need help from ctx water users

Dflan83

Elite Member
Hi Everyone, I love my CTX on land but I seem to be missing targets in the water and I am wondering if its the discrim pattern that I use. My buddy kills in the water with his equinox and gets some small stuff that I either have discriminated out or just is not picked up well by the ctx

I normally hunt in lakes in the stock minelab beach mode but my buddy says its discriminated out too much to be useful. Anyone with lots of experience using a ctx in the water? I am wondering if I need to drop the FE line a bit from where it is

Can you tell us what sort of disc. pattern (#'s or screen or whatever) that you are running ? Are you electing to hear iron (albeit as the tell-tale tone you'll mentally pass) ? Or are you electing to knock out the audio from iron (such that the CTX silences when you pass over a nail ) ?

And I notice that you're saying "Lakes". As opposed to salt-water ocean beaches. If so, then make sure that your CTX isn't in the "beach" mode that's meant for SALT-WATER beaches. Because if it, then you're knocking out the parts of the disc. that would be the wet-mineralized salt #'s . In order to quiet things down in the ebbing surf. And there are teeeennnsssy things that could also fall in that range.

Even the Nox, when knocking out wet-salt #'s, is likewise prone to miss dainty earring studs, etc.... So perhaps your Nox friend is simply correctly using fresh-water settings, whereas you are using the CTX default "beach", which is no doubt meant for SALT beaches. So make sure your disc. pattern is totally open, such that you're hearing ALL items, whether iron or conductive. Then just rely on your ears to pass iron.

But beyond that : It's no secret that since the Nox is a cross-over machine for nuggets (where a user needs to be able to get stuff as small as pinheads), then go figure: It's going to have a better chance at micro-jewelry .

But can you shed light on the type targets he is getting, that you're not ? Are we talking tinsel thin dainty chains ? Earring studs ? Or ... ?

Try running with Smooth enabled. It helps you catch the small warbly signals that are small pendants or clasps on a chain.
Pattern 1 disc out ~1\4 of bottom, pattern 2 disc out just two lines at or so of bottom. Mainly use pattern 2 unless tons of hairpins etc.

What Tom said. We need more info to help the best we possibly can.
But yeah, dont run the Beach saltwater mode in a freshwater lake.

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for all the replies. I am fairly positive I was not in saltwatermode but using the discrim screen from that. I think I will try the pattern you suggested and just get rid of the iron.

how about you give us ALL of your settings? Include a pic of your discrim pattern too.
Off the top of my head (not looking at my CTX)
audio: full blast
auto +3
threshold at just below a hum
for a lake? coin or silver on
fast on
deep off
pitch hold
combined tone with my gold and coin tones at or above 900
iron bias
get some GOOD headphones. If not submerged i use ear buds
all i got right now. i'm being forgetful cuz i went dirt fishing today

Back