1st Hunt of 2014 Yields Rare Merc!

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
First hunt of 2014 and BAM! I get a beautiful 1939D Mercury that is in Fine shape and comes out of the sand nice and shiny!! :wow2: What a great start to the year!!

It was a dreary off and on drizzly day - perfect conditions for me so I took off to the beach for my 1st hunt of the year. Hunted the wet and dry sand for 3 hours. Scored the Merc, a 1950D Wheatie, a Chuckie and a decent $5.43 of total. Looking forward to the rest of 2014...:yes:

(DISCLAIMER: No, the 1939D is not a “key date” so it’s technically not rare. What does make it rare is that this is only my 3rd Mercury dime since I started this hobby in 2006. Plus, as any hunter down here will tell you, any silver coinage on a SouthFla beach is rare).

Attachments

• 1-4-14.jpg
    1-4-14.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 852
  • 1-4-14 Merc Front.jpg
    1-4-14 Merc Front.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 770
  • 1-4-14 Merc Back.jpg
    1-4-14 Merc Back.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 768
Last edited:
That merc is certainly out of place. Makes you wonder how it got there. Beautiful condition for a beach find. I have found a few silver coins in north Florida but you are right about that. Very few silver coins are found and especially south Fl. The population did not boom until AC was invented. I was born in Miami in 56 before it was all built up. Before then people visited in the winter and moved north in the summer. Like the Canadian snow birds do today. Congrats!

The odd thing about that Merc is the condition for a beach find. I've found three Mercs since 2011 and they are all toast! Even Mercs in my parents collection are worn. That one is a beaut! Congrats!

Sorry, but "Chuckie" does not count as silver, old, or rare! :laughing:

The odd thing about that Merc is the condition for a beach find. I've found three Mercs since 2011 and they are all toast! Even Mercs in my parents collection are worn. That one is a beaut! Congrats!

I believe it was brought in from another sand filled part away from the beach, and the salt, to where I found it near the high water line. (This beach uses a lot of heavy machinery to move sand around). My second Merc was a "toast one" that I discovered after tumbling my finds. I suspect it came from the same beach.

Good job on the silver Felix... that merc was probably in the dry stuff or a kid needed one of his dads to pay for something at the beach ;)

Craig, methinks it was sitting in dry stuff for years until they decided to move some sand to just around the high water line which is where I found it.

Nice dime, great shape, but why do you say its rare? It has a mintage of 24 million

Back
Top Bottom