• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Happy Groundhog Day!

I really love Groundhogs, Whistlepigs, or 'Dirt Beavers' as I like to call them...Especially the fat ones living on the edge of an upper Midwest soybean field...I really learned a lot about stalking, bowhunting, and snaring other animals thanks to them, Southern exposure building sites, by focusing on understanding their unique subterranean populace....With the rightly honed and developed skills, they are Super easy to catch, damn good eating, and their hide makes for THE perfect moccasins! Perfect size even!

Their back skin is about 1/4" thick and about 4" wide for the sole, and their thinner side skins naturally wrap up around your foot for comfortable uppers!...Not kidding at all...Really the perfect HotPocket animal for a Human Hobo Survivalist!...Not like a deer at all...thats too much meat for a lone transient Hobo to consume in one setting, plus, no seasons or permits required for Whistlepigs, no rules of engagement to worry about, you dont even need a firearm...compared to other critters, a squirrel is not enough, deer are too big, but a Dirt Beaver is just perfect! Hell a guy with no outdoor skills at all can get plenty Wpig roadkill vittles!...

What you cant eat on the spot you can make jerky out of to see you in good stead down the RR grade ...Dirt Beavers are the perfect Hobo Hominid fast food, herbivores, rich succulent red meat, lean and cardiovascular healthy....They have a defined daily schedule even, once you know this, its not like you gotta sit around and wait for them to show up, they will come straight to you, like an attentive albeit furry little woodland waitress, right on schedule, waddling casually right down the restaurant aisle, heading out to the bean field or to check on the salad bar......Yeah...They are one underrated and unappreciated animal..

Looking back, remembering...I've eaten no less than 200lbs of Groundhogs in my day, killed twice as many,...at an avg weight of lets say 6lbs..thats some Burger King Whopper numbers there! Didnt seem to hurt me at all right?:laughing: In most cases, Didnt even say 'Thank you' or leave a tip!:laughing:

Last edited:
My parents house butts up against a field. Every year they come burrow under the shed in the backyard. My dad made a trap and catches 3 or 4 a year. We take them out near Monocacy river and let them out there.

But, important question, do they taste like chicken?

Thanks Thanks :lol: I can assure you will repeat my detecting find of pulltabs.

Happy Groundhog Day to you, too!

My grandmother is with the Lord now, but otherwise today would have been her 98th birthday. She liked to say that she was born on Groundhog Day. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom