Big Ben, cool Watch Fob, Merc, Rosie, Indian Head, Sterling!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
As I mentioned in the "Liam" thread, I did get to head up to Missoula today (Thursday) to detect with my friend (Nox 800) from Helena Montana. It turned out to be a good day for me, and a decent day for my friend.

We ended up in a neighborhood with homes from 1890 to the 1930's. The first permission was from a nice guy who owned a 1925 house. He saw us detecting the curb strip across the street, and came over to visit. After some chatting, he offered his front yard to be detected. Not a ton of coins, but my second coin was a 1904 Indian Head Cent! No silver coins were found but we both did get some wheat pennies and clad, and I found a nice "925" marked thick large Sterling Silver ring along the sidewalk in the yard, and was happy with that!

I noticed a lady arriving home across the street at a 1913 house. I got the OK to detect that yard for us, on the condition we gave the coins to her. I usually don't accept that situation, but thought... what the heck, we can keep any odd finds so let's see what is here! As it turned out, no silvers there, but we did find modern coins and a fair amount of wheat pennies back as far as a 1915-P to give to the owner. My friend found a flattened old thimble which he wanted to give to the owner, and I got a cool ca 1910 "Compliments of the INDEPENDENT TELEPHONE CO." watch fob which I could keep. This company began business in Butte Montana about 1900, and had a gorgeous historical building office / exchange in Missoula that is still standing. I was very happy with this "local" find.

I caught the next door lady home, and she gave the OK for her front yard, a circa 1905 house. I did get a Silver Rosie and wheat penny spill, that had two wheats and one 1954 Silver Dime. My friend stayed on the wheatie train and found more, along with one Buffalo Nickel, and I did get some wheat pennies myself.

It turned out the owner of the 1905 house knew the neighbor lady really well, a neat and feisty 96 year old woman! She introduced us to her, and we soon had permission to check this additional home, built in 1910. My friend found a 1897 Indian Head Cent and more wheat pennies. I did really well near the house... in an area of old roofing nails, I barely picked up a solid high tone. I could only move the detector coil about an inch or so to stay on the high tone, and the VDI was jumping around. I was delighted and much surprised to pull out a 1951 Ben Franklin Silver Half! About 3 feet away, and only an inch down, I pulled out a 1919-S Mercury Dime. The curb strips were hammered in this area of town, nothing at all to be found.

I did get us permission at a gorgeous brick 1890 Victorian home, the couple who owned the home were super nice, and told us that the yard had been detected before. We did not find much there, I got a modern penny, Jeffy Nick, Clad Rosie and Clad Quarter. My friend found the only old coin, a 1928-S Wheat penny.

The last home we detected was built in 1905 and it was in the next block. The owners gave me the OK and my friend and I split up the yard to detect. I found an old UTAH STATE TAX TOKEN (not pictured) and some wheat pennies. My friend finally got on the Silver Train with a early date Silver Rosie.

We put in a solid day of about 8 hours of detecting, had a great time and made some good finds. Thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 470
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 471
  • coin3.jpg
    coin3.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 469
  • coin4.jpg
    coin4.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 461
Sounds like a super day was had by all! I'm glad you are still driving the silver count up. Congrats on the Franklin half----great save!!

Sounds like a super day was had by all! I'm glad you are still driving the silver count up. Congrats on the Franklin half----great save!!

Thanks Todd! Hope all is going well with you and that you can get out and detect a bit! I have not been out much in June, will try to do a bit more here in July!

Excellent hunt! I like that telephone fob! Congrats on the Big Silver! Happy Hunting

Thanks Diggerjonny! I do like that old "candlestick" style phone on the front of the fob.

Your still on the shine David. Congrats on a full day hunting with a good friend. The finds look good specially the Big Ben and the chunky piece of Sterling. Trapper

WOAH David, save some finds for us PNW'ers!

Seriously, great to see another half on the forum and all the other goodies.

Looking forward to the adventure!!

Congrats on the Big Ben and all the other cool finds LS. I really love the telephone fob. Very cool save. Question, those old notes you use for background, would you happen to have any related to Pittsburgh Pa.? If so, would you be willing to part with one or two. I would pay you for them. Thinking they would make nice background in a display cabinet. Good luck. Mark

Excellent hunt! Congrats on your fun day. Thanks for sharing the detailed story,love to read those! Take care and good luck on your next hunt.

Your still on the shine David. Congrats on a full day hunting with a good friend. The finds look good specially the Big Ben and the chunky piece of Sterling. Trapper

Thank you Trapper!

WOAH David, save some finds for us PNW'ers!

Seriously, great to see another half on the forum and all the other goodies.

Looking forward to the adventure!!

Thank you Paul! Yep, look forward to you and RainorShine coming over to Montana!

Congrats on the Big Ben and all the other cool finds LS. I really love the telephone fob. Very cool save. Question, those old notes you use for background, would you happen to have any related to Pittsburgh Pa.? If so, would you be willing to part with one or two. I would pay you for them. Thinking they would make nice background in a display cabinet. Good luck. Mark

Thanks Mark! I may have some old Pittsburgh Brewing Co fancy billheads, will see if I can find them and will PM you if I do!

Excellent hunt! Congrats on your fun day. Thanks for sharing the detailed story,love to read those! Take care and good luck on your next hunt.

Thank you Charlie, appreciate your kind words and glad you like the story!

Congratulations on that Big Ben (my white whale):mad:

Thanks matmit! Hope you lock onto a Big Ben soon yourself!

That's one coin Ive yet to find. I don't know why I want a benjamin half as bad as I do but man do I want one haha. I've found Kennedys, ikes, sacajewa, president dollars, etc etc, but the Franklin half has yet to get under my coil. Congrats on the epic hunt. Sorry for the late congrats, been a little while since I've been able to get out and hunt so I'm catching up on some old threads haha.

That's one coin Ive yet to find. I don't know why I want a benjamin half as bad as I do but man do I want one haha. I've found Kennedys, ikes, sacajewa, president dollars, etc etc, but the Franklin half has yet to get under my coil. Congrats on the epic hunt. Sorry for the late congrats, been a little while since I've been able to get out and hunt so I'm catching up on some old threads haha.

Thanks for the comments! Hope you do get a Big Ben soon, and you might out of that new park you are hunting up north!

Back
Top Bottom