• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Water hunting with Sharks

Hermit

Just wondering has anyone had any encounters with the shark kind while detecting?Are they attracted to metal detection noise or clouds of sand and debris of digging?

Ya gotta determine what's more important, Scott... the gold or the view!?! :D

Just for the record.
I am a former NAUI scuba instructor. What we used to tell our students was this:
Sharks are unpredictable.
Statistically, any ocean in the world, except the Dead Sea, when you stick your big toe in the water, there is a LARGE shark within 1/2 mile of you. He knows you are there as they can sense you up to two miles away.

Just thought I'd brighten your day.

SHARKS

I DETECT FLORIDA BEACHES NEAR TAMPA BAY WHICH IS A MAJOR BREEDING GROUND FOR MANY TYPS OF SHARKS. BECAUSE I DETECT EARLY IN THE MORNING, USUALLY FIRST LIGHT, YOU HAVE TO BE VERY AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS. SHARKS HERE HUG THE SHORELINE ALOT SO THAT IS A CONSTANT CONCERN. I NEVER EVER WATER DETECT AFTER DARK....JUST HAVE TO USE COMMON SENCE. :shock:

Re: SHARKS

HEY HERMIT said:
I DETECT FLORIDA BEACHES NEAR TAMPA BAY WHICH IS A MAJOR BREEDING GROUND FOR MANY TYPS OF SHARKS. BECAUSE I DETECT EARLY IN THE MORNING, USUALLY FIRST LIGHT, YOU HAVE TO BE VERY AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS. SHARKS HERE HUG THE SHORELINE ALOT SO THAT IS A CONSTANT CONCERN. I NEVER EVER WATER DETECT AFTER DARK....JUST HAVE TO USE COMMON SENCE. :shock:

I've done a lot of fishing off the beaches in Florida. Most people have no idea how many sharks are swimming with them! I've caught nurse sharks and black tips right near where people swim. It's really funny to watch their reactions when they see them! :lol:

I have not graduated to shark fishin yet, but I watch the guys fish for them all the time.

You can catch 'em anytime, but they really feed at night... and I've seen them catch 'em in two feet of water.

For the most part, I don't think they bother people too much... The ones around here that are the most aggressive are Bull Sharks... They are the ones you have to really look out for, extremely unpredictable. Also, you wouldn't want to be swimming with them during breeding time, but then you'll know when this is happening because it usually makes the news... "Hundreds of Sharks Swarm the Beach"

It's is fun to see people running out of the water when it's only a manatee swimming by... and they are a very curious bunch...

Kat

Maybe when he vaccuumed his keyboard, he sucked up the Caps Lock key an' lost it. You guys ever think of that? :lol:
(I did that just yesterday "house-cleaning", to Snowy's comp! Shhhh! She probably won't notice it.)

Ease up guys.It is not me using the cap lock!I know there are sharks,plenty of them.I've surfed with them plenty of times.Ive had them rub against me while sitting on the board.That will scare the S%$@ out of ya.I also have fished for them and caught them in the shrimp net and gill nets.I also know if you want to attract them have their eyes roll back and bite any and every thing in their path,give them something that is bloody and or is reflective like flashing silver.But the question is still the same.Does the electronic signals from a detector have any bearing on them?If it does,great,that would be good to know.If it doesnt,great,that would be good to know.If no one knows.thats great too!Just kinda wondered if any studies or observations had been compiled.Thought maybe the saltwater detectorist would have noticed.At the same time,I'm pretty sure someone in the middle of the country that has never seen a shark or been in salt water would know much about it.

Well... you can put ME in the "don't know" list. Never been there... don't ever wanna be.
(When you live on the San Andreas Fault... you MOVE! DUH! :D)

No sorry Hermit I have no clue. But when I'm detecting and a dog comes around I get the distinct feeling he hear's the detector even though I have headphones on. Dogs even hear those silent whistles. So I wouldn't be suprised if sharks could hear the signals, but whether they are attracted to them I do not know.

Thats great! When did they move the San andreas fault to the east coast?

Couple years ago. Don't you watch th' news? :lol:
(that was a generalized expression.)

Thanks for the reply Carol.They are probably not attracted.Seems if they were,either you or another seasoned water detectorist would have noticed.

No, I haven't ever heard of a detectorist ever being attacked by a shark.

Have you ever seen a movie called "Into the Blue?" It's a new release and it's about diving wrecks in the Caribbean, with plenty of shark action. No cgi sharks, all the real deal. If you get this movie watch the behind the scenes of how they made it. They use detectors in the water too.

I would be more worried about the scoop than the detector, because it is reflective.

Thank Goodness there are no fresh water sharks, at least here in Central Alberta! Kinda makes me a tad bit nervous about deep surf water hunting in the oceans. Be safe out there! H.H.:-)

Back
Top Bottom