• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Keeper ratio kept getting better!

StevenB

With cold weather and shorter days approaching, I took advantage of nice Sunday weather for a full day of detecting. First stop was a small neighborhood church built in the 1930s where I had a nice chat with the pastor who gave me the go-ahead to search. The grass was fairly free of trash and in two hours I managed to locate a 1943 mercury and a 1937 buff along with over two bucks in clad and a couple of modern arcade tokens. Then after a brunch break I met up with a fellow detectorist and we tried our luck at a rural school building (still in use) built in the 1920s. We didn't bother with the playground but instead hit the front lawn. I dug a weak low-50's signal and pulled out a 1903 V nickel, my first ever. It was so worn flat that at first I thought it was a blank slug, but I'll take it! Unfortunately the coin signals were few and far between and I only dug two more coins in the time we were there, but one of them was another mercury. So, two out of three were keepers! Finally, we headed to an 1850's house owned by a friend, and although we dug some small relics including a pocket knife, I only dug one coin the entire time we were there. But what a nice one, a lightly circulated 1890 IHP with beautiful patina, my oldest coin ever! So I'll call that 100 percent keeper ratio. I'm pretty confident that all three of the day's sites had been hunted before but if I can find one good deep coin that others have missed I'm happy!

Attachments

• IMG_20171107_090436975.jpg
    IMG_20171107_090436975.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_20171107_090629155.jpg
    IMG_20171107_090629155.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 580
Those are some pretty nice finds! A buff with a date, some silver, a V and a beautiful, old, green Injun are all things we'd love to find! The other relics are also very cool. Good work!

Thanks for showing your results of a great day of detecting. Continued good luck!

Congrats on a successful hunt... Probably more left there for you to find HH

wow , old nickels with dates!!!! Where are you hunting?? I never get a buf with a date...
Nice hunt......

wow , old nickels with dates!!!! Where are you hunting?? I never get a buf with a date...
Nice hunt......

Thanks! I've only found a couple of Buffs before and this one was the nicest. Actually didn't know I had found it until I got home and rinsed off the handful of clad I dug that morning.
Thanks to everyone and good hunting!

Last edited:
That's just out of this world great! I'd be in hog heaven if I had day like that. Big Super Congrats!

beephead

I just imagine people walking around with those as spending money...it's bizarre to realize that it was very normal,when if WE find one of those it's like we found the Crown Jewels! Very nicely done,great group of coins! I'd be proud as HELL of that hunt!

Congratulations on a nice group of finds. I don't think that V nickel is that badly worn, typical for the ones I have found, plus most of mine have little pimples on them, lol.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom