Garrett 2500

Silversmith45

Elite Member
I was offered a Garrett 2500 for what I think is a good price. It is supposed to be the top of the Garrett line but I have read mixed reviews about it. Mainly that it's heavy bur some say it's not worth buying. I think a lot of the negative reviews are by some who never took the time to learn the machine. Has anyone here had any experience with one?

The only thing I've read on some of the other forums around is that it is old tech. I've read that the Pro models have the newest technology from Garrett. Also, if you search YouTube, there are couple of videos out there showing that the AT Pro/Gold goes deeper than the 2500.
I think the one thing about it that's different is the graph that shows the probable size of the object.
Then again, I have no personal experience with the 2500.

How many detectors do you need brother?:lol:
No opinion on this but I have a sniper coil in my car for you!:yes:
Will drop off today.:cool:

I have an older model - it talks! - that I bought for the cost of an entry level machine.

It's kind of heavy but I can do 4 or 5 hours at a time with it. I'm a five foot two female who's eligible for Social Security.

I've hunted mainly my yard, a trashy old place. But my 2500 has found several old coins and tokens from 1847 to the turn of the century at an average of 7 or 8 inches. She alerts me to larger iron targets at a foot, and I've also dug iffy unclear signals for targets 3 or 4 inches that turned out to be teeny weeny pieces of wire. So I know she can sniff things out.

The things I don't care for much are that it's lonely out here in GTI2500 land. Seems most prefer to discern sounds over having a display screen. My old girl talks, and maybe a guy wouldn't care for that since it's kind of like having a backseat driver :lol: keeps me company, though.

And sometimes discrimination modes require a couple swings over the same ground to silence signals. Sometimes it's frustrating to get great signals and dig a stinkin nail. But I don't know if that's the machine's fault, or just how the target reads to her. I also find a lot of inconsistentcy with things like nails, which come up as anything from iron to pulltabs to coins. Again, it might be n
Machine, it might be the target, I don't know.

Most on here talk about tones and whispers and stuff. I think that's pretty limited with the 2500. I've discerned a few, but don't rely on them for ID. That's what the display is for.

I've heard negative comments on the Garrett Belltone coin alert, but I like it. Hours on end of beep, boop and I'm ready for bing-bong :lol:

All in all I like my machine, but admittedly don't have any experience with other ones. It seems kind of dummy proof though, I think that's the point of the display screen.

Hope this helps. HH

The one that I was offered has the voice too. As for nails, I think about any detector will hit on rusty nails and they can show up in any place from iron to dollar readings. Is it a difficult detector to figure out? For that matter there is a lot about my XLT that I still don't understand and I've had it for several years. I was going to download the manual but it is over one hundred pages. But the n the one for My Ace 250 was over fifty. I guess I'll have to buy some more paper.

I think it's an easy machine. You can choose settings from a clear, simple scrolling menu, and if you screwcupvit's easy to go back to the factory settings and start over. There are several disc modes, and they all have the imaging feature. The all metal mode doesn't but I think it has more of the sound thingies. Not sure, I don't use it in my junky yard. Pin pointing is a snap, I'm usually spot on my targets. I like the imaging feature. Depth seems to be mostly accurate depending on soil conditions, and size is accurate too.

If the voice drives you nuts, you can shut her up with the push of a button.

You can also switch between disc modes by pushing a button. It helps to refine the possible ID of a target.

I bought my machine from a local MD dealer; it was a trade in on a salt water machine. No manual came with it, but an email to Brad at Garrett had the manual and the instructional CD at my home in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom