You may be right, I may be crazy!

Ace400

27 degrees yesterday. 27.
My brain: Let's go metal detecting!
My knees: Shut up, brain!!
Boy did the knees lose that argument!

Went out to a park to add to my pull-tab collection. Score of the day was my first double-pull-tab plug! Yes. I took a picture of it. Yes, I know.
On a similar note... Will I ever learn to stop digging up beer cans? Or is that just part of the game?

I put my new sand scoop in my backpack to pull things out of the creek, I was next to a creek the other day and swung my detector in from the edge and it hit a couple of good coin signals right away but I wasn't prepared to do anything about them at the time.
I worked the dirt for an hour or two, some trails, some woods, some open field... Found nothing but trash. Found myself standing at the edge of the creek. Did I mention 27 degrees? It was double that the day before when I was sitting at home waiting for FedEx to bring the scoop. Had my wellies on and I could see a decent shallow area down the bank from the trail I was on. What the heck. I climbed down the slope and stepped out into the water. I don't think I was in there a minute when I hit on a decent coin signal at about 7"! Ok...now what? The scoop would be useless, I was standing on rocks. I've watched enough Aquachigger videos on YouTube so I knew what I had to do... I pulled up my 4 sleeves (long johns, 2 sweatshirts (1 fuzzy fleece lined) and a coat, for those keeping score at home) and reached down into the water to start moving some of the rocks around.

Brain: Find the coin. Find the coin. Find the coin.
Hand: Aaaaaaaiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Good thing the brain won that round, after a few minutes of digging around I pulled out a dime. Not silver, but my first coin of the day. Jak was right, it feels good to get on the board that first coin. A few minutes later I hit on another coin signal only a couple of inches down. I kicked at the rocks a bit and fanned away the sand and silt, once the water cleared I saw a bit of green showing... Quarter! Ok, here we go! Not sure how long it was before I had my next good signal, but I got one and it was Deep!! I kicked at the rocks and used my Sampson to move some of the bigger ones. It took me quite a while to get down to this one and my hand started turning bright red. It was all worth it though when I pulled out the penny... My first IHP!!! Although I've previously found a Rosey and a Wheatie, I really felt like I finally got in the game for realsies standing there with an IHP in my hand! And it was in better shape than the clad dime and quarter I had just pulled out of the creek a few feet away. Ok, back to work. Over the course of the next hour or so I pulled 3 more pennies out of that little honey hole, 2 Wheaties and another Indian Head, my first coin from the 1800's!!!!

The last picture is an interesting relic I pulled out of the creek as well. I think someone was mining the slate at one point, I'll have to go back and take a pic of it.

After an hour of sitting in front of the heater when I got home, my hand thawed out enough to go on Amazon and order myself a pair of SCUBA gloves. And I guess I bought the wrong detector... If the good stuff around here is in the water, I need to be in the water. I'll have some time to ponder my next move, looking at the weather forecast tells me that creek is going to freeze over in the next few days.

Attachments

• 1.5.17Twofer.jpg
    1.5.17Twofer.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 787
  • 1.5.17Coins.jpg
    1.5.17Coins.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 785
  • 1.5.17Pick.jpg
    1.5.17Pick.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 793
Congratulations! Awesome finds! I'm liking the cut of your jib buddy! Dont let your mind or body talk you into or out of getting outdoors to hunt! Just up and go hunt natural, everyday, without thinking, just like taking a squirt! Beauty!
Mud

Nice job! Tough work but rewarding. On the cans and large items buried deep, if you raise your coil off the surface and sweep about 6-8 inches above it...you will know whether it is a huge target or a smaller one. The large target will mostly still ping with that added distance while a coin sized item won't just because of size and added distance. Signal strength and depth meter can help as well, as a coin sized target will still show correct depth including coil distance lifted, while large target will show something like 4 inches depth even though you are swinging 6 inches off the surface.

I've got in the habit of doing this quickly on every silver tone or high VDI reading because I've chased after several cans realizing they are still many more inches deeper than indicated.

I need to remember to do that more often... Like Always! Probably had twice as many cans as coins yesterday.

Picked up a pair of waders today and headed back to that sweet spot in the creek. I guess all it took to mess up my plan was a few days with temps in the teens and low 20's... Dang creek froze over. Supposed to be in the 50's and 60's later this week, maybe it'll defrost?
Probably just as well... The stupid waders didn't fit. I'm neither exceptionally tall nor overly plump... So why oh why don't the size 13 boot waders fit me? (They used to when I was younger and taller!) Sure, I had on a couple of extra layers up top, but everything except the boots was too tight and they were so short I couldn't stand up straight. And if I tried to kneel all the way down in them I'm pretty sure they would have exploded!
Back to the drawing board.

Heck with that cold.. You aint gonna find nuttin sitten on your butt thinking about gettin out. There is a bunch of us here with out any brains that say,,, Stay Home,,, we just go. I think you did darn good. Good luck the next time out... KEN

Yeah way to go getting out in the cold! Last time I went in the cold it was 27 or 29 can't remember and even with my wool fingerless gloves over my nitrile my hands froze and the ground was frozen but cuttable (freeze after rain).

I got me some new thicker nitrile gloves for next time.

I like inclement weather detecting - so peaceful with the sensibles indoors :lol:

Back
Top Bottom