Gotta Dig That Iron

wbindia

I had the opportunity to dig in South Carolina the beginning of the month on a 16 square mile plus track of land in the Low County that had both civil war and Rev War Artifacts. We must have walked approximately 20-25 miles over the two days. I only had recovered up to that time a silver ring marked: (COIN) inside the band and a small Kepi buckle that gave no VDI on my XP Deus using Deus fast that was down almost a foot. Lesson learned no VDI is good sign-dig those faint but no VDI signals.

In a different section in searched a gully washout and figured this had to be good as any other area to dig. I got a low mid 40s tone on my Deus which indicated a low irony sound and dug down to stare at an old rusty thick pipe. I tossed it aside to recycle later and not more than 5 feet away at about 4 inches in depth I received the same low mid 40s iron tone. DANG I had the other part of that blasted iron pipe Or so I thought! Careful extraction revealed I had some slender iron rod as a tool part maybe - but not until I had it out of the ground did my brain fully realize what I had recovered; my first bayonet-an Enfield bayonet that was complete.

Although both Federal and Southern troopers were issued the British Enfield musket I have a feeling this was used by a former Rebel trooper as it was recovered in SC. After 2 weeks in the electrolysis bath, she looks purty diggers. Remember dig that iron! Or someone will. Happy Hunting.

Attachments

• 9A06E48B-042C-4EA1-81BE-B76C2702171F.jpeg
    9A06E48B-042C-4EA1-81BE-B76C2702171F.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 756
  • 1715C02F-B89B-4CCA-AF0B-430B69775B8E.jpeg
    1715C02F-B89B-4CCA-AF0B-430B69775B8E.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 728
Last edited:
Congrats on the bayonet. Awesome find!

And dang...16 square miles?? The only places that I know of that are that big are WMAs and National Forests.

Well, this "gotta dig the iron" admonition is location-specific. I'm sure you can acknowledge that there's other locations where this admonition would be fool-hearty. Right ?

Out here in the west, doing ghost-townsy sites, we reject iron. Lest we go psycho. But then again, we're not expecting/anticipating items like.

Well, this "gotta dig the iron" admonition is location-specific. I'm sure you can acknowledge that there's other locations where this admonition would be fool-hearty. Right ?

Out here in the west, doing ghost-townsy sites, we reject iron. Lest we go psycho. But then again, we're not expecting/anticipating items like.

Tom-in CA very astute, correct location, location, location determines whether to dig iron or not-in a colonial/civil war site like I was at in SC earlier in the month-your neck of the woods-probably NOT...

I'm in a conundrum here and one of the reasons I haven't really gone hunting. I get the "dig the iron" concept but living in an area where there is natural iron ore (Alleghany County VA had iron mines in operation from the 1790s to the 1920s when cheaper better iron was found up north). I live on a 200 year old road on a site that had a house there at least dating to the 1850s and have a friend that lives at a tavern site that dates back to at least 1805 but the bloody metal detector won't stop going off. Between square cut nails and iron ore I haven't found anything fun yet :-) lol

That is an awesome find for sure. I agree on the iron digging but there is definitely a limit. In super old and productive areas I do dig some questionable signals and have been rewarded but not too often. Congratulations on an awesome find and nice job on the cleanup

If you don't dig iron signals, you're missing out on some great relics. No Civil War era relics here in RI, but there are a lot of 1700's items to be found. Flintlocks, trade axes, Rev War era stirrups, cannonballs and even a sword is a possibility. Dig those iron signals, especially in the woods!

Congrats on the bayonet. Awesome find!

And dang...16 square miles?? The only places that I know of that are that big are WMAs and National Forests.

Busted!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom