Crazy Garrett

Silversmith45

Elite Member
If you have ever had a Garrett detector that uses the long four battery holders, you know that before long the ends give out. I have a bad one in my 2500 and when I changed batteries it didn't want to work right. I played around with it and tried the factory reset several times but that didn't work like the last time I had problems. I gave up and stuck it in my closet figuring that I would have to save up money to send it in and have it repaired. When I got up this morning I decided to try it one more time before taking the batteries out to use in a different detector. Now the thing is working again. I'm hoping that it's cured
because it is one of my favorite detectors. I only wish that they had used a different battery system on those older Garretts. This is another one of my bad battery holders. Anyone else have problems with them?
Battery Holder.jpg

Yeah...I could see that batt holder was a weak point when I got my AtPro several years back...so I ordered a spare and keep it in the car...so far, I'm still on the original, and I change batts a lot when I'm hunting...like a 48 pack per season easy...

There were a few posts from guys that broke theirs...definitely a guy cant have this happen in field for such a minor deal, the day would be over without a backup...

I see listings fro the battery packs. The ones for the At Pro and the Garrett 2500 are listed differently but they look the same. Are they different and if so how? I have several different detectors that use the same style of battery holders. I don't know if I can get by with the same holders in all of them.

Last edited:
Yeah...I could see that batt holder was a weak point when I got my AtPro several years back...so I ordered a spare and keep it in the car...so far, I'm still on the original, and I change batts a lot when I'm hunting...like a 48 pack per season easy...

There were a few posts from guys that broke theirs...definitely a guy cant have this happen in field for such a minor deal, the day would be over without a backup...

Rechargeables ?

Get one of these and put those problems behind you. :waytogo:

I bought one this year and so far , lovin it . Can't prove anything , I was having problems with the new Nel coil , even with new batteries ,I noted that on this forum . The problems went away with the new system , so maybe it was the holder all along . :?: :?: ,,,,,HH

Rechargeables ?

No.. I just dont trust them...Not on account of they do not perform, Its just that in my predicament, theres simply NO WAY a set of batts would be left alone by my room mates...

Heres my unique problem with rechargeables....I'd be up at 4am like normal, going to grab my recharges for a wonderful hunt, and sure enough..they would be missing out of the recharge station!..Of this I have NO doubt! Tragic!

I cant find a damned old screwdriver around here let alone a brace of fresh and unmolested dubble A's!

So yeah.. I just roll Dollar Store cheapo alkaline 'toss offs' that I keep in my car....in my present state, it works for me...I dont know what else I can do here...$10 for a set of 48?....who needs a recharger? Time and Gold wait for Nobody!:laughing:

My old Teknetics 9000 came with rechargeable batteries. It took 14 of them. I used to get about a mile away from my car and they would go dead all at once without any warning. At least regular batteries tapered off so you knew when to change them. It even worked with heavy duty batteries but now I think everything uses Alkaline. I have never trusted rechargeable batteries since. I got a bunch of 9 volt free so I don't have to worry about them. I just need to replace those stupid battery holders in my 2500.

I had nothing but problems with the rnb packs. I got 2 from kellyco and both died in the first week and refuse to charge. Returned and got money back. Stock pack still working strong.

Sounds like they were old stock.

The new rechargeable batteries are so much better than they used to be. Nimhs are an improvement on the NiCads, and the Lithium batteries are incredible in comparison. I have a portable radio that I carry, and the Lithium rechargeable pack lasts all day on receive, less if I use it to transmit, naturally. If you haven't used the new rechargeable batteries that are available today, you are in for a real treat. Only thing is you have to make sure that you get fresh, new batteries, not ones that have been sitting on the shelf for a year before they get shipped. I don't know about Nimhs, but Lithium batteries start counting down their life immediately after manufacture, NOT at the put in service date.

I had nothing but problems with the rnb packs. I got 2 from kellyco and both died in the first week and refuse to charge. Returned and got money back. Stock pack still working strong.

Wow, sorry to hear that. Mine has worked flawlessly for over 6 months. So well that I don't even pack around spare AA'S anymore. 40+ hours of detecting time per recharge is well worth the clad I cashed in to buy it. HH!

I see listings fro the battery packs. The ones for the At Pro and the Garrett 2500 are listed differently but they look the same. Are they different and if so how? I have several different detectors that use the same style of battery holders. I don't know if I can get by with the same holders in all of them.

I have the AT Pro and the Garrett 1350 the (4 battery holders) look the same but one is just a tad shorter. Not sure about the 2500 but most likely there is a difference.

I have the AT Pro and the Garrett 1350 the (4 battery holders) look the same but one is just a tad shorter. Not sure about the 2500 but most likely there is a difference.

I think that they could be a little shorter. They are a tight fit as it is. I think that is what damages them. Once they start to fail it is really hard to get them in place.

sue at garrett will send you new ones free

+1 I'm sure you could get one or two for free if you call Garrett. I took my battery pack out to change batteries a few years back, and dropped it on the frozen ground. Snapped immediately :roll: a buddy had a spare, but garrett is always good about that kind of stuff. I would contact them and ask for one even if you dont need one. Good luck and happy hunting!

On my ATP, after the first 300,000 miles, I had to put a nickel on top of the batteries before putting the cap on. Without that nickel in there, it would shut off whenever you bumped it just right..

<°)))>{

Somewhat related... do you guys ever put that battery compartment cap on the wrong way? I dont know why, but I ALWAYS put it on the wrong direction. Everytime. I turn it closed and it doesn't match up right. Is it just me?

Somewhat related... do you guys ever put that battery compartment cap on the wrong way? I dont know why, but I ALWAYS put it on the wrong direction. Everytime. I turn it closed and it doesn't match up right. Is it just me?

I put mine on upside down sometimes, I just leave it like that..

<°)))>{

I have a gti2500,,Just up and quit on me a few months back..no power at all..im thinking it’s gotta be somthing with the batteries too,cause it ran fine when I parked it,,a few months later it won’t start,lol

Back
Top Bottom