Bucket Lister Less Than 100 Known $5 HALF EAGLE DUG DUG!!

Cal_Cobra

Tom(CA) and I have been working a site that we researched and it's produced several 1850's - 1860's seated coins, and some rogue early 1900's coins, as well as a variety of period relics.

We tried to get one more trip in before Old Man Winter completely shut us down, and it did in fact shut us down, but not before I finally, got something I've been looking for for a long time, and after watching others find them over the years, I was starting to think it would never happen.

Well it finally happened, and it turned out to be a good one, an 1865 San Francisco minted Liberty Half Eagle!!

Here she is out of the hole:

27064298169_51fa434aba_b.jpg

Here she is rinsed off:

27064347569_83a74697de_c.jpg

38841188751_abec3edf20_z.jpg

Here's a video of the hunt: https://youtu.be/SFyKr3MyOUk

Here's a bit of background on the coin from PCGS:

Less than 100 known, Mintage: 27,612

Although the mintage of the 1865-S is quite a bit higher than the mintages of the S Mint Half Eagles from 1858 to 1864, it compares in overall rarity to the 1858-S, 1860-S and 1863-S and is only slightly less rare than the others. Almost all known examples of this date are well worn with VF and lower being all one can expect to find. The 1865-S ranks second in the entire $5 series according to average grade and I do not know of a specimen that would grade better than EF. The very few specimens that I have seen were rather softly struck and the mintmark was always quite weak.

Thanks for looking, hopefully the next one comes easier :D

Wow!!! So jealous of you west coast guys and your gold coins! Sorry, don't mean to sound like Tom complaining about those east coast guys finding colonial stuff. Congrats on the amazing bucket lister, you should be proud!!

OUTSTANDING ! AMAZING ! Holy schinckelschnoffer. Congrats on a great save. I would wish you good luck but I see she's already in you corner. HH Mark

that was a hunt we won't forget any time soon. Congratulations Brian ! It was well deserved after all your research, and driving around to crazy places and adventures. This one was definitely your turn to find.

And the zone you got it out of , had already been hit by myself and another on prior trips. We just didn't get our coils over that (well ... ok .... maybe a *little* skill on your part :signals: )

And you couldn't just get ANY gold coin to fulfill your bucket list. Nnneeoohhhh. You had to get a rare one at that. Welcome to the gold coin club buddy !

A beautiful coin Cal. Fantastic condition, it will hold a very fine value but I'm sure it hold a higher esteem to you. A true Bucketlister in anybody's book. Congrats on a dream recovery. Trapper

Holy COW! That's a beautiful coin! Congrats on the rare find! This should be moved to the eye popping and mind blowing forum. Will you get it graded?

Wow!!! So jealous of you west coast guys and your gold coins! Sorry, don't mean to sound like Tom complaining about those east coast guys finding colonial stuff. Congrats on the amazing bucket lister, you should be proud!!

I'd trade every colonial coin i've ever dug for that gold piece.

Outstanding. Get it slabbed pronto.

Back
Top Bottom