Cleaning crusty walker half

Jare

I found a walker half dollar in some very moist dirt near a lake. It’s probably been in such circumstances for almost 100 years, and that’s taken a toll on the coin. You can’t even see the date right now. I was wondering if anyone knows a way to clean it up somehow, and make it so i could see the details clearly. I don’t mind if it loses the few shiny parts, as long as it gets to where i can view the details and possibly read the date. Thank you.

Attachments

• D2091EDB-385A-4F73-9F7D-7268C9D95EC9.jpg
    D2091EDB-385A-4F73-9F7D-7268C9D95EC9.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,053
  • 755C96DE-91BF-4257-AC40-EB232322945C.jpg
    755C96DE-91BF-4257-AC40-EB232322945C.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 994
Nice find!

Try electrolysis, either the simpler kind with aluminum foil and baking soda or the stronger type with electrodes.

Just don't use any rubbing or abrasives.

I found a walker 9” down on a saltwater beach that looked similar to yours. I did the tin foil baking soda method. The coin was so far gone the reeding wasn’t there but I did get a date off of it ( my son says he can see it) and you can tell what it is. I’m thinking yours will clean up better because of the fresh water. Whatever you try, post before and after photos and good luck!!

I have before and after photos of mine over on treasurenet.com, I’ll put up a link if you’re interested.

Jare, take a look at the post that I did on a MERCURY DIME CRUSTY it looked bad like yours as I found next to/in river. It came out pretty good-considering.

I just used a aluminum foil/baking soda/boiling water thing with a non-crusty Walking half. Pics in the cleaning silver thread.

Found the technique on YouTube.

That coin is fire-scortched. There is nothing you can do that will harm the value.
I would first try electrolysis, and/or tumbling.

Back
Top Bottom