You SAW What I Found

Chipk

Elite Member
Was searching a wooded area today and got a solid signal. Dug down about 4 inches and hit a solid piece of metal and a bit of probing told me it was sizable.

Because thick roots were growing over it, I hiked back to my vehicle and grabbed my lopping shears and a 2x4 board. I removed the roots and located the edge and levered it upward enough to work the 2x4 under it. I worked it under my target and then knelt one knee on it to keep it elevated enough for me to determine the edges of it so I could clear the dirt off of it.

That’s when I saw the serrated edge and realized I was liberating a large saw blade. Small saw mills were known to have existed in the area.

Finally I was able to wrench it from the ground. 24 inches across and over 30 pounds it’s quite a trophy. I have a number of Early American farm tools. Axes, picks, hoes and wood mauls and this will make this collection even better.

Attachments

• 6C5DCD10-27EE-4CC4-8D29-91EAE87F1BBF.jpg
    6C5DCD10-27EE-4CC4-8D29-91EAE87F1BBF.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 815
Now that's a real sharp picture. And I get your point.:laughing: It sounds like you had a good time. I always enjoy digging up those old iron tools myself. But I never found the saw blade.

Was searching a wooded area today and got a solid signal. Dug down about 4 inches and hit a solid piece of metal and a bit of probing told me it was sizable.

Because thick roots were growing over it, I hiked back to my vehicle and grabbed my lopping shears and a 2x4 board. I removed the roots and located the edge and levered it upward enough to work the 2x4 under it. I worked it under my target and then knelt one knee on it to keep it elevated enough for me to determine the edges of it so I could clear the dirt off of it.

That’s when I saw the serrated edge and realized I was liberating a large saw blade. Small saw mills were known to have existed in the area.

Finally I was able to wrench it from the ground. 24 inches across and over 30 pounds it’s quite a trophy. I have a number of Early American farm tools. Axes, picks, hoes and wood mauls and this will make this collection even better.

maybe you can afix it to a p.t.o on a tractor, and ya gut yaself a "buz saw!"
cut some wood!..super find! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

People like to paint on such things using acrylics. Nice cabin in the mountains or like. Cool tool! :cool:

That's a biggun. Now run over to the local Home Improvement store and try and find a Skil saw large enough to bolt that sucker to. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom