My new Fisher F75 arrived today ---

GoldenRoyBoy

I'd ordered the new Fisher last week and it arrived today. No surprises really other than the battery compartment. Although it uses 4 AA batteries, Fisher opted to creat a potential problem IMO with the way the batteries are inserted and held in place precariously perched atop 4 very flimsy looking springs. If you have one of these units, you must know what I'm talking about. One word of caution; don't be successfully tempted to remove the foam patches behind the back two batteries. Doing so will result in the batteries being able to shift around. :)

I came back to add, I was also a little surprised at the "small-ness" of the grip. I'm not a big guy and my hands are not that large but the grip sure feels "small" in my hand. I opted to go ahead and install a Wilson racket grip material right over the foam. Problem solved! The Fisher now "feels" like a really neat machine. (hint) Install the material without removing the adhering tape so you can better judge how the material should fit the grip before your final installation. Once in place, there's no removing the tape.

I like the simplicity of the new F75 unit and plan on hunting with it tomorrow. I'm anxious to compare it to my Explorer SE and Tesoro Cortes. Does anyone know if SunRay make an attachable probe for this unit?

Thanks!
GRB

Last edited:
Good luck with the new detector! I saw some posts on another forum about Sun Ray probes for the F75 and I believe he said demand will dictate if they're made. I'd email him and let him know you're interested.

Hello Geo!
Nice to hear from you again!

Yes, I understand SunRay "does not" make a probe for the F75. I suspect they will once the success of the unit becomes apparent.

You know, speaking of battery compartment designs I once owned a Fisher 1266X. I never did like the flimsy plastic battery packs that came with the unit but the design worked and worked well. Personally, I don't understand why Fisher and other manufacturers don't opt to use 9 volt systems. Doing so would mean less weight and less room needed for battery storage.

I couldn't resist, actually running down to a local park yesterday to try out the Fisher. I must say the "noises" do take a bit of getting use. Something about the "crackling-beeping" sounds, when on target reminds me of my Cortes. The machine is easy to use however and much lighter than my SE. I trust Fisher will be introducing more coil options in the near future as I can see right now the standard coil won't fit every hunting situation. In the 15 minutes I actually hunted I found 2 quarters, 2 pennies, a dime, a small metal bar and several pulltabsbefore getting rained out. I dug the pulltabs mostly out of curiousity as the machine ID'ed them "spot on!"

Keep swinging!
GRB

Good luck with the new detector! I saw some posts on another forum about Sun Ray probes for the F75 and I believe he said demand will dictate if they're made. I'd email him and let him know you're interested.
I have always wondered that if a person spends around a thousand or more dollars on a detector, it seems it should be able to pinpoint the target well enough without the need to spend even more money on a optional pinpointer, which some can be quite expensive. I'm not knocking pinpointers just doesn't seem that I can justify the added expense after paying so much $ on the detector. Steve...

Hello SkiWhiz!
We detectorists think alike! :)

In all honesty, I've grown to absolutely love the Sunray product; I only wish they could make it for all detectors. Using my Cortes and Fisher, I miss the convenience of being able to use my Sunray probe. The alternative is to use a stand alone probe or none at all. I have a free Fisher which is junk. Shame, shame Fisher! The battery cover, located on the end will not stay in place. I had to "duck" it! Besides, we carry enough tools in the field without have to worry about another. Stretching the headphone cord to get to the coil end of the detector can't be doing any good on the connections. And, the manufacturers don't help by placing the headphone connections on the opposite end, (SHAME SHAME MINELAB SE & FISHER F75!) generally as far away from the coil as possible. :)

GRB

Back
Top Bottom