All Metal Mode vs Discrimination mode

Steven P

I thought it would be interesting to see an informal poll of which people most often used while coin hunting. All Metal, or some type of Discrimination or Notch mode?

I'd be willing to bet the majority of people coin hunting are notched to some degree, I know I sure am. This of course surely must exclude beach hunters, as though most hunt in AM, because PI is always AM, they are not there to coin shoot, they are looking for the real treasure.

I hunt in both at the same time. :D Mixed mode.

If I had to hunt in just one it would be discrimination for sure. Although I have it turned way down.

Last edited:
I usually start off my coin shooting by rejecting just iron. I will try for the rings until I get tired. Then pull tabs are notched. I have been using the 6T. The VDI numbers sure do help in deciding to dig.

Until about 10 years ago I was working in high disc. Then I slowed down , lowered the disc and started digging lots more coins & gold items. It has made a huge difference, Steve in so az

I usually just discriminate out iron, and let my ears do the rest of the target analysis.

With my meager machine I hunt with high sensitivity and low disc most of the time. Depending where I am at and how much time I have, sometimes I go slow and dig just about every signal, other times I cruise through and dig the real strong high tones. If I hunt in the woods I usually go all metal.

I only have a Ace 250, so I mostly do All Mode at the beach, but today I thought I'd use the Coin mode and then Jewelry. I had a good Day and know I pasted over most junk (because I could see the caps and tabs), but the foil came up a bunch in those modes, more than in the All mode. It could be from all the Fireworks wrappers too, being the 4th.

Modes have taught me a few things, but I wonder what I'm missing.

Michael

Discrimination for me but set very low, about foil. I have used the A/M but not much because tons of trash at most locations.

I always used a bit of discrim, that is until I started using the Golmdmaxx. Now I don't get the choice as it's AM. You do get used to the tones after a while.

Like Detector,

I like mixed mode, but only for a short time. Just too noisy for me. On wet areas I know to have deep targets, I will hunt in AM, and flip back to disc
if I run into a deep compact target. If I get no response, I may dig on a hunch. Some days it pays off. Park hunting is only in disc. Water hunting with my Beach hunter is always AM.....Gil

I run a custom mode. There is some sort of metal rocks that ring up on the low end of pennys. SO I usually search pennys, dimes, quarters. ohh they also ring up on nickles.

I usually find stuff everytime so that keeps me happy :)

depending on site I use both-if using disc-I notch the iron.mostly just hunt with ears -listening

I normally notch out iron... but if there is tons of it im having to dig thru i use AM and reduce my sensitivity. The detector recovers quicker and you have less SHUT DOWN time on the coil so i dont miss as many targets. Sometimes the reduced sensitivity will help just because you arent getting the deeper iron.

Dew

It depends on where I'm hunting and what I'm hunting for. If it's coins/jewlery I use Mixed Mode when the minerals and trash will let me. Otherwise use very low discrimination and study the numbers on the readout. and spectagraph. Even then I dig lots of pulltabs 'cause that's where the gold is.

Back
Top Bottom