Opinions on Best all "around metal" detector

fieldsjoe89

I was just curious on what everyone's opinion is on the best all around metal detector? I currently have a Garrett GTI 1500, but I've always been partial to White's metal detectors. I guess that comes from watching the White's commercials on tv when I was a kid.

I am new to this, and I love my White's XLT, but I have no experience with any others to compare with. I think I will be satisfied with the XLT for a long time.

I'm new myself, I've had a an older radio shack one I got a few years back and a White's beach hunter. I wanted one with an actually screen so I sold the beach hunter and got my current detector. Now I am looking into getting maybe a White's MXT pro eventually but wanted to get some opinions first.

Everyone has their favorites, but one thing you can be sure of is that your will get good useful info from these guys and gals here.

Eastern NC huh? The better half and I have been hitting New Bern twice a year the last few years to recharge the batteries, can't wait to bring the detector next time.

Yeah, actually I am station here in Havelock, NC just about 15 minutes or so from New Bern. I was actually up that way this past weekend trying to find places to dig, not much luck though.

Depends on your budget and what you like to hunt. I love my V3I and thought I was getting in over my head at first, but even on factory programs its been a beast in the field. Ive tripled my finds quite easily. Any detector can be a deadly tool in capable hands, even budget models.;)

Depends on so many factors. I hunt beaches, forests, and parks and for me the Etrac is great. Haven't tried any of the other top of the line machines however so I've got nothing to compare it to aside from seeing what others find in similar conditions with their Whites/Tesoro/Garrett/Whatever. I'm pretty happy with what my Etrac leads me to dig. :D

I'm partial to the White's DFX for my all-around machine. My DFX is at home on a salt water beach to prospecting in the mountains. The DFX has something like 12 different coils available from small 4" DD or concentric, to 18" Bigfoot coils. It's a great relic, tot lot or park machine and perhaps the best cherry picker on the market. Greatest of all is a good used one can be bought at a mid-level price even tho it competes with the high-end market.

For me a good all-around detector is above average in all categories of hunting. I think the DFX fits the bill with the features and performance of a top-of-the-line at a mid-level price.

I'm partial to the White's DFX for my all-around machine. My DFX is at home on a salt water beach to prospecting in the mountains. The DFX has something like 12 different coils available from small 4" DD or concentric, to 18" Bigfoot coils. It's a great relic, tot lot or park machine and perhaps the best cherry picker on the market. Greatest of all is a good used one can be bought at a mid-level price even tho it competes with the high-end market.

For me a good all-around detector is above average in all categories of hunting. I think the DFX fits the bill with the features and performance of a top-of-the-line at a mid-level price.

:agreed::goodpost:

Tough Question, but..

I think I'll go with the "All Around 2500." Light, turn on and go, sensitive and deep. Great discrimination and seperation with fast recovery times. Good in the sand, water,, dirt, mud, blazing heat, and wintery cold. For just a little more money, you could upgrade to the "All Around 3000," and you wouldn't even have to pinpoint or dig the target! :laughing:

I'm sorry. Seriously, I am just a bad man.. :p

I believe is several machines. You need a good PI unit for depth. You need a little VLF totlot and park sweeper, and you can always use a nice multi-freq unit! No machine does it all, period. Some do certain things better than others. Experience and time on the headphones is the key to every machine.

I agree that it is best to start with a less expensive enrty/intermediate level machine. However, this also depneds a bit on how much time and effort you have to dedicate to learning the hobby. I tend to pick things up pretty quick, and I'm stubborn and won't give up on something until I have learned it.
My first real machine was an MXT Pro, which some consider an advanced machine. I found it easy to set up and easy to use. Am I an expert with it? No. Am I proficient enough with it to have fun and find good finds. Yes. I think it is probably the best all around detector in my opinion. Everybody will have their different preferences...shop around for features and prodduct reviews.
I have become comfortable enough with detecting that I bought a Minelab E Trac that I will be assembling today and starting to learn.

Back
Top Bottom