Help!

goldpaninut

I went detecting today up along the river and found this coin. When I got home I tried looking it up on the Internet but couldn't find one like it anywhere It is identical on both sides and has a smooth edge with no reeding or words. The only coin I can find like it is the reverse side of the Sacajawea Dollar, but this one is the same on both sides. Anyone ever saw one like this or know what it is? I see in 2002 the mint messed up & accidentally struck a couple thousand of these. The book says these were not for “general population”. Who knows, maybe this is one of them!

Attachments

• IMG_7226.jpg
    IMG_7226.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 737
  • IMG_7225.jpg
    IMG_7225.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_7227.jpg
    IMG_7227.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 747
Last edited:
Perhaps a magician's or huckster's coin. Where they make a double sided coin. I found a wheatie once, where each side was a "tails". And when looking at the seam, you could plainly see where some huckster had grinded/sanded off half a coin, and connected two "tails" to each other.

But in your case, there is seemingly no connection/seam. That could be attributed to modern day jewelry methods of leaving no trace of soldering/connections. There is modern day computerized metallurgy solder methods that are ssssoooo accurate, you can practically remove or add a mint mark, for example, that is undetected to the naked eye.

Machinist on air force base in my town make similar coins all the time for practice and goof off. they mill out the coin inside leaving a outside ring and one side. then they mill down another the right thickness and remove the outside and then press them together. the tolerances are very tight and you need a loop to see the seam on a good one. these guys are excellent machinists for airplane parts which have very close tolerances. they also have nice equipment.

Put it in a cup and shake it.... It may come apart. My 50 cent piece does, and has a different coin inside.
Cool find.

Perhaps a magician's or huckster's coin.

"Huckster" ? Where did you learn that word? Do you still get your pots patched and knives sharpened by a traveling Tinker? Do you enlist a Farrier to get your mules shod, Do you take your Birkenstocks to a Cobbler for a retread? I suspect you have a Cooper make you a wooden bucket? Does a Paper Boy deliver the daily at your house? Does your milk come in glass bottles on your porch? Are there Tramps hanging around in the alley? Do you have Witch Hazel based potions, unguents and ointments in your medicine cabinet? Is your nightsoil harvested by a guy with a wagon? Coal delivered?

Huckster! You gotta be 120yrs old!:laughing::laughing:

Last edited:
"Huckster" ? Where did you learn that word? Do you still get your pots patched and knives sharpened by a traveling Tinker? Do you enlist a Farrier to get your mules shod, Do you take your Birkenstocks to a Cobbler for a retread? I suspect you have a Cooper make you a wooden bucket? Does a Paper Boy deliver the daily at your house? Does your milk come in glass bottles on your porch? Are there Tramps hanging around in the alley? Do you have Witch Hazel based unguents and ointments in your medicine cabinet? Is your nightsoil harvested by a guy with a wagon? Coal delivered?

Mud-puppy strikes again !:laughing:

Cool find goldpanin nut ! I found one of those in a quarter denomination many years back . If you looked real close though , you could see one side was from a 1970 quarter the other a 1979 .

Not saying California Tom is old but I have it on good authority that he was a Busboy at the last supper !:yes:

"Huckster" ? Where did you learn that word? Do you still get your pots patched and knives sharpened by a traveling Tinker? Do you enlist a Farrier to get your mules shod, Do you take your Birkenstocks to a Cobbler for a retread? I suspect you have a Cooper make you a wooden bucket? Does a Paper Boy deliver the daily at your house? Does your milk come in glass bottles on your porch? Are there Tramps hanging around in the alley? Do you have Witch Hazel based unguents and ointments in your medicine cabinet? Is your nightsoil harvested by a guy with a wagon? Coal delivered?

I was wondering how old Tom was too. :laughing:

I was wondering how old Tom was too. :laughing:

Right? I bet he still gets his ice in big blocks with a saw out on a frozen lake...Bet he stores it all summer down in a hole filled with sawdust! Bet he wears underpants made out of Gingham!! Bet he puts Molasses on his sourdough pancakes! Bet he reads the Forum and the Sears catalog by a Kerosene lamp! :laughing:

" A stitch in time saves nine " .

Now thats an interesting and appropriate quote SS! We find thimbles!
Evidently, they were a commonly carried item back in the day..a person had to have a sewing kit to make in field garment repairs...A guy just couldnt run on down to Walmart for a new shirt..

I wonder how many people have a thimble or sewing kit carried daily?..Hell, you cant get on a plane with a knife or a pair of scissors or even a fingernail file anymore, so I suspect its 1 out of 100,000 who even knows what a thimble is... in America...

Back
Top Bottom