Who else likes the Blues?

Me too. Besides Eddie Van Halen. I'm 47 yo. I've been playing guitar since I was 10yo. I heard VH "Ain't Talkin Bout Love", and it was ON! 1979!

I like both blues piano and blues guitar.

I need to take time to do a lot more practice but I've been trying to teach myself some blues piano. I found there are instruction videos on youtube that can help.

One of the most talented blues piano players was Oscar Peterson, I found a youtube clip where he was interviewed by Dick Cavett.

and here is a clip I found of the really talented blues guitarist - Jimmie Vaughan

I like both blues piano and blues guitar.

I need to take time to do a lot more practice but I've been trying to teach myself some blues piano. I found there are instruction videos on youtube that can help.

One of the most talented blues piano players was Oscar Peterson, I found a youtube clip where he was interviewed by Dick Cavett.

and here is a clip I found of the really talented blues guitarist - Jimmie Vaughan

I'm sure you know Jimmie Vaughn is the older brother of Stevie Ray Vaughn (SRV). There's a whole bunch of really good blues guitarists out there. Just to put things in perspective of that comment. Type in "pink floyd long blues" on youtube and listen to what David Gilmour can do.

Mid 70's at a tiny bar in East Lansing Mi. when I went to MSU Muddy Waters came to town.
Played 2 shows that night and I stayed for both.
Sat at a table about 15 feet away from the stage with a bunch of friends and drank I don't know how many pitchers of beer that night.

One of the greatest concerts I ever saw.

Also caught many other blues bands during that era...
Rory Gallagher
Bonnie Raitt
Savoy Brown
Climax Blues Band
Edgar Winter
Plus a few others.

The 70's for me was much fun...I think.
Wish I could remember more of it.

Mid 70's at a tiny bar in East Lansing Mi. when I went to MSU Muddy Waters came to town.
Played 2 shows that night and I stayed for both.
Sat at a table about 15 feet away from the stage with a bunch of friends and drank I don't know how many pitchers of beer that night.

One of the greatest concerts I ever saw.

Also caught many other blues bands during that era...
Rory Gallagher
Bonnie Raitt
Savoy Brown
Climax Blues Band
Edgar Winter
Plus a few others.

The 70's for me was much fun...I think.Wish I could remember more of it.

Wow, who wouldn't want to see Muddy Waters? You're lucky you got the chance. Who was playing guitar for him then? He had a guitarist that played for him for quite some time named Bob Margolin. I happened to see him at a very small venue in NC back in '04. If you've ever seen the movie "The Last Waltz" when they show Muddy's performance Bob Margolin was on guitar and is shown in the film.

I'm sure you know Jimmie Vaughn is the older brother of Stevie Ray Vaughn (SRV). There's a whole bunch of really good blues guitarists out there. Just to put things in perspective of that comment. Type in "pink floyd long blues" on youtube and listen to what David Gilmour can do.

Yep, I have heard before that Jimmie is the older brother of SRV, it just happened that I heard Jimmie Vaughn's music before I knew he even had a brother.

There are indeed a lot talented blues guitarists out there !

Allman Bros.
John Lee Hooker
Lightnin' Watkins
Muddy Waters
Buddy Guy
Zeppelin's "Tea For One" is a cool blues jam.
Mark Knopfler
Slow Hand
SRV
BB King

Last edited:
Norwegian Black Metal has its roots in Mississippi Delta Blues. I am currently listening to Emperor. Does that count as a grandchild of the blues?

Huge John Mayall fan Britsh Blues Master. Got to see him in concert only once and I was one of my best ever! Amazingly John is still out there touring doing play dates world wide and why not he's only 74 years young!

Allman Bros.
John Lee Hooker
Lightnin' Watkins
Muddy Waters
Buddy Guy
Zeppelin's "Tea For One" is a cool blues jam.
Mark Knopfler
Slow Hand
SRV
BB King

Buddy Guy is a living legend. He's played with just about anyone you can think of. I bought his album "Damn right I got the blues" back in the 90's and was hooked!

Huge John Mayall fan Britsh Blues Master. Got to see him in concert only once and I was one of my best ever! Amazingly John is still out there touring doing play dates world wide and why not he's only 74 years young!

Thank you for this, I'm always trying to expand my Blues Collection. He is fantastic, I have a road trip home tomorrow, I'll be jamming this.
https://youtu.be/1-fD9fD61kA

Some more blues artists I enjoy, in addition to many already mentioned
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Jonny Lang
Canned Heat
Alvin Youngblood Hart
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac
Kings of Leon
Corey Stevens (sounds a lot like the immortal SRV)
and anything by Bonnie Raitt.(I know Digger already mentioned her but I love Bonnie. If you are a BR fan do yourself a favor and look for her first album released in 1971 titled Bonnie Raitt. It is blues with a great group of musicians, some unknown, some well known, such as Junior Wells).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom