder, Freq. is right on line for Silver. OK mine was doing the same thing, turn it on it would stay in the battery test audio sound and never stop, tried new batt's, cleaning terminals, blowing it out, nothing worked . Sent it back to TESORO they fixed like new and no charge. There life time warranty is unreal ,no questions asked. They told me they haven't had one of those to fix in years. I have mine for at least 20 years or longer. If you need the manual I have it in a PDF file format. Send it back you won't be sorry.

See what Tesoro can do for you. It might help to mention that you are a member of detecting online forums where you have read how good their customer service is. They may be inclined to do more if they dont want a disgruntled customer telling about how they didnt help him when he had a problem with his machine. :lol: Just a suggestion , not sure if it would do any good or not.
I am beting that if you tell them the truth about what happened (they will know anyways once they get the detector) they will tell you to send it in, their service is so good they don't need to be bribed.

Oh boy! The number one thing to avoid and you done it.

Send it into Tesoro via the address on their official website.

Usually battery acid on the board means a new board. I hope you're the 1st owner. If so you might just pull it off for totally free work.

Anyway, battery acid is a detector killer.

This is considered to be owner negligence but as gracious as Tesoro is they will do their best for you I'm sure.

Maybe the acid just hit a smaller area that can be repaired? Lets hope so.

Badger

Thanks for the tips. One battery leaked a little but all was contained in the holder. I was able to clean that contact with some sand paper, but it did'nt help. Also rewound the cable snugly to the shaft, since it was hanging loose after shortining it for my son. I did buy it new but no longer have the receipt, I may still contact Tesoro though. All I'm looking for is something that "beeps" so I can take my son along when I get my new one. A coworker told me she lost a ring while camping, bought a MD at Big5 (Bounty Hunter?),returned to the site, but never found it. I may be able to get that one cheap since she says she no longer needs it.

Well I spent a little more time cleaning up the battery holder and it works like new. When I bought this I had no one to help me learn and gave up on it. But we took it out today and I'm figuring it out by using along side the Ace since it's all automatic. Also My title was a mistake it's a Silver Sabre Plus.

Glad to hear the SSII battery issue worked out.

Tesoro machines are in a class all their own. Once you own one you never really ever get over them. They're so easy to use and they get the depth on the finds that count.

Take that SSII to a site and really clean that area out and then return with the E-Trac or MXT or most anything else and more than likely you won't find anything more worth digging.

If you ever want to move up to the ultimate detector ever made, get the Tesoro Tejon or Minelab Sovereign GT.

Best,

Badger

RRW, We must be the only 2 people in the world that with the original Silver Sabre, its a great machine and I still use mine off an on, great silver finder, Freq. is right on line for Silver. QUOTE]
I still have and use my original Silver Sabre. I recently dug up a penny at eight inches. i think it will go as deep or deeper as my Ace 250 and it's a lot easier to pinpoint.

hadn't really leaked much, but now there is just a loud constant tone when I turn it on. I was really hoping to let my son play with this one so we could detect together. Anyone have any ideas for a possible fix? One thing I thought of as I was typing is, I do a lot of woodworking and it may be full of sawdust. Will these things hold up to being blown out with a compressor? Thanks in advance for any help.

The Silver Sabre II is STILL my favorite fun easy to use detector of all time, hands down, plus it takes a TON of abuse and keeps on ticking. Just got mine back after it spent 5+ years in someone's garage getting coated with woodwork dust too. Cleaned it up and it still works like new. The only thing wood dust might affect is the speaker since everything else is **** tight.

The other thing to remember is to check the setting of the little white nubbin dial in the back of the brain box. People who don't know what they're doing like to fiddle with dials. It should be set to a barely-perceptible hum.

RRW, We must be the only 2 people in the world that with the original Silver Sabre, its a great machine and I still use mine off an on, great silver finder, Freq. is right on line for Silver. QUOTE]
I still have and use my original Silver Sabre. I recently dug up a penny at eight inches. i think it will go as deep or deeper as my Ace 250 and it's a lot easier to pinpoint.

This is absolutely true! The Sabre is an AWESOME silver finder, and actually works really great finding gold on the beach if'n you don't mind digging lots of pop tops and old pulls tabs. Plus the depth it gets -- especially on the sand and wading in the water -- is monstrously underrated, especially for an entry-level detector. It gets a little hinky if you're detecting over lots of slag or highly-mineralized ground, but even there it's pretty manageable if you dial up the discrimination, dial down the sensitivity, and be happy cherrypicking the shallower higher-range stuff.

Tesoso totally knew what it was doing with the Silver Sabres 10-15 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom