Georgia Treasure Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westernlegend1

Moved On
Fulton County Georgia
A Decatur Treasure Map
Most folks say that treasure maps do not exist, maybe most maps are only words or a couple of words in an old letter or diary. But a fellow named Eubanks somehow obtained an old map, which he followed to a happy ending. The map lead to an old house which was only ruins at the time of the treasure discovery. The find was a small chest under the still standing fireplace. Upon opening the chest he discovered some raw diamonds, a couple of old coins and two letters. The letters were the real prize! They were dated from 1781, and concerned the Revolutionary War. The letters were worth nearly $50,000!
Photo Included:​
This old picture of Decatur was taken back about the time of the discovery under the fireplace ruins of a house most considered an eyesore. One can imagine when word leaked out of the find, many folks sat back and said I had heard rumors since I was a kid concerning that place.

Attachments

• Decatur Treasure Map.jpg
    Decatur Treasure Map.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 11,663
Chattahoochee County
Fort Bennings River Bank Caches

This army base has its tales of treasure within its boundaries. Back in 1901, while working the Chattahoochee River, a dredge spewed out a large number of silver dollars. These are believed to have once been on a riverboat that had sunk many years ago. In 1962, a jug of old coins was discovered on the banks of the same river. And once more in 1970, a group of soldiers while training found yet another jug of old coins near the river bank. What else lies buried along the old river in Georgia?

Attachments

• fort benning's river bank caches.jpg
    fort benning's river bank caches.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 11,181
Dawson County
Cherokee Indian Gold Anyone?

Prior to the Indian removal of 1838, (the infamous “Trail of Tears” forced march to the West in which countless people of the Cherokee Tribe perished) families hid their wealth. This one report concerns 8 pots of gold buried on a farm between Silver City and Frogtown in 1838. What is interesting is that in 1932, two boys found one of the pots of gold. At the time it was worth $15,500, this was at $35 an ounce. Today this same pot of gold would be worth almost $350,000. Just think 7 more pots are still located here, and many more across the South. Could one or more be located where you live?
A nice scenic one from Dawson County. Could that old Cherokee Gold be hidden nearby? They left some sort of way-marks, keep your eyes peeled.

Attachments

• cherokee indian gold anyone.jpg
    cherokee indian gold anyone.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 11,076
Meriwether-Harris County Caches
Meriwether-Harris County Caches

The Civil War caused many caches of money and valuables to be hidden, how many still exist today is unknown. Two of the more famous buried caches of the Meriwether-Harris county area, involved plantations. Are they true stories or are they myths? The first involves a chest containing nearly $200,000 in gold and silver coins, buried somewhere in the area of Luthersville. The second cache (gold and silver) is supposed to be located south of Warm Springs. Further info on this one mentions the Layfield Plantation near the top of Pine Mountain, which then changes the county to Harris County, Georgia. Currently Pine Mountain is known as the F.D.R. State Park, and could very well be off limits for anyone seeking it.
Photos Included:​
A map from 1855 showing the towns of Luthersville and Warm Springs. The overlook view is from F.D.R. State Park, somewhere close to the actual site of the second mentioned cache.

Attachments

• meriwether-harris caches a.jpg
    meriwether-harris caches a.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 11,503
  • meriwether-harris caches b.jpg
    meriwether-harris caches b.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 11,332
Murray County
The Richest Man In Georgia

Joseph Vann was claimed to have been the richest man in Georgia. He owned vast tracts of land in Murray County. It is said that he buried many iron pots containing gold coins, dust and nuggets. He also had many business ventures in several states. Caches of his accumulated wealth could turn-up in a wide variety of locations.
Joseph Vann's home and a portrait of him.

Attachments

• richest man in georgia a.jpg
    richest man in georgia a.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 11,197
  • richest man in georgia b.jpg
    richest man in georgia b.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 10,957
Muscogee County
Nearing The End

Just before the fall of Columbus, Georgia, near the old steamboat landings, many cannons were tossed into the river to prevent their capture by advancing Union forces. There should be no doubt that much war material was also tossed into the waters along with the cannons.
Many riverboats would ply the riverways, and tie up at the old docks of Columbus. The next two photos show the Chattahoochee River, somewhere along the river was the locations of the old docks. It should be a reasonable conclusion that the main dock area was closest to the heart of the old downtown section. But that does not mean that was where the cannons were dumped in.

Attachments

• nearing the end.jpg
    nearing the end.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 11,221
  • nearing the end a.jpg
    nearing the end a.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 11,135
  • nearing the end b.jpg
    nearing the end b.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 11,180
Whitfield County
Rocky Face Mountain’s Golden Hoard

This is a very famous Northern Georgia treasure that has been found but never found a second time. A man had found a cave opening and entered it. Inside he discovered what he claimed was 1,000 bars of gold of unusual size. They were 9 inches by 9 inches by 6 feet long! These are thought to be of Cherokee origin and that when they were forced off their lands they covered over the cave opening. This is also the area that was heavily fought over during the Civil War.
Whitfield County is the location of this large hoard of gold bars. Buzzard's Roost was the scene of heavy fighting during the Civil War, not tied to the gold hoard, but still of interest to relic hunters. Dug Gap another Civil War site fought over was below Rocky Face, if I am correct Rocky Face appears in this old drawing.

Attachments

• rocky face.jpg
    rocky face.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 11,133
  • rocky face a.jpg
    rocky face a.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 10,869
  • rocky face b.jpg
    rocky face b.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 11,547
Spalding County
Griffin’s Missing Gold
According to local stories, somewhere on property once owned by a man named Duncan, there is buried a large amount of gold in an old orchard. It is unknown if this gold was buried due to the Civil War, or by a private individual at a later date. I wonder if the orchard is even there anymore today, what little I was able to find on this one, claims the orchard was within the town itself. I would think that 100 years of development could have swallowed the site with new construction by now.
A modern map showing the town in question, and an old postcard from the early 1900’s showing what a portion of Griffin once looked like.

Attachments

• griffin.JPG
    griffin.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 11,201
  • griffin early.jpg
    griffin early.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 10,916
Franklin County
Poplar Springs Revivals
This spot should produce some very interesting find when it comes to coins, relics and even old jewelry. The Methodist Campground located near Canon, had revivals from its founding around 1836 to the present day.
The picture is dated 1967, how many old coins could still be in the ground here? The site at one time was over 50 acres, it shouldn’t be hunted out! The map shows the location of Canon.

Attachments

• methodist campground.jpg
    methodist campground.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 11,005
  • franklin.jpg
    franklin.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 11,210
Lee County
Just Plowing Along
A Negro man named Riley was plowing his field back in the 1920’s, hoping to get his crop in to support his family. Times were tough in the Deep South for many like him, today was expected to be yet another one of hard toil. His plow blade struck a rock or so he thought. He went to take the rock and toss in on the pile at the edge of the field, but realized it wasn’t a rock, but a gold bar! He ran his plow over the area and found a couple more. Things were a bit better for his family that year and for a few after that.
A picture that depicts a farmer working behind his mule, it was a scene such as this, moments before lightning struck! Could more gold bars still be in that old field?

Attachments

• BlackFarmerWithFortyAcresAndAMule.jpg
    BlackFarmerWithFortyAcresAndAMule.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 10,784
Pickens County
Talking Rock Creek
This location has rumors of many caches of Cherokee gold that were hidden in the region when the Cherokee were forced out of the area because of the gold. The name Talking Rock Creek has several explanations also. One version says it is because of a strange echo caused by a nearby cliff, another claims that the name is because the Cherokees played tricks on each other back when it was their land. In 1838, the Cherokees in the area were forced to leave.
An old map of Pickens County with a red x marking the location believed to hold several Cherokee caches of gold. The second photo is of Talking Rock Creek, if all of these stories concerning Cherokee gold are true the creek could prove to also have some gold for those who look.

Attachments

• Pickens County a.JPG
    Pickens County a.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 11,922
  • Talking Rock Creek.jpg
    Talking Rock Creek.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 11,012
Pickens County
Talking Rock
This town should provide some interesting relic and coin hunting. It was one of the first settlements in the region after the Indian removal and was built on the Old Federal Road. The first churches and schools were also located at or very close by to serve the residents. One of the first businesses also brought about both financial success as well as attention of an unpleasant kind. It happened to the cotton mill of William Atherton, it flourished until it was destroyed by Sherman’s army.
A portion of a map showing the location of Talking Rock. An old photo of Main Street in Talking Rock, currently the population is under 50 residents.

Attachments

• talking rock aa.JPG
    talking rock aa.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 10,695
  • Talking Rock Main street.JPG
    Talking Rock Main street.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 10,639
Chatham County
The Pirate House Hauntings
This is one of the oldest buildings in Georgia, and is currently a restaurant. The building dates back to around 1750 and was a former inn for sailors and pirates. Employees have reported laughter in empty rooms and poltergeist activities. Jean Laffite once lived here, but it appears that the notorious Captain Flint haunts the building. Flint supposedly in his deathbed, kept calling to his First Mate, Darby McGraw to bring more rum. Local stories claim that Flint had buried a large cache of gold coins near the building. What was discovered was an unknown tunnel, found during remodeling. The tunnel lead to the river and was most likely an escape route to reach the sea. So the finding of an unknown tunnel makes one wonder if the stories of buried gold have any truth to them.
Two pictures of the famous Pirate House of Savannah.

Attachments

• Pirate House Georgia.jpg
    Pirate House Georgia.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 10,742
  • pirate house Flint.jpg
    pirate house Flint.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 10,977
Lumpkin County
Still A Mystery
Lumpkin County was the scene of a gold rush before the 1849 discovery of gold at Sutter’s Mill. There was even a Government branch mint in Dahlonega to turn the gold into coins, it ran from 1838 to 1861. This mint only made gold coins and today they are considered very rare to collectors. I have often wondered if any were found after finding one myself while I lived in Wisconsin. I did some research thru old treasure magazines figuring there had to be at least one story in the hundreds of issues I had. I also had a friend on another metal detecting site, who owned thousands of issues and he too looked thru all of his issues. Neither of us found any articles on a coin from this mint found while metal detecting. One would think that this area of Georgia would have to have some that were lost or dropped. If anyone has heard of any discoveries of any of these coins having been made, please feel free to post what you have heard or seen concerning the find.
A map showing Lumpkin County, which I feel would be the focal point for finding a Dahlonega Mint coin and a photo of the reverse of my coin. There was one story which hinted at some being found, but it ended in questionable claims, I’ll be doing up what I can remember about it and posting it soon.

Attachments

• lumpkin.jpg
    lumpkin.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 10,638
  • Gold Coin Back 6.JPG
    Gold Coin Back 6.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 10,803
Northern Section Of The State
Allegations
I read in an old issue of a treasure magazine that is out of print an article concerning an old property which once had a homestead on it. Two locals were given permission to hunt the old site. All that remained was the chimney and hearth stone, the building had burnt down years earlier. The two fellas who hunted the site received permission and so they went there and hunted. One got a signal that came from beneath the hearth stone. They removed the stone to find a container that held many gold coins. They took their find and left the property. Later the current owner of the piece of land got wind of the find and hired a lawyer. It made it to court and the current owner said the gold coins were the property of a certain deceased relative who once lived there. They even went so far as to have a total value of the gold coins. They claimed that the region this took place in and the dates involved meant that there where Dahlonega mint gold coins involved with this cache. But the hitch was, outside of the two treasure hunters involved, no one seen the alleged gold coins. The article left off with the case still tied up in court. At that point I was never able to find any mention of this the only story I could ever find that involved Dahlonega Mint gold coins. I’m sure others were found, but the finders either never made any claims of discovery, or they never realized the coins true value.

Chattahoochee River

Chattahoochee County
Fort Bennings River Bank Caches

This army base has its tales of treasure within its boundaries. Back in 1901, while working the Chattahoochee River, a dredge spewed out a large number of silver dollars. These are believed to have once been on a riverboat that had sunk many years ago. In 1962, a jug of old coins was discovered on the banks of the same river. And once more in 1970, a group of soldiers while training found yet another jug of old coins near the river bank. What else lies buried along the old river in Georgia?

I am not sure what else lies buried along this old river, but I hope that I find it! I am only 10 minutes away from this river. :D

Liberty County
Battles Of Midway
The town of Midway dates back to the mid 1700’s, but the area is interesting due to during the Revolutionary War, Tories attacked and burnt down most of the town. Rebuilding the residents went thru the same ordeal once more during the Civil War when Sherman’s Army advanced thru the region. But Midway rebuilt once more, today this area can produce relics and artifacts from both of these wars, as well as possible caches hidden to keep them from falling into the hands of the enemy.
A map of Liberty County with a red “X” marking the general location of Midway, a google map also provides a little detail on the region. Just added a satellite view of this ghost town location.

Attachments

• liberty Midway area.JPG
    liberty Midway area.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 10,917
  • Midway GA.JPG
    Midway GA.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 10,415
  • Midway Geogia satellite view.jpg
    Midway Geogia satellite view.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 10,464
No MD needed to find treasure

Years ago, in Georgia a Boy Scout troop, found on a camping trip about $50.00 in coins in a creek. Stone Mountain Halves, 25 cents, 20 cent, Flying eagle cents, Shield nickles, "V" nickles, Indian cents, large cents, and a few others.
I have found many coins, rings, and trash with my old Garrett's Groundhog"1973, my new 2500 is not like my groundhog and I have not found much with it.

Years ago, in Georgia a Boy Scout troop, found on a camping trip about $50.00 in coins in a creek. Stone Mountain Halves, 25 cents, 20 cent, Flying eagle cents, Shield nickles, "V" nickles, Indian cents, large cents, and a few others.
I have found many coins, rings, and trash with my old Garrett's Groundhog"1973, my new 2500 is not like my groundhog and I have not found much with it.
Thanks for the story about the Boy Scout's cache discovery, just goes to show ya that treasure is out there. In time that new machine will produce.

Wilkes County
A Rainey Night In Georgia
In 1865, a group of bankers from Richmond, Virginia loaded the money from the bank in Washington, Georgia onto some wagons to transport it to Richmond. The evening of the first day they made camp at the Chenault Plantation. That night under cover of a rain storm a group of robbers took the money and carried it off. This opportunity must have been a chance of a lifetime and not planned ahead to any degree. Confederate forces discovered around $75,000 which was tossed, most likely due to no way to transport it. They say the Negro’s shacks were searched and another $10,000 or so was taken back that they had hid. One can only imagine the punishment they suffered for this crime against their white masters, for at this point in time they were not yet free from bondage. The remainder of the loot was never found and amounts to over $100,000. Could it be buried somewhere in the area surrounding the Chenault Plantation? Chances are the robbers made sure they were not caught with the money because the price for treason would have been their lives.
A map of Wilkes County with a red “X” marking the location of the Chenault Plantation, and a photo of the plantation today. The plantation is currently for sale, they are advertising the disappearing Confederate gold as a selling point. The last picture is of a rural road in Wilkes County, did the robbers head down a road such as this one and bury the loot?

Attachments

• wilkes golden farm site.JPG
    wilkes golden farm site.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 10,669
  • wilkes Chenault plantation.jpg
    wilkes Chenault plantation.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 10,668
  • wilkes county georgia.jpg
    wilkes county georgia.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 10,527
Status
Not open for further replies.