• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Clump Grass signals

Semtav

Elite Member
Since I've only used one detector, I'm wondering if this is common with most detectors or specific to some of the Whites.

We have a lot of clump grass where I hunt. Mostly Crested Wheat grass.
these are clumps of grass with bare dirt in between. the grass can be anywhere up to a foot or more high, but the problem is in the bottom 3-4 inches. if I hit these clumps in the lower area it sets off a signal like I have a non ferrous item under it. It is worse with dew on it. Obviously I can't hunt lower than the clumps so I'm hunting 3-4 inches off the soil, but I have to raise it even further to eliminate a constant signal that I have a coin everytime I hit one.

That shouldn't be happening. From what I know (and it ain't much), what you are describing is a possible indicator of a coil problem. Look closely at your coil for cracks or exposed wiring, and repair or replace if necessary.

I do alot of hunting in the woods with the ATP. If I'm bouncing the coil off rocks or sticks I get some falsing as well. Think it's pretty common. Not sure if it's the impact or coil wire shaking. May trying running the wire straight up the shaft about a foot and taping it securely, may help, may not. Worth a shot though if it becomes an issue. I just got used to it so it doesn't me.

Since I've only used one detector, I'm wondering if this is common with most detectors or specific to some of the Whites.

We have a lot of clump grass where I hunt. Mostly Crested Wheat grass.
these are clumps of grass with bare dirt in between. the grass can be anywhere up to a foot or more high, but the problem is in the bottom 3-4 inches. if I hit these clumps in the lower area it sets off a signal like I have a non ferrous item under it. It is worse with dew on it. Obviously I can't hunt lower than the clumps so I'm hunting 3-4 inches off the soil, but I have to raise it even further to eliminate a constant signal that I have a coin everytime I hit one.

This happens to me with all of my white's coils. I can't imagine they are all bad.

Back
Top Bottom