Carbon fiber shaft

longbow62

Forum Supporter
Who has a carbon fiber shaft for the Equinox and are they worth it? Any lighter? Better balanced? Please name the brand you have.

Who has a carbon fiber shaft for the Equinox and are they worth it? Any lighter? Better balanced? Please name the brand you have.

I'm interested in this question also. I see some are on sale on this site. Wondering what the advantages are. Thanks for posting. Looking forward to the responses.

I made my own upper rod. The size is 22mm x 20mm x 1000mm purchase on the largest bidding site. It can be had for 25 to 30$. Then buy a plugger cam. You need to drill your holes. The advantages is that the rod replaces the middle and end rods and the cam is a better fit that minelabs therefore the wobble issue goes away. The other issue I had is the wholes in the minelab rods where enlarging due to wear. There is a video on YouTube.

I have the Plugger shaft with the carbon fiber lower shaft made my forum member Steveg I really like the lightness and balance of this set up. The new complete carbon fiber shaft set up Steve is now selling looks great!

Hi all.

I am one of the ones selling the carbon-fiber shafts for the Equinox. I know it's not my opinion you are searching for here, but I wanted to quickly post what I see the advantages as being -- in switching to my carbon-fiber shaft vs the stock shaft...

1. NO WOBBLE. I use a very durable, secure cam locking system that results in a wobble free, stiff shaft.

2. NO BUTTON HOLES and thus "universal" adjustment lengths of the lower rod, again due to the very strong/secure cam lock which eliminates the need for the spring button/button hole design on the stock shaft.

3. The ability to counterbalance the shaft, with my optional counter-balance system.

4. Lighter weight -- roughly 2.75 pounds with the 11" coil, vs. roughly 3.0 pounds for the unit with stock shaft.

These are the main advantages, in my opinion -- and are the improvements I was looking to achieve, when designing the shaft. There is also, of course, the side benefit of the better "aesthetic appeal" of carbon-fiber, giving the machine a higher-end look and feel.

Hopefully this helps somewhat, even though I realize this opinion will be viewed as "biased!" I have lots more information that I've typed up in a few different documents -- about the counterweighting, the button holes, and about the shaft itself. If anyone would like more info, just let me know and I'll pass it along.

Thanks!

Steve

(Thanks for the endorsement, choppadude...there are also a couple of reviews of my shaft on YouTube, from a couple of my recent customers. One is short, about 3 minutes, and touches on the high points. The other made a much longer video, from unboxing all the way through a couple of hunts "in the field;" I have these on my Facebook page and can provide you a link if you desire).

These look great. I am very interested. What is the difference between the red and the black other than color?

Also, is the Minelab warranty affected by removing the headset for installation?

Hi all.

I am one of the ones selling the carbon-fiber shafts for the Equinox. I know it's not my opinion you are searching for here, but I wanted to quickly post what I see the advantages as being -- in switching to my carbon-fiber shaft vs the stock shaft...

1. NO WOBBLE. I use a very durable, secure cam locking system that results in a wobble free, stiff shaft.

2. NO BUTTON HOLES and thus "universal" adjustment lengths of the lower rod, again due to the very strong/secure cam lock which eliminates the need for the spring button/button hole design on the stock shaft.

3. The ability to counterbalance the shaft, with my optional counter-balance system.

4. Lighter weight -- roughly 2.75 pounds with the 11" coil, vs. roughly 3.0 pounds for the unit with stock shaft.

These are the main advantages, in my opinion -- and are the improvements I was looking to achieve, when designing the shaft. There is also, of course, the side benefit of the better "aesthetic appeal" of carbon-fiber, giving the machine a higher-end look and feel.

Hopefully this helps somewhat, even though I realize this opinion will be viewed as "biased!" I have lots more information that I've typed up in a few different documents -- about the counterweighting, the button holes, and about the shaft itself. If anyone would like more info, just let me know and I'll pass it along.

Thanks!

Steve

(Thanks for the endorsement, choppadude...there are also a couple of reviews of my shaft on YouTube, from a couple of my recent customers. One is short, about 3 minutes, and touches on the high points. The other made a much longer video, from unboxing all the way through a couple of hunts "in the field;" I have these on my Facebook page and can provide you a link if you desire).

I agree with what you posted. Your prices are very reasonable too.

These look great. I am very interested. What is the difference between the red and the black other than color?

Also, is the Minelab warranty affected by removing the headset for installation?

If you are worried about the warranty, just keep the original rod. There are only two screws holding it in place. You just need the right size allan wrench. I had to tighten mine since the factory tightness was not correct.

Thanks for the kind words, Charly! I appreciate it!

ynnek4 -- the red one that was linked earlier in this thread, is produced by a different person, a guy from Australia (his are called detect-Ed shafts). The black ones you have seen are the ones I produce. I don't know anything about the detect-Ed shafts, except that I don't think he produces the lower rod section -- he just produces the "upper." I produce both, so you could either choose one of his, and use your stock lower rod, choose one of his and use one of my lower rods, or purchase both an upper AND lower from me.

OH -- and the warranty would not be affected by simply removing and re-installing the control box. After all, that is the process that is used (removing and re-installing the control box) to replace the battery in the unit, and Minelab already stated that the user will be able to replace the battery themselves, when that becomes necessary.

Thanks!

Steve

Thanks for the kind words, Charly! I appreciate it!

ynnek4 -- the red one that was linked earlier in this thread, is produced by a different person, a guy from Australia (his are called detect-Ed shafts). The black ones you have seen are the ones I produce. I don't know anything about the detect-Ed shafts, except that I don't think he produces the lower rod section -- he just produces the "upper." I produce both, so you could either choose one of his, and use your stock lower rod, choose one of his and use one of my lower rods, or purchase both an upper AND lower from me.

OH -- and the warranty would not be affected by simply removing and re-installing the control box. After all, that is the process that is used (removing and re-installing the control box) to replace the battery in the unit, and Minelab already stated that the user will be able to replace the battery themselves, when that becomes necessary.

Thanks!

Steve

Awesome! Thanks for your thorough response.

ynnek4 --

Correction -- I made a mistake in discussing Detect-Ed shafts. I am not familiar with his product, so I probably should have just kept my mouth SHUT! LOL!

His clamps are red and black. That's the "red" I thought you were asking about. The clamps on my shaft are all black -- and so that was what I was referring to. HOWEVER, upon closer look, it looks like Detect-ED sells a black version AND a red version of the shaft itself, and so I think that may have been what you were asking about, when you asked the difference between the "red version" and the "black version." My apologies on the screw-up.

So as to not veer longbow's thread any farther into the weeds, I'll back out now...to allow the thread to get "back on track," so that he can get the information he was looking for in the first place, when he asked about the benefits of carbon-fiber shafts vs. the Minelab stock shaft.

Thanks!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom