Best home defense weapon?

Several years ago I lived in the country. At that time a number of motorcycles were being stolen. I built a shed for mine but it wasn't anything that someone determined to break into couldn't do. I couldn't be home 24 hours a day to watch it. My large German Shepard was on his chain when I wasn't home. He liked to lay under my trailer next to the shed. I came home one night to find him and his chain tangled in the door to my shed that he had ripped off but my motorcycle was still there. Someone had tried to steal it and found him instead.

those of you suggesting a handgun, please keep in mind that the OP is 18...which means that it would be illegal for him to purchase one.

Not to mention that he said that he did NOT want a gun...remember, not only do we all have the God given right to own a firearm, we ALSO have the God given right NOT to do so.

Have a look around your property and see where someone may try to enter it. For fences, you can plant some thorny plants. Might take a while for them to grow, but once they're grown, no one will ever want to jump your fence! :laughing:

Whenever you leave your home, make sure all the doors and windows are locked. Seems like an obvious thing to do, but many people forget :roll: Having an alarm, and turning it when you leave the house, would also be useful.

those of you suggesting a handgun, please keep in mind that the OP is 18...which means that it would be illegal for him to purchase one.

I think not totally correct? 18 in Michigan can buy handguns private party, just not from an FFL. I just double checked and Google agrees.

Edit: Actually, it's Federal law that 18 can buy private party, just not a dealer, lots of states just restrict further. I didn't know that, been forever since I had to look up anything gun law related.

I think not totally correct? 18 in Michigan can buy handguns private party, just not from an FFL. I just double checked and Google agrees.

Edit: Actually, it's Federal law that 18 can buy private party, just not a dealer, lots of states just restrict further. I didn't know that, been forever since I had to look up anything gun law related.

This is accurate. I work for a gun store in Michigan. We can’t sell a handgun to someone under 18. But a private citizen can sell a handgun to some over 18 and under 21 lawfully.

I have a Nest brand security camera system. Pretty cool. I can access them from any device, wherever I'm at, and it records up to 10 days of footage. It notifies my phone when it detects movement.

That being said, I could have bought 2 cheap shotguns for the same price. Get a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Both can be had for around $300.

For a shotgun I would use an Ithica or Mossberg. I would never rely on a Remington .... because they are known for jamming.

Every perp knows the sound of a round being chambered in a pump action shotgun and the sound of a double Barrell shotgun being closed

the short barreled shotgun is the best home defense made Load it with OO buckshot.

You watch to many movies!!!!

Working the action on any gun, just shorts yourself on ammo that you might need.

You watch to many movies!!!!

Working the action on any gun, just shorts yourself on ammo that you might need.

I dunno, the racking of a pump shotgun was enough to send me running a few times in my youth..... It's a world wide recognized sound.

With my newest acquisition, a short, pistol grip 12 G pump (bird shot now) I was wondering if the first round couldn't be a blank. Hearing that cannon go off then that all too familiar sound. I'd have to believe that your intruder would be a half mile away before you'd have to pull the trigger a second time. Less paper work, no mess. Hell, even if you popped off a blank just hearing someone outside trying to break a window or door. I'd think that would end the episode.
Still disappointed you can't set booby traps. They're one of my frequent mews.

Still disappointed you can't set booby traps. They're one of my frequent mews.

Same here! And I'm really good at it!... I stop along the road and give every dead porcupine a slap with a towel, then, I sell the quills to folks I know who do quill work...

Well, porcupine quills are a defensive item, and they have all sorts of other usages...put em in a dead drop drawer, glove compartment etc, anywhere somebody unbeknownst will reach in with their tender little dipskimmers and fish around like a bad little monkey for something valuable...

Got the Wife one day even!...For some reason she went fishing around in my glove compartment! Yeow!

I think your dog is growing an extra leg.

lol,...yeah he's a big boy,.and that's head to toe.

He's been specifically trained to "Have his way" sort of speak with any would be burglars should they survive his initial attack :laughing::laughing::laughing:

,..I aint got NO TIME for a got@%$!am thief of no kind anyway,..or pedofile or whatever the case may be. Once caught he can do what he pleases as far as I'm concerned. I've long been of the opinion we need more creativity in our justice system.

Aluminum T-Ball bat.

A baseball bat is slow to get around and you need two hands to swing effectively. Plus they aren't very good in close quarters, a hallway, or doorway.

A T-bat is light and easy to swing with one hand. It can be used in close quarters including in a narrow hallway or doorway.

I keep one by my bed even though I live in a nice neighborhood.

An Ar15 is an excellent choice for home defense. Loaded with frangible ammo such as a quality varmint bullet. Will actually penetrate less than buckshot or a pistol bullet. It expends all its energy inside the target. You just better hope the perp isn't wearing level 3 body armor. Will need different ammo for that scenario.
fbc3dac05526011cd24868a2f87889bd.jpg

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

For a shotgun I would use an Ithica or Mossberg. I would never rely on a Remington .... because they are known for jamming.

I never had a Remington jam but then I was using the older 870's. I don't know how reliable the new ones are. In fact the only pump that I ever had jam was an Ithaca using reloads. It only liked factory AA's.

LOL at those thinking chambering a round in a shotgun is a deterrent. What it is, is a good opportunity for a BG to shoot you while you take the advice of a doofus ex-VP.

another sign to post

Here is another sign to post! RK

Attachments

• smilewaitforflash.JPG
    smilewaitforflash.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom