Garage sale tumbler - Cleaning clad for the first time.

I use a vibrating tumbler. Lately I just run coins long enough to get them clean enough to go through a Coin Star. I don't even separate the since they aren't In that long. I remember when i used to run coins (separated) for longer times. I had a bunch of zinc pennies come out flattened with the zinc coming out the sides. They looked like a sandwich that someone had stepped on.

Folks laugh at me when I tell them that I use chicken grit in my tumbler to clean coins. It appears to be small pieces of granite. Obtained from Tractor Supply.

For clad coins I use white vinegar and a table spoon or so of rock salt. Tumble for 15 minutes and most are clean enough to go thru the coin counting machine at the credit union.

For pennies I use tap water and a bit of dish detergent. I usually tumble them over night. Crusty zincolns may take a bit longer and some of them never will be usable again.

chicken grit is ground up oyster shells

chicken grit is ground up oyster shells

I learned something today! Thanks. :thankyou:

That would mean you would not want to try and clean coins with chicken grit and vinegar. The acidic vinegar should react with the calcium in the tumbling media.

Back
Top Bottom