Rosie, Wheat, Indianhead & another Token!

TundraPlugger

Elite Member
I got done with work today at a decent time so I decided to go detecting in that little town 30 miles away again. I got permission to detect an old church yard.
At first I wasn't getting any good signals so I figured it had been detected before. I was getting pretty discouraged when I came across a high pitched silver signal about 5" down. I pushed the lesche into the ground and hit rocks about 3.5" down. I pushed the plug out and started fumbling through all the gravel and rock. Needless to say, the silver Rosie that was giving me the signal got a little kiss from my digger.
I was a little bummed since it was an older Rosie but things happen I guess.
I kept detecting figuring that was the only good signal I was going to get until I hit a poor penny signal. It was showing about 5"-6" down so I already knew it was an Indianhead.....1902!
I quickly gave up on the yard and hit the curb strip. Lots of junk signals except for one good wheatie signal.....1917-D in great shape!

I had pretty much exhausted every spot around that church so I figured I would hit up the old park that I had hunted a hundred times before.... I didn't figure I'd find anything but I thought I'd see if I could get a deep nickel signal. Well I didn't come across any of those but I did come across a deep bottlecap signal at around 8 or 9 inches. I dug my plug and scooped out three loads of dirt. I ran my faulty pinpointer through the loose dirt I had dug out from underneath the plug and out pops another token!!! That's the 3rd token I've dug out of that park and the 3rd token of that store and denomination that I've dug from that town!!

All in all what I thought was going to be a poor hunt turned out to be a great one.

I've included amongst the pictures a shot of the town around 1908 I'm guessing. The church yard I hunted is on the left hand side of the photo towards The outside of town. The church has a bell tower in front of it.
The park is in the right half of the photo. It is a large square with a bunch of very small trees in it.
03c4ecf72ebcb95305c1888ac459b4e6.jpg
e90e40d915d1593fa8153f44317ab385.jpg
d0ed609f29ead6907d1d9a82b9066b31.jpg
6723b00dc67a13fdf9deae127dda71cc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Love those trade tokens! Nice hunt. Congrats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice finds, neat to see the old pic of the town too!

Thanks BBsGal! Sorry the picture came out so small. I came across the picture postcard on Ebay. It cost me $20 but I figured I had to have it. The town was incorporated in 1906 so I think this picture was taken shortly afterward.

Great write up on a very nice hunt, especially with scoring another token! That park is littered with 'em! Too bad about the knock on the Rosie - but pretty hard to avoid if you have to blast your way through gravel, I'd imagine. (I have to imagine, since I still haven't found a shred of silver! :grin:)

Thanks for sharing the postcard, too. Cool that you have a period image to match up to the current layout of the town, and to add historical perspective to your finds.

Great write up on a very nice hunt, especially with scoring another token! That park is littered with 'em! Too bad about the knock on the Rosie - but pretty hard to avoid if you have to blast your way through gravel, I'd imagine. (I have to imagine, since I still haven't found a shred of silver! :grin:)

Thanks for sharing the postcard, too. Cool that you have a period image to match up to the current layout of the town, and to add historical perspective to your finds.

Thanks Airmet! I was kind of bummed after I saw that I hit the edge of the Rosie but I just told myself "At least it wasn't a Barber!" And then digging up that token in the hunted out park made everything all better. Surprised the heck out of me when it popped out of the loose dirt from the hole..... I figured I'd found everything there was to find there as far as coins and tokens are concerned.
Hopefully I can get done with work early enough today to hit up another little town in the area. I'm sure the little park there has been hunted to death but I might go give it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom