Class ring returned - lost for 52 years

divdigger

Forum Supporter
It was September 1964 when my dad lost his high school class ring (and his finger) in a farming accident. I've been searching for it for the past three years on the farm in eastern Indiana where he and mom still live. I've been over the area more than a dozen times with no luck -- until today. :D I finally found it after trying out a new 6" Coiltek on my eTrac. There was a lot of trash in the area so I needed a smaller coil to cut through all the iron.

This is by far my best find ever and #1 on my bucket list. I'm so happy I was able to return it to my dad this afternoon after 52 years! Oh yeah, and this is my first gold find too.

1958 Class Ring - Jackson High School, Preble County, Ohio (2 pictures)
picture.php

picture.php

My dad standing at the spot where I found his ring (1 picture)
picture.php

Only 4" deep within a bed of stone (1 picture)
picture.php

Congratulations

How great is that? You got to be super happy. That is a find of a lifetime. I bet you made your dad's day. Great story and great find.
HH everyone

How great is that? You got to be super happy. That is a find of a lifetime. I bet you made your dad's day. Great story and great find.
HH everyone

Thanks hikerdude. It made both our days--probably our year. I talked to my dad this morning and he still can't believe I found it. When I was a kid I remember how great I thought it would be to find it for him. I don't think it can get much better, but I'm not gonna let that keep me from trying. :laughing:

That has to be one of most satisfying returns ever , what could be better than for your Dad .someday the story and ring will be passed down to another generation and live on , Congrats , HH

Wow!!!! I've always love ring return stories but this one is extra special since it's a family member who lost it over half a century ago. It doesn't get any better than that. Huge congrats to you. I'd take a return like that over a gold coin anyday and trust me, I'd really love to find a gold coin.

WOW! Incredible! I found a friend's lost class ring too. She lost it in the late '60's too. I found it in about two minutes about 5" deep with my DFX. Peace.

Great save and return on Dad's class ring. There are pirates on this forum who would have kept it seeing how its been lost so long.

Ah, you're not a true pirate if you returned it, geez...... :roll:

:lol:

Very cool!, I bet your Dad was happy! Interestingly enough, My grandfather also lost a finger in a farming accident. Probably happened a time or 2 back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom