• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Do you Grid search or just stroll around

I use my brain and detect the most probable sites first, then if I find a good area I grid search it.

I grid and try to walk in as straight a line as possible but my girlfriend wanders around aimlessly. At the end of the day our finds are always just about equal.

Its a lot of fun to go to a place you have never been before....sort of look it over, assess the situation, imagine what might have went on here, then fire up the rig and see what the dirt finds are saying...Then a guy makes calculated adjustments, buckles down and works it accordingly....so yeah, location specific based upon the dirt clues and parameters in this particular point in Time......

If you are not gridding the area then you are missing way more than you should.

My first time at a site I wander around a bit to sample the sites potential , just to get a feel for it. If its a large area this gives me an idea of how I should break it up into smaller pieces , that I then grid and cover well each piece until the entire area is covered.

But if all you do is wander around you are realistically only hitting about 50% or less of the area and probably hitting some areas more than once. Thats not very efficient.

I'm a stroller. Years ago I spent time making sure I covered every inch. I was never much for the grid but darn close.

Of course today my hunting motivation is much different. Today I hunt for pure enjoyment and finding goodies is just icing on the cake.

Of course that's not to say I don't hunt hoping for the good stuff, it's just not as important as it once was. I put enjoyment at the top of my reason for detecting list.

I'm a stroller. Years ago I spent time making sure I covered every inch. I was never much for the grid but darn close.

Of course today my hunting motivation is much different. Today I hunt for pure enjoyment and finding goodies is just icing on the cake.

Of course that's not to say I don't hunt hoping for the good stuff, it's just not as important as it once was. I put enjoyment at the top of my reason for detecting list.

Spot on there for me Detector.

it mostly depends on the type of searching you are doing and the site.

Lost item recovery you have to grid the area. Same with archeology sites.

Parks, old houses and camps, I look at the site to see where the mostly likely spots are then I wander around those spots. Once I hit a good target then I spiral out around the target area looking for additional items in the area.

Ray

I have attempted to stay in a straight line for a grid search, but I always end up following my detector. i.e. I get a hit at the end of a swing and search out that target while totally forgetting my straight line. Yes, I admit it, I am a bad boy!:laughing:

Depends on the site. I usually start as a wanderer to get the feel of the place, then after finding some good targets I turn on the grid machine and cover it in a systematic search. On a very large area I'll put up stakes and string so as to not miss a spot then move to the next grid square.

bird dog I do a loop pattern or a grid pattern I usually do not wonder around like others. Also I dig almost everything when I am out in the field. Pennys and quarters still have the weird signals as well as certain gold. I tell you what I dug two rings and they sounded of when I was already over the target. soemthing put in gold to make that react that way. :?::realitycheck::confused::violin:

I'd LOVE to say that I grid everything....but I don't...I wander...I find the most likely spots (bleacher areas, sled hills, just outside of totlots, etc) and wander that area.

More grid than wander...

I prefer to grid if possible.
At one of our most hunted beaches i found a 1918 standing liberty by gridding. That same night, on the other hand, I found a mens 14k gold star sapphire ring while just swinging on the way back to the car.

Wander around on beaches checking the southeast slope on scalloped beach areas to low spots of the scalloped areas. When trying to recover a specific lost item I will grid the area and overlap.

Back
Top Bottom