XP Deus and what it means for Minelab

I am going to buy the Deus with my income tax return. Looking forward to seeing how it stacks up against the almighty Etrac.

The battery in coil issue concerns me a little though.

I also wonder if it's better in iron than the Etrac because I am getting tired of chasing iron falsing with the etrac that sound like coins

I am going to buy the Deus with my income tax return. Looking forward to seeing how it stacks up against the almighty Etrac.

The battery in coil issue concerns me a little though.

I also wonder if it's better in iron than the Etrac because I am getting tired of chasing iron falsing with the etrac that sound like coins

Nah, dont sweat it..the batteries used in the detector are quality stuff, they will last many years and the batteries are covered with a 2 year warranty like the rest of the detector.

Think you can chance all the batteries yourself, when the batteries need replacement. At least the Battery in the remote and headphones can be user replaced.

Hah, Deus was designed to be used in the ancient roman sites full of nasty bits of iron, it runs circles around E-trac in heavy iron places.:D

I hope the Deus causes a flurry of purchases from people who always need to have the latest and greatest...

...maybe then, we'll see an increased supply of used eTracs, and I'll be able to pick one up! :D

I hope the Deus causes a flurry of purchases from people who always need to have the latest and greatest...

...maybe then, we'll see an increased supply of used eTracs, and I'll be able to pick one up! :D

You may be in luck, because Xp Deus is so expensive, that some E-trac users may be forced to sell their detectors to afford this "new" hot ticket.:roll:

beam, Deus is not the latest as it is on the market some 2 years and 4 months, only you in the USA have overlooked it, but yes, it is one of the greatest.
I can assure all that batteries are not a problem, I use Deus for 20 months, and yes I feel that battery in the coil has lost some 30 - 35% of capacity and lasting now for some 10 hrs after a full charge. I am going to repleace it myself next month. Batteries in the remote and headphones do not need repleacement as yet.

Hey Finn, I saw this at Dankowskis forum. Is this true? Since you own one I figure you could shed some light on the matter....

"The 'underwater issue' has a curious cause. Water absorbs radio signals at 2.4GHz, which is why it's not a useful radio frequency, as atmospheric moisture blocks it. Microwave ovens run at this frequency because water absorbs it so readily. This is why the 2.4 GHz radio band (ISM, industrial,scientific,medical) was opened-up licence-free: it was seen as not commercially useful. But it does mean your Deus coil won't work underwater. Presumably neither will most WiFi, 2.4GHz model R/C gear, bluetooth equipment and many more things."

Here is the forum I am talking about, seems to be some good info for anyone considering the deus...

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,25394

Hey Finn, I saw this at Dankowskis forum. Is this true? Since you own one I figure you could shed some light on the matter....

"The 'underwater issue' has a curious cause. Water absorbs radio signals at 2.4GHz, which is why it's not a useful radio frequency, as atmospheric moisture blocks it. Microwave ovens run at this frequency because water absorbs it so readily. This is why the 2.4 GHz radio band (ISM, industrial,scientific,medical) was opened-up licence-free: it was seen as not commercially useful. But it does mean your Deus coil won't work underwater. Presumably neither will most WiFi, 2.4GHz model R/C gear, bluetooth equipment and many more things."

Here is the forum I am talking about, seems to be some good info for anyone considering the deus...

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,25394

I dont know much about detecting technology, but the Deus coil does not work underwater at all without some kind of antenna and this antenna can be easily made for yourself, like this:

http://www.abenteuer-schatzsuche.de/images/xpuwkabel.jpg

http://www.abenteuer-schatzsuche.de/images/1980.jpg

http://www.abenteuer-schatzsuche.de/images/1982.jpg

OK , Couldn't let this ride out any longer....
The answer to this thread is no, Erac users do not have anything to worry about when compared side by side to the XP.

I had a chance to use the XP about a year ago before the distributor in Mass started carrying them and any dealer ever held one .

I will give the XP deuce credit for design and portability and overall futuristic look. Performance is not quite what it should be for that price. It has fast recover, multi frequency I like the wireless IDEA but the limitations effect the performance in some cases. For that price it better work flawless . You want wireless there is a great detector the VX3 wireless headphones Blue tooth Color display nice menu browsing and large screen . In my opinion if you are charging that much you better bring it . The XP's Screen ,not impressed for the price. The block graphics not good for the price they lost in this area. Standard COLOR TFT SCREEN BIG and highly visual Wholesale $30USD. There isn't enough technology in that detector to justify that cost. Target separation compared to the Etrac , Etrac had it every time , Depth Etrac had it every time. Speed XP had it all the time.

For that price and its performance level it's wayyyyyy OFF should be a heck of allot less. No way shape or form is it on the level of an Etrac while the Etrac is not without its flaws such as slow processor, heavy and a few other minor issues that need improvement on. The XP in my opinion is not worth the price point ,get a fisher or etrac and you will already save a boat load of money with the same performance, and you can get your coil wet. You will just lose out of having a transformer for a detector.

Xp duece is fast lightweight and portable. Utilizing Bluetooth offers some problems to the user as everyone will soon discover. I am a fan of wireless but from an engineering and practical use for a detector there are limitations. The display that is held onto the detector shaft with a magnet, not a good design. I cant imagine how many times guys will lay their detector down and the detector will fall over on its side and the magnetized display will have to be constantly adjusted.
For us relic guys putting your detector in the thick and pulling that detector out of a tight spot would be a no- no with the XP . If a branch catches that magnetized display and it knocks it off its perch and hits the ground that's gonna hurt the wallet for sure. You can always put the display in in the nifty belt pouch and Set it and forget it . I don't know about you but who wants fiddle with a pouch on their belt every time they come across a target and need further information? To me that's pointless If you are looking for a good beep and dig detector get a Tesoro save a ton of money and you get a lifetime warranty . You can get a Tesoro and strap a calculator on your hip and get the same feel. When you dig some clad you can use the calculator to add how much money you saved by not getting the XP.
Coils and extra's ? you better ask the dealers if they offer a loan program because they are going to cost serious coin and your option for coil well, you got 1.. I think that's the only edge the XP has over the ETrac , ,,, The price.:shock:

Feel free to contact me with a real professional unbiased opinion on any and all detectors. Customers need to know what they are buying without monetary thoughts getting in the way of a dealers suggestions. There are good and bad points to every detector . You as a consumer deserve to be informed .. As with all purchases do your homework and use common sense. I am not saying the XP is a bad detector overall, I am saying it is way to much for what it offers and when you compare it to an Etrac there is a clear winner to that question....

I've been wondering why all detector LCD technology is still stuck in the late 80's. You would think with the cell phone market today they could use some of that technology and give us large, easy to read, clear color displays for fairly cheap. Touch screen would also be nice as well as button conrols.

Apparently he must not be an XP dealer....:lol: I am leaning towards an XP for a few reasons over the Etrac. Mainly Weight..... I have recently had neck surgery and I am not able to swing 5 #'s all day. If they would make an Etrac that weighs a reasonable amount I would buy it in a second. I have read many reviews on this machine and Ned's is about the only bad one I have read...... Ya they are expensive but so is a nice set of golf clubs or shotgun or rifle or whatever. At least that's the logic I am using on my wife... LOL
I guess everybody is entitled to their opinion but seems like a nice machine to me. Time will tell I guess. HH :yes:

I think you should look to Europe for honest reviews. This is not a new detector. In fact it has been out or quite a while. I don't like scrolling or looking at menus to make adjustments to my detector. I am a new user to the E Trac and it has more than enough settings for me. I hope I can get it dialed in and sort of set it and forget it. So some new detector be it XYZ or X3 or what ever will not impress me with settings. I want to hunt and know I am using the detector to it's fullest with out second guessing myself. I hope that we don't go down the app road with detectors. Or I'll just keep the Sovereign with it's old fashion knobs. So far the only the only advantage I hear in this detector is the weight. If other manufacturers of top end detectors would have put some thought into ergonomics I doubt this detector would making a splash at all. I have only been complaining about heavy detectors since the 70's. I wonder if auto manufacturers ever put thought into gas mileage?

Apparently he must not be an XP dealer....:lol: I am leaning towards an XP for a few reasons over the Etrac. Mainly Weight..... I have recently had neck surgery and I am not able to swing 5 #'s all day. If they would make an Etrac that weighs a reasonable amount I would buy it in a second. I have read many reviews on this machine and Ned's is about the only bad one I have read...... Ya they are expensive but so is a nice set of golf clubs or shotgun or rifle or whatever. At least that's the logic I am using on my wife... LOL
I guess everybody is entitled to their opinion but seems like a nice machine to me. Time will tell I guess. HH :yes:

No Not an XP dealer. I am also a dealer for many other detectors and have no problem pointing out issues with them as well. So it really does not factor into whether I am a dealer or not. My Opinion was not negative but subjective in pointing out strong issues with it's overall design ,performance and my favorite COST. Just trying to give a true opinion of whats out there. Again , maybe you didn't read my post correctly but every detector has a flaw some more then others . The XP's flaw is the price point and what they are offering at that price point. Yes it's light but so is a T2, G2, F75. Etc. And nothing is proprietary like the Xp. It's so new no one has it yet to evaluate here in the U.S. I've already seen it an played around with it. I'm no expert but was able to asses the detector pretty quickly. And as I said the performance was there and I enjoyed the XP's design and it's simplicity but came up short in some areas against the Etrac. If it was allot less I would be happy even with the 1 extra coil they currently offer you. I can live with the little quarks,but when you spend that much and you have antiquated displays and magnets holding your control box it doesn't bode well in my opinion. Can you imagine if you lay that detector on the ground in iron invested soil and those magnets pull up the soil and iron ? It will look like a manga doodle before days end. I am rough on my equipment and it better perform for the cost of these machines. Maybe if enough people buy it at the intro price it will bring the price of manufacturing down...

Just my opinion with allot of knowledge behind it.

You made some vaild points and now if I get one of these I am going to have to invest in a hard hat and safety glasses when all that iron starts flying out of the ground to get at that magnet.... :laughing: :laughing: Just kidding... No i see your point as it is a lot of $$ but what the heck isn't overpriced today....Like I said before if they could make a lighter etrac I would be inline for one..... HH

Back
Top Bottom