Scrimshaw

aaronc

Forum Supporter
Friend of mine gave me this little flat horn few years back for some deer I brought him..finally got around to putting some scrim on it. This side is done...going to be a map on other side

Attachments

• Flat Horn Scrimshaw 054resize.jpg
    Flat Horn Scrimshaw 054resize.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 249
What tools are you using to do the scrimshaw?

They come from a tool and die shop in Illinois. They have a store on ebay,,..not sure if its against the rules to post the link so I took a pic of the card they sent with my orders....hopefully that will be okay.

They were recommended by someone else on a powder horn forum...they are extremely high quality instruments. The body of the black one is brass,..the red one is stainless steel. The tips are replaceable carbide and are SHARP. They're mounted to the body with set screws.

I'm not affiliated with them in anyway just for the record. Never spoken to them,..just a satisfied costumer. -

Attachments

• Flat Horn Scrimshaw 049resize.jpg
    Flat Horn Scrimshaw 049resize.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 132
  • resize.jpg
    resize.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 171
  • scrimshaw tools 013resize.jpg
    scrimshaw tools 013resize.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 138
OK, Aaron, and this is your first attempt at scrimshaw work?
If so, doggone nice work, and I hate you. If I tried that it would have to get posted on something like "EPICFAIL.com".

Roger

OK, Aaron, and this is your first attempt at scrimshaw work?
If so, doggone nice work, and I hate you. If I tried that it would have to get posted on something like "EPICFAIL.com".

Roger

Thanks for the comments zeemang,...and no Roger I cant claim its my first. I do lots of piddlin here and there with different things,..my first actual scrimshaw was this federal style eagle on a scrap horn. So, the one in the OP was my 2nd...but the 1st on an actual "finished horn".

Attachments

• 1st scrimshaw 025resize.jpg
    1st scrimshaw 025resize.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 152
Thanks for the comments zeemang,...and no Roger I cant claim its my first. I do lots of piddlin here and there with different things,..my first actual scrimshaw was this federal style eagle on a scrap horn. So, the one in the OP was my 2nd...but the 1st on an actual "finished horn".

You certainly have an artistic talent! I can’t seem to draw paint or anything similar. I do tie fishing flies and am a woodworker, but that is a different art altogether.

You certainly have an artistic talent! I can’t seem to draw paint or anything similar. I do tie fishing flies and am a woodworker, but that is a different art altogether.

Appreciate the comment,....I haven't looked into the fly tie thing but think it is darn cool although I'm more of a hunter than fisherman. You should post up some close up pics.
I'll never really be a woodworker. I do some basic stuff through the year,..usually some sort of base for something else to sit on. As per some of my other post I refinish an old tool on occasion. I really enjoy using a router and also the sanding finishing process,..most other power tools I can take or leave...I use them when I have to. The sound of a skill saw sends electricity down my spine,, I always wear plugs but just don't like it much. Kudos to all the guys who make the beautiful tables and such,..it'll probably never be me. Weird how that works. Most of my stuff is carving or ink oriented with not much measuring involved. I am fixing to fire up my lathe though,..

Thanks for the kind words Digger - Aaron

Back
Top Bottom