$10,000,000 in Gold Coins!!

They have been in the rare coin business for 81 years and they happen to find $10,000,000 in gold coins under a tree on their property... :lol:

Suuuuuuuuuurrreeeee buddy...

Obviously bought the coins in some shady tax free transaction, and are trying to find a way to be able to sell them.

They have been in the rare coin business for 81 years and they happen to find $10,000,000 in gold coins under a tree on their property... :lol:

Suuuuuuuuuurrreeeee buddy...

Obviously bought the coins in some shady transaction, and are trying to find a way to be able to sell them.

Try a reading comprehension course. Not the couple who found them, the coin grading service who certified them has been in business for 81 years.

Try a reading comprehension course. Not the couple who found them, the coin grading service who certified them has been in business for 81 years.

Sorry. I just can't bite my tongue this time. I was going to respond to crumble explaining this, but you beat me to it. May I ask why exactly you had to start your explanation with an insult? You've been here one month and you're already insulting long time members. That's not what we do here. If you must insult someone each time they make a mistake, please take your comments elsewhere. Sorry mods, but I've simply had enough of rude comments.

Sorry. I just can't bite my tongue this time. I was going to respond to crumble explaining this, but you beat me to it. May I ask why exactly you had to start your explanation with an insult? You've been here one month and you're already insulting long time members. That's not what we do here. If you must insult someone each time they make a mistake, please take your comments elsewhere. Sorry mods, but I've simply had enough of rude comments.

Good point. But look at the overly cynical language used in his post. I'm not generally one to insult everyone who makes a mistake. We all make mistakes. But being derogatory and accusatory towards the couple was a bit over the top.

He could have stated, "Wow, what are the odds that a couple who have had a numismatic business for 81 years finds something like this."

But you are correct in that this is supposed to be 'Friendly' metal detecting forums. And in that spirit, I apologize for responding to this thread.

Papa

Yea my brother just sent me the article, and I told him this is the reason we go out everyday!! And I told him to get one so he can join in on the fun!!!

What's crazy is just previosu to reading this, I posted a thread about a dream I had last night. In the dream I dug a big cache of gold coins. Weird...:laughing:

I honestly dont know what would get me more. The appraised value of these coins, The fact that they are all original and are GOLD or the thought of "WHO" Put them there. If only we could touch things with our hands and see the history of how they got where they were found and why they were put there. Bandits? Bank robbers? Gambling money "stashed" for a rainy day? What happened to the one who buried it? Died obviously before they could dig it back up OR they forgot where they buried them? I would love to know the how's, why's, who's etc etc attached to these coins. I would not mind the money too. LOL. Ok, So Now I'll post my question to you all

1) Do you keep all of the coins or sell some/all of them for the cash and retire someplace warm?

2) If you keep some/all of them what do you do with them? Let a museum display them? Stash in safety deposit box?

3) do you buy the most expensive, worldly BEST Detector on the planet and scour your whole property????? :laughing::laughing:

What's crazy is just previosu to reading this, I posted a thread about a dream I had last night. In the dream I dug a big cache of gold coins. Weird...:laughing:

Well, sucks that it wasnt you tho right?? I mean it sucks for us all cause we know you'd share it will all your friends here right?? LOL

Well, sucks that it wasnt you tho right?? I mean it sucks for us all cause we know you'd share it will all your friends here right?? LOL

Haha! Yeah. One for everybody. Honestly, I'd consider it the find of a lifetime to find just ONE. Heck, it could even be a $1 gold coin, or maybe one as part of some jewelry. One! Better get myself diggin!:lol:

WOW!!!! Wish I had that dumb luck! :wow:

Reading the article states the coin dates range from 1847-1894.

It also said' "The coins, in $5, $10 and $20 denominations, were stored more or less in chronological order, McCarthy said, with the 1840s and 1850s pieces going into one canister until it was filed, then new coins going into the next one and the next one after that. The dates and the method indicated that whoever put them there was using the ground as their personal bank and that they weren't swooped up all at once in a robbery."

So it wasn't a robbery probably so whoever did this was storing them one at a time.

With a face value of $27,000 that would have been a heck of a lot of money back in the 1800's!!!!

I found a quick inflation calulator online and $27,000 of 1855 dollars would be worth: $729,729.73 in 2013!!

http://www.davemanuel.com/inflation-calculator.php?theyear=1855&amountmoney=27000

Who has that kind of cash and stores it in the ground and FORGET about it!?! :?:

Who has that kind of cash and stores it in the ground and FORGET about it!?! :?:

When my aunt passed away a few years back, my cousins found nearly $20,000 in coins stashed away in the closets. :shock:

I just helped my mom carry nearly a grand in quarters to the bank that she was storing in plastic wal-mart bags in the linen closet.

I suppose it's possible the person hoarding the coins passed away before they got around to 'needing' them. Like my aunt.

Papa

Sorry to hear about your aunt.

I hope you inspected that cache of coins for silver...

Thanks for the sentiments. I have fond memories of visiting that branch of my family as a child. I wasn't involved in any of the coinage, just know what my cousins found. They immediately moved it all into a safe while the estate was being settled.

That generation of the Great Depression were/are ardent about saving for a rainy day because they saw what could happen and feared it may happen again in their lifetime. That, plus the fact that many of them didn't trust the banks with their money.

Papa

Back
Top Bottom