Pawn Shop Picks: Minelab Explorer XS and White's DFX

nittany1

Elite Member
minelabexplorerxs014.jpg

Minelab Explorer XS and White's DFX
I'm a big fan of the tv shows American Pickers and Pawn Stars. So today I sort of combined those two interests along with my interest in metal detecting and I went picking for metal detectors. After some haggling I purchased a Minelab Explorer XS for $450 and a White's DFX for $179! I may have paid a little too much for the Explorer XS but I got a really good deal on the DFX. It took about 3 hrs of driving around to see what people had in stock, I went to about 8 pawn shops and found these at two different shops.

minelabexplorerxs013.jpg

Minelab Explorer XS
The Minelab Explorer XS is basically in mint condition. Whomever owned it before barely ever used it. After a little bit of window cleaner and some elbow grease all the dirt and smudges cleaned up real nice and it's basically in mint condition. The package included two battery packs: 1) the Ni-MH rechargeable and 2) the AA alkaline holder, one 12v car charger for the Ni-MH in poor condition, the rubber phone cord is deteriorating, but I can get those online, also included is a nice plastic scoop and a White's Bullseye II pinpointer, which I already have, but a second one is good too.

minelabexplorerxs015.jpg

minelabexplorerxs019.jpg

For those unfamiliar with it, the Explorer XS uses 28 frequencies ranging from 1 kHz to 70 kHz. They call it Full Band Spectrum (FBS). The reason I wanted this machine is so I can compare to my White's machines. Minelab are made in Australia and to behold a Minelab, it's pretty solid. It's built really sturdy. I know it's not as fancy as the well renowned as the E-Trac, but neither I did I pay the price of an E-Trac. Time will tell how well I like this machine.

sdfx008.jpg

White's DFX
The White's DFX is more of a known quantity to me. I'm a huge White's fan, I own three White's machines already: VX3, M6 and GMT. The DFX I purchased for a good friend of mine I've known since 1993 who is a member of our forum too. He will remain anonymous unless he wants to be known. The DFX is one of the first Spectrum models, it uses two frequencies: 3 kHz and 15 kHz. It's well regarded and very solidly built, it will last many years. You can use it right off the bat with the factory included programs, but it's also very programmable. There are many settings and adjustments to get the most out of it. It's basically the same as the current DFX300, but it doesn't include the 12" coil (where the 300 part of the DFX300 came from, 300mm is 12").

sdfx009.jpg

sdfx011.jpg

White's Eclipse 5.3
The DFX came with the Eclipse 5.3 coil, it's well regarded. I'm tempted to keep the coil myself since it's an Eclipse but I already have the 4x6DD. To those who don't know, the Eclipse is useable by all the higher end White's VLF detectors: M6, MXT, MXT Pro, DFX, DFX300, VX3, V3i.

The Eclipse 5.3 will serve my friend well in parks in trashy areas and in the gold fields of the midwest, his two areas of interest.

Summary
If you can't afford a brand new detector but you want something more high end, check our Classified section, or you can do what I did today, go pawn shop picking. You never know what you may find. :p

I hope you enjoyed reading about my finds as much as I liked getting a deal on them. Anything you can add about the Explorer XS will be helpful, as I'm brand new to Minelab.

Neither of these machines are for sale. One is for me, another is for a good friend.

That's probably in range, maybe a touch high for an XS, but you absolutely stole that DFX! Assuming it works 100% you should frequent that pawn shop more often.

I've been an explorer user basically since they came out and I'd make a very large wager a good XS in my hands will hear anything anyone with an E-trac will... in fact, I'd bet there's some I might hear that they don't, unless they have a lot of experience hunting the types of sites I do. So don't think for a second just because that explorer is 10 years old it can't do the job, because I guarantee it can. If I was you I'd flip that DFX and call it a free Minelab on the day, and some great pickin'!

I too am a fan of the shows, have even done some deals with one of the experts that appears on Pawn Stars once in a while... and there's not much I love more in flipping picks than when you can buy a group of something, sell some to cover your cost, and the rest are free. The DFX from what I read over the years needs quite a bit tweaking to perform well, where the XS is a beast just with some basic settings. Regardless of what you decide it was a pretty good day.

The one local pawn shop did have an AT Pro when last week. Only $200. Wish I would have picked it up. Instead I spent my money on an ungrateful ex girlfriend and the detector was sold in a few short days before I had a chance to go back. Congrats n the nice pick up.

The one local pawn shop did have an AT Pro when last week. Only $200. Wish I would have picked it up. Instead I spent my money on an ungrateful ex girlfriend and the detector was sold in a few short days before I had a chance to go back. Congrats n the nice pick up.

You should have asked if they had a lay away plan. Then you could have wasted your money on the ungrateful ex and still bought the detector.

I'd say you did great!!!! I like both those shows but in Jersey pawn shops are few and far between. Something about the loaning money part of the biz. Now, cash for gold? Those we are over run with!!!!

Congrats on some great finds!!! Use them well!!!!

I love both them shows and congrats on both those finds. They both look to be in excellent shape. I have a pawn shop I have bought and sold alot of stuff at and they always give me a fair deal. I have an F2 now but I'm sure I'll be looking at getting a higher end detector when the time comes and I'll be looking in pawn shops as well so thanks for sharing your experience. Good luck with your new Minelab.

I wish I could find detectors of that quality at the pawn shops here. That DFX was a steal. I paid $400 for mine and thought I got a good deal.

Awesome deal. I wish I could find deals like that , but strangely there are not many pawn shops in my area , the few that are seem to never have anything but a consistent supply of old junk and worn out tools.

You did good! My local pawn shop had a used Tesoro Compadre with a ticket of $170.

I know they have great resale value but...:shock:

Back
Top Bottom