Hello from sc

Rcowens1966

Hi all... I'm new to the hunt, I live in south Carolina, Columbia. Thanks for the add. I am a disabled vet that is looking to fill some time and possible my pockets! πŸ˜€πŸ’ŽπŸ’πŸ“ΏπŸ‘‘πŸ’«πŸ‘…πŸ˜€
I spent 12 years in the navy and have been to 28 countries. I use to work for a nuclear plant in health physics. Now I spend my days helping friends with various things and hunting, fishing, shooting and upgrades to my home.
I'll take any advice on where to get started hunting as tight now have no clue. I have always wanted to use a metal detector to see what I could find....
If anyone is in SC hit me up and e could go out sometime. So, let's hear from those with experience as to where to start... thanks again for the add
Russ

Welcome from Boston, rcowens1966. Tell us what you will be using for a machine and accessories, so that you can get some experienced advice.

I was stationed just down the road from you, at Shaw AFB, in Sumter, back in 1971-73.

Jim

Last edited:
welcome from the lowcountry. Your yard is a good place to start. Parks, Playgrounds and as you gain some experience, if you can get permission, old homes can be great. Expect to dig a lot of Junk as you gain experience. Let folks know what machine you are using and they can give you some advice that may help with the learning curve.

I decided that I did not want to make the navy a career so I got out after 20.

:fmdfwelcome:... from the cold & snowy state of Minnesota! :lotsasnow::snowtruck::snowballfight: Thanks for joining, we're glad to have you with us. :yes: I, too, enjoy hunting, fishing, and shooting. :yes:

Thank you so much for your service to our country! :tiphat:

Hi all... I'm new to the hunt, I live in south Carolina, Columbia. Thanks for the add. I am a disabled vet that is looking to fill some time and possible my pockets! πŸ˜€πŸ’ŽπŸ’πŸ“ΏπŸ‘‘πŸ’«πŸ‘…πŸ˜€
I spent 12 years in the navy and have been to 28 countries....

:welcome2: from the Great Black Swamp in NW Ohio! First, thanks for your service, Russ. Second, welcome to an extremely addictive hobby! Don't worry about feeling like you "have no clue"...we all started in the exact same boat at some point. ! But the members of this forum and the posts that you can read are an outstanding source of information and camaraderie - you've really come to the right place to find some good guidance. If you're really starting from scratch, my recommendation is to browse through some of the finds sections of the forum ("Coinshooters and Relic Hunters", "Beach and Water Hunters", "Civil War Relics", "Stories and Pictures of Finds", etc) - by looking through those sections, you can start to get an idea of the kind of finds and style of hunting that interest you the most. That will be a great starting point to figure out what type of metal detector you might wish to purchase.

Also, if you're interested in finding other forum members in your area, check out our new Forum Member Map, and let me know if you'd like me to add a pin for you:
**Revived** Forum Member Map

Another welcome from Central Massachusetts. If you like fishing and hunting you will love MD'ing. What machine are you using or are you looking for recommendations? I'm fairly new myself and use a Garrett ACE350 been pretty happy with it and it's easy to use.

Welcome from Columbia SC, if I can get some time I will hit you up. As for places to go? Older homes are usually good, as are some public grounds, although I am having trouble finding productive sites in the area. I hear Cayce is off limits for public grounds, but I'm not too sure. Lexington seems OK but I would avoid the "museum" area. My most productive area is a former Boy Scout camp that is now in private hands.

Wow, a very active group and there are some that are really close to me,
I'm using a Garret ace Pro 400, it seems like a good one, I have to check my settings so I get notified when there are replies...

Back
Top Bottom