Just realized how out of shape I am.

I am 54 years old and run several marathons a year as well as numerous triathlons. I am not bragging, I am thankful that I can. My father died of a massive heart attack at 54 and I swore that I was not going to follow in his footsteps in that aspect. This July I will be doing an Ironman race consisting of a 2.4 mile open water swim, 112 mile bike ride through the mountains followed by a 26.2 mile marathon run through the same mountains. You must finish in 17 hours or under. If you finish at 17:01 no metal and no finish. THis race truly test the limits of what kind of punishment a persons mind and body can take.
I can detect 12 hours a day for days and days. The better shape you are in the more you can really enjoy life.
That's incredible! I'm the same age as you and couldn't imagine doing anything like that.

So I decided to go re-hunt one of my older sites that I used to detect a couple of decades ago. The place is a wooded area on the side of a hill.. When I was in my 20s I'd spend hours detecting there with a big heavy White's 5900 Di Pro and not even get winded. Today after hunting for a whopping 45 minutes I was out of breath with every bone in my body aching. Had to call it quits. The sad part is the hill isn't even all that steep and I was swinging the 2 lb Deus. :laughing:

Anyway, no real point to this thread other than to tell you younger guys to enjoy it while you can. Detecting ain't always easy when you're old and fat. :lol:

Sucks getting old... A bad back and other parts do not help either... LOL

I am 54 years old and run several marathons a year as well as numerous triathlons. I am not bragging, I am thankful that I can. My father died of a massive heart attack at 54 and I swore that I was not going to follow in his footsteps in that aspect. This July I will be doing an Ironman race consisting of a 2.4 mile open water swim, 112 mile bike ride through the mountains followed by a 26.2 mile marathon run through the same mountains. You must finish in 17 hours or under. If you finish at 17:01 no metal and no finish. THis race truly test the limits of what kind of punishment a persons mind and body can take.
I can detect 12 hours a day for days and days. The better shape you are in the more you can really enjoy life.

WOW, that is incredible !!!! You have to be in super tip top shape for that !
......I'd be happy to build up to a mile run again :lol:

I remember seeing a tv news story on a man that started lifting weights in his 60's and at 74 he looked like a smaller version of Arnold Schwarzenegger :shock:

Celebrated 22 years since my 5 way coronary bypass on Feb 6.(go big or go home) Can't swing for too long but I do enjoy beach digs. Good luck and health to all

Congrats, that surgery obviously was a big help !

Awesome job! And that is coming from a former fat man himself LOL!

WOW! Well, don't you look good! Inspiring, bud.

That's really impressive seeing the before and after pics!

Back when I first lost the weight, I would tell people "I'm half the man I used to be" (360 to 180) :lol:

Well I guess at least I'm not alone. :laughing:

Found some old before/after photos, before = 360lbs after = 180lbs
.....before is from soon after I turned 50, after is 7 months later
(these photos are from about 14 years ago)

Man that is impressive!

I've always been on the heavy side, but in my mid 30s I lost 100 lbs. From 280 to 180. For once, I was close to my ideal body weight. Not for long though. After losing the weight I said to myself "hey, I'm thin now.. I'm going to eat!". Then of course I put it all back on again. :no: I can lose weight.. but keeping it off is the hard part. Diets don't work. Gotta make a life style change and commit to it. Being a diabetic, I really need to get my act together soon.

Anyways.. I'm off to go detect the side of that hill again. Be back in 45 minutes. :laughing:

Well I guess at least I'm not alone. :laughing:

Man that is impressive!

I've always been on the heavy side, but in my mid 30s I lost 100 lbs. From 280 to 180. For once, I was close to my ideal body weight. Not for long though. After losing the weight I said to myself "hey, I'm thin now.. I'm going to eat!". Then of course I put it all back on again. :no: I can lose weight.. but keeping it off is the hard part. Diets don't work. Gotta make a life style change and commit to it. Being a diabetic, I really need to get my act together soon.

Anyways.. I'm off to go detect the side of that hill again. Be back in 45 minutes. :laughing:

280 to 180 is a great accomplishment !!!!
(pick up a 100lb bag of something and you realize just how much that is !)

What helps sticking with eating healthier is to allow yourself an occasional small splurge, but you got to be careful as it is easy to allow the splurges to start happening too much :lol:

.....back in 45 minutes from detecting ?
.....does that include 15 minutes travel time there and 15 minutes back ? :laughing:

.....back in 45 minutes from detecting ?
.....does that include 15 minutes travel time there and 15 minutes back ? :laughing:

Luckily its only about a 1/4 mile away from me here at work. I think I was only there for about 30 minutes today though and I'm still tired. :lol:

This is the little hill that's been kickin' my butt:

Attachments

• IMG_5784.jpg
    IMG_5784.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 86
Luckily its only about a 1/4 mile away from me here at work. I think I was only there for about 30 minutes today though and I'm still tired. :lol:

This is the little hill that's been kickin' my butt:

Probably a lot easier walking down than climbing up :lol:

Interesting location uphill from a road, been able to find much there ?

(if not, it's still exercise :lol:) ......and check yourself for ticks !

Interesting location uphill from a road, been able to find much there ?

Its a pretty good area to detect. Its located next to what used to be Desoto Park which dates back to the 1800s, as well as the oldest house in the county (1832). Also, not too far away was a Union Civil War camp.

Back in the day I found lots of old coins there.. Barbers, Injuns and even a couple of Seated coins. Also found a few mini-balls, buttons and other relics.

I just started hunting there again a few weeks ago and so far the only thing worth mentioning is a dateless SLQ. I'm gonna keep at it though.. The place has been hunted for years by me and several other detectorists but I think a few more goodies are still hiding there.

Here's an old postcard which shows the park entrance and the house I mentioned in the background.

Attachments

• card00748_fr.jpg
    card00748_fr.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom