Pulse induction vs Beat Frequency Oscillator

RobertM

Pulse induction vs Beat Frequency Oscillator detector?
This has probably been discussed here, if so, please redirect me to it.
I have a Garrett 250...it is an OK starter, but it 'lies to me' a lot and I get many false signals.
I have looked at specs for a few others, but does not seem to be a big difference unless I switch to Pulse Induction.
For instance, I looked at the Garrett 400, but more power just seems like it will pick up more rubbish as well and not discriminate any better.
Any ideas?

This has probably been discussed here, if so, please redirect me to it.
I have a Garrett 250...it is an OK starter, but it 'lies to me' a lot and I get many false signals.
I have looked at specs for a few others, but does not seem to be a big difference unless I switch to Pulse Induction.
For instance, I looked at the Garrett 400, but more power just seems like it will pick up more rubbish as well and not discriminate any better.
Any ideas?

Robert.
The VLF detectors made today. All will lie to you on ferrous sometimes. Some better than others percentage wise.
Ace 400 a better detector overall than ace 250.
At Pro a better detector than both of the above.

There are detectors out there better than all of the above.
They will cost you more usually.

Pulse induction detectors have very limited disc capabilities compared to the better VLF detectors as far as iron goes.
In areas with loads of iron, you will not likely ever see a real experienced detectorist using a pulse induction detector.

This could change though.
There is a manufacturer currently developing a new platform. It could be a game changer for performance in and around ferrous materials.
I haven’t seen or used this detector though.
Time will tell.
The manufacturer is looks like First Texas.
The original name was Manta, but I think this name has changed.

So stay tuned.
Hopefully in near future you and the rest of us will indeed hear and see some actual real data shared on this new release.

<SNIP>

Beat Frequency Oscillator detectors are ancient technology. Not too deep, very unstable and little/no discrimination. Perhaps you meant Very Low Frequency (VLF) induction detectors?

What they ^ said:

If you want decent discrimination (but never perfect) then get a newer VLF detector.

Most PI Detectors have NO discrimination although some can do high verse low conductors but cannot exclude Ferrous.
Where a PI works better than a VLF is on very mineralized soils.

Back
Top Bottom