Forum Purchase issue help/advice

H Desert Digger

Forum Supporter
I recently tried to make a couple of small payments to forum members here on the forum thru paypal. I've always used the "payment to retailer" option in the past. Recently I won an auction here on the forum and decided to pay using the friends and family option for the first time. Paypal did not approve of the payment and declined to make it and stated security reasons for declining my payment. I have no problem with either Paypal or this forum, I'm only looking for advice or clarification as to what exactly did happen in this matter.

I made a second attempt to use paypal "friends and family" to pay for a coil from a forum sponser which was also declined by paypal. (coil was less than 75.00)

Can anyone shed any light on this issue for me? Paypal assures me that there is no problem with my account it was just these purchases were declined for the protection of my account. That sounded odd to me???

HDD

That's definitely odd. Maybe these people are being watched by Paypal because of multiple regular sales transactions and friends and family payments? Like Paypal knows that account is used as a business and is trying to get their 3%?

I've had a similar issue last year when I tried to pay for an item on ebay, turned out they wanted extra verification on my part even though I've had a verified account and had been a member since the beginning of PP.

You might want to login to PP website to see if there is something posted regarding the issue or contact them direct for a better clarification.

I just received an email from PP saying they have changed many of their policies. I did not investigate it yet but wonder if this has something to do with it. Maybe they discovered that some obscene amount of money changed hands between people who seemingly have no relationship over an unspecified length of time. You know, someone says like "dude, if we had 3% of this we could retire" kind of thing. BOOM, policy change!

Thats really weird...especially for you PayPallers that have a bit of a pedigree...I bet the assumptions are correct. They are narrowing up the parameters to squeeze some money out of the prolific circumventors using 'Family and Friends'?......Might want to end run the whole mess utilizing MO's for a while?

Thanks for your comments,

It seems I may never know exactly what the reason is, but I'm okay with their decision. I appreciate the fact that they are trying to maintain a secure process to conduct business in. I'm sending both sellers a personal check with their permission and in the future I'll just transfer funds to my bank and pay via my debit or MO or check. Not a big deal but kind of stinks that our lives keep getting harder and harder to do business with one another. What a shame.

HDD

PS...I did call Paypal and spoke with a representative who could not or would not elaborate. Our 20 minute conversation was polite and professional but the rep would not share anything other than the transactions were declined for the security of my account. I brought up the fact that this was my first attempts at using the "freinds & family" option and his response was supportive but unconclusive. He basically sited nothing more than my account security.

Last edited:
Honestly, it could be for any number of reasons, real or fake. I sold stuff on Ebay for awhile and only accepted paypal for payment. Some people you can never please and they will go out of their way to make your life tough because you didn't live up to their expectations.

I had multiple "customers" try put in requests on Paypal and Ebay for things because they found a lower price after the item they bought from me was already shipped, like I would price match after the sale or something??? "Well, you probably should have bought it there then first..." Also if it didn't arrive in 2 days, other customers would put in requests to hold the money through Paypal because somehow they thought I was like Amazon and they should have had it delivered within 48 hours???

I'm not Amazon, not even close although when I was selling...I shipped about 80% of my orders THAT VERY DAY. Companies like Ebay and Paypal log all these complaints and they can count against you even though not merited. All it takes is a few and they start screwing with your account status. I was busting my @ss to complete the orders and get them out fast during Christmas and 99.9% of the time, everything was fine. But it took a LOT of time and wasted patience answering messages and bending over backwards sometimes even at my loss, trying to please the .1% who can't be pleased anyways.

Back
Top Bottom