5 Cent Trade Token

Stevo

Forum Supporter
Hey, I found this old token in the park we've been hunting. Its the same size as a nickel and is blank on the other side. I looked on the internet for awhile, but couldn't find anything like it. Does anyone know if this was a common item, and where it may have been redeemed? I think the oldest coin we found has been 1887, so some of these finds are relatively old, for this area. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• IMGP0716.jpg
    IMGP0716.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 4,628
Don't take this as gospel, but I've heard that those were used in slot machines in bars. To get around the gambling prohibition, the machine would pay out in those tokens which were supposedly redeemable only for merchandise. Unofficially, the bartender would give cash for them if he knew you well enough.

update - I see the linked post above gives a similar explanation.

I just found a token like yours today near St. Cloud Minnesota. It says 1883 on the back.

Attachments

• DSC01358.jpg
    DSC01358.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 2,971
I have found a few like that (about the size of a nickel with a hole in the middle) that were from Fishman's Pool Hall, found in East Texas, from a site that was active in the teens and early twenties.

My dad and I found one exactly like this about 10 years ago on the Texas Gulf Coast area. We were told that they were generic style tokkens used in local trade. It did not have any establishment id or date on it.

Cool token Stevo! I think these were generic type tokens that merchants good order for use in their establishments as opposed to buying specific tokens with their business name on them.

5 cent trade token.

Hi, I have three of these with different numbers than yours but otherwise, they are identical. I have read post on some other sites that also say they were used in slot or game of chance machines. You would put in a U.S. nickel and the machine would pay out in trade tokens to get around the gambling laws. The numbers are supposed to have linked the tokens to a certain machine. Guy said he sold 11 of them for $150.00. I have also seen some sell on auction site for $9.99 each. Best info I can offer. This is my first post on this site so please forgive me if I broke any rules.

Back
Top Bottom