what do you hate more?

For me it's the bent or broken pull tabs that I hate the most. Nice tight gold/nickel/lead signal in the ground; big disappointment after digging. Normal whole pull tabs give off a little different signal making them easier to ID and skip over. :p

Attachments

• F2N4SABFYTCPCAN.MEDIUM.jpg
    F2N4SABFYTCPCAN.MEDIUM.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 133
I actually run into more of more of the pull tab can lids than I do pulltabs. Not the whole can itself but the lid :no: They always give me a solid hit on my ATP. I'm not sure where the other part of the can is either

Back in the 60s and 70s when pulltabs first came out, only the top of the can was aluminum, the rest was steel. Over the years the steel has rusted away. I find lots of these.

Gold colored pull tabs. Beach hunting at night with a headlight... just the glint is enough to get your hopes up.. and then crushed. Hate those fn things

These are my top five annoying targets:

1) Pull Tabs
2) Square Tabs
3) Zinc Pennies, especially rotten ones since they tend read lower like an IHP.
4) Bottle caps
5) Can slaw

Hate them all but probably pull tabs the most since I dig them so frequently.

Carefully untangling a shallow pull tab from grass roots is less fun than untangling a gold ring in my limited experience.

Pulltabs are the most annoying for me. I get all kinds Beach hunting.
I had one last week that had a root growing through it. I left it so I wouldn't have to cut the root to remove it

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Old beaver tails are the worst. They give off such strong signals.

At least, when you're digging beaver tails, you know you're in an older area.

I vote pull tabs. I can understand twist caps, but there's no reason to take the pull tab off the can.

R5

Seriously - has anyone actually dug a gold ring when they thought it was a pull tab??? Were there other factors that led the person to dig???

On the beach (CZ-21) I dig everything........ parks (F75) not so much......

The answer to your question is yes. In February I was detecting in a park. Had a target that vid indicated possible pull tab. The tones were about what I expected for a pull tab. But for some reason I felt like I needed to get that pull tab out of the park. When it hit the air that pull tab turned into a 10k class ring from 1931. I was expecting a pull tab and was quite shocked to see a ring.

For me I don't mind any. If it's a junk target I get it out of the ground. If a good target, I get to do my happy dance! The fun for me is in the hunt! Digging tabs gets old, but so does work. I'd rather dig tabs than sit at my desk.

Well today dug something I hate worse then tabs, got a iffy low conductive target at about 8".

Decide to proceed and dig just out of curiosity. Out came a gold ring.....I thought......... darn pewter gold plated yuuuuuk:(

Attachments

• IMG_0930.jpg
    IMG_0930.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 93
I need to second the vote on the gold pulltab. I do alot of digging at night and when you see that little glint of gold in using only the light of the pointer the heart starts racing really quick only to be let down again...

I think of pulltabs as little friends! They are a form of a trail marker that can put a person on a valuable drop zone! Especially the old beavertails, they certainly let a guy gain some knowledge about an area and determine what to focus on...

One little Example: A grouping of beavertails out in a BB park Centerfield....Somebody was out here drinking a beer back in the 60's, probably married and wearing a real GOLD wedding ring! (Drink time is Drop time!) And, NOBODY else has been here hunting for gold yet! Any zinc signals at the same depth? (Big Class Ring) Am I set up correctly and thinking Gold tones?

Pulltabs tell us stuff like this...so does their absence at a 60's era park...tells you some gold hunter was active here so a guy may as well go bang clad on the sidelines..:laughing:

The inland Waterbabies get positively weeweed up when they hit them beavertails wading! Drinking in the 60's! Nobody has hunted here for Gold yet! Yippee!

Tabs are little trail markers to put us on the pay! Think of them like this and it isnt so awful! What else you gonna do? Go around pist off all the time at an innocent discarded little scrap of aluminum?:laughing:

When you relic hunt, the shotgun shell is my biggest enemy, besides my ex-wife that is.

I actually like the shot gun shell head stamps. I find them all the time and it keeps me busy between good signals. They have neat names, age and can be dated. But I like to hunt so maybe that's a difference maker. Some hunters collect them (the OLD ones anyway). Last year on a site I found an early UMC head stamp from the 1890s and the guy was very happy to have it.

Back
Top Bottom