First cold call, success!

bazooka

Just wanted to stop by and say I got my first cold call permission! I won't go into too much detail but the property is under control of the American Legion and I called the number to reserve the hall, talked to the guy a bit about the history of the property the AL post is on (I've done a lot of old newspaper reading), and he said go ahead, and if anyone asks, to say he gave me the ok.

This property was part of the city park and goes back to around 1900. I think it underwent some pretty major ground disruption in the early 50's when the hall was built and the land donated (no longer park), and it's probably been hunted too. But it's a large area with age (for this area anyway) and it's not technically on public land, so I'm optimistic.

Thanks for everyone who has asked for or given advice on permissions here, I've read several threads going back a few years and gleaned a lot of help from them.

I'm 1 for 1 and just getting started! Feels really good to break the ice.

If you find the key date S-mint barber dime : That's the one I lost there. Kindly mail it to me. Thanx !

Congrats and good luck!
I find permissions aren't nearly as hard to get when you have a legitimate conversation with people (like you renting the hall). I just brought my car to a body shop that's behind an old Victorian mansion (now converted to a two family). I asked the bodyshop owner about it, and he said it's his. So I just asked if he'd mind if I brought my metal detector over and had a look around. He said "why would I mind? You can keep whatever you find, too. Just let me know when, so I can tell the renters"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats and good luck!
I find permissions aren't nearly as hard to get when you have a legitimate conversation with people (like you renting the hall). I just brought my car to a body shop that's behind an old Victorian mansion (now converted to a two family). I asked the bodyshop owner about it, and he said it's his. So I just asked if he'd mind if I brought my metal detector over and had a look around. He said "why would I mind? You can keep whatever you find, too. Just let me know when, so I can tell the renters"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I realize that the way I worded it was ambiguous. I didn't call to rent the hall, I called the number that someone would call if they were to rent the hall. At first, I called the number on a website I found (one of those business listing pages like yelp (which I despise, but not them)). It went straight to a message with two numbers to call if I was inquiring about renting the hall and the first name of the guy. I tried the first number and straight to voice mail. The second number, he picked up.

I'm hoping to get out there tomorrow morning. It's raining now and supposed to rain a bit tomorrow. I'll probably go for a little bit at least. Hard to let a permission sit idle!

When I was a kid the American Legion hall hosted all kinds of dances and community activities. It has a wood floor and conventional foundation. Your permission sounds the same. No chance they would give me permission as pristine as the turf is maintained.

Don't forget around the edges of the parking lot. Good luck, sure like to see what you find.

Thanks guys. I had a good hunt yesterday that I'm making a video. I think when they built the place, they filled the whole field with fill. (hehe). So I didn't find anything older than the 50's, but I did knock out a washington and a rosie. It's been a long time since I've found two silver in a hunt so it was good for me. I need to go back and hit close the building with a small coil, the pulltabs are CRAZY thick.

Any ideas on the horse thing or the musical reeds? I found the reeds on the surface near the flag pole. Did someone go postal on their instrument or what?

Attachments

• 20220228_085852 copy.jpg
    20220228_085852 copy.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 278
Any ideas on the horse thing or the musical reeds? I found the reeds on the surface near the flag pole. Did someone go postal on their instrument or what?

The horse thing is saddle trim

Steve

Attachments

• circle-y-used-circle-y-western-silver-trim-trail-s.jpg
    circle-y-used-circle-y-western-silver-trim-trail-s.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 289
Those are really some awesome finds.
Saddle trim and two silvers are great.

Thanks, I was hoping for older stuff, but I could tell the dirt wasn't natural so that stuff is buried deep I'm sure. Quite happy with 2 silvers though.

I could be mistaken but those reeds look like they are from something like an accordion. I say this because they have a reed on each side of the plate indicating they played on 2 directions of air flow.

I could be mistaken but those reeds look like they are from something like an accordion. I say this because they have a reed on each side of the plate indicating they played on 2 directions of air flow.

That makes a lot of sense, and would explain why there were so many strewn about. They came up like a quarter so it was kind of annoying lol.

Bazooka, You should tell the American Legion you'd like to bring your finds to the next meeting so all of the members can see what you found. :interesting:

I'm sure they'd be interested to see, and you might even get some invitations and permissions to hunt some of the members lands! :aok:

Bazooka, You should tell the American Legion you'd like to bring your finds to the next meeting so all of the members can see what you found. :interesting:

I'm sure they'd be interested to see, and you might even get some invitations and permissions to hunt some of the members lands! :aok:

Now that is an interesting idea. Very interesting indeed. Most of the homes in this town are old homes so I'd take a wild guess that at least 50% of them live in silver age houses. Once I go back and finish up with the small coil, I might do just that. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom